Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : Swordless Beethro. (Our News for March.)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Swordless Beethro. (+3)  
It is a relief to draw Beethro without sword in hand. Really, it gets boring after a while, to always draw Beethro gripping that two-handed monster blade. Sort of like Michael Flatley, the arms and hands have been sentenced to confinement, limiting their ability to express. In the new cover art for DROD: The City Beneath, he is standing in the middle of some Rooted Hold courtyard with his sword sheathed on his back. Finally I can use his arms to indicate a simple idea--he's lost.

"There is no problem that can't be solved with a really big sword."

But in Rooted Hold there are many problems that can't be solved with a really big sword.

Quickies

You notice that the Illumination came excessively late, and that can only mean one thing: Erik is short on time again. So I will follow a model of ruthless efficiency here, and just give you the barest essentials--DROD announcements, advice on how to cope with your crippling narcissism, and a lengthy rant on the downfall of electronic communication.

You Are #1

NiroZ got severely tired of his contests finishing before I got around to promoting them. So, in a stroke of genius, he made the end date of his contest tied to the Illumination (this thing you are reading). His contest, which involves proving you are the biggest DROD fan, will end three days from now. I hear you making a bunch of whiny self-deprecating noises. "Who me? I'm not the biggest DROD fan. Other people deserve it more than me." Stop. Stop. I don't want hear it. Just stop.

Let me explain to you the three phases of self-promotion. It has been a painful process for me to go through them, and I would just like to save you some time.

1. Narcissism - You think you are fantastically great.
2. Disillusionment - You learn that you aren't fantastically great, and it's a big downer.
3. Opportunism - You notice that a bunch of jerks are being rewarded for saying they are fantastically great, and you want to get in on that action. It's not an ego thing--you just gotta represent yourself, or the world will pass you over.

So even if you don't feel like the #1 DROD fan, take a stab at pretending. Just try it!

contest info

By the way, never ever try to skip step 2 above and go straight to step 3. You gotta ground your opportunism on the deepest, darkest self-doubts. Otherwise, your soul will rot.

Shiny Discs

I'm not even going to try to sell them to you, because it's too late. The manufacturing order is in for Journey's End Smitemaster's Selection CDs. Unfortunately, I have to leave town for a business trip, and the CDs are likely to arrive while I'm in Europe. When I get back in April, I will ship out CDs to people who have already paid.

Fix Your Frigging Spam Settings Already

I am so tired of everybody not getting mail and being surprised about it. Let me tell you something I learned this year. It's a sad, sad truth that crept up on us all:

The Golden Age of Reliable E-Mail Is Gone

Because of spammers and anti-spammers, it is no longer possible to send an e-mail message from point A to point B and know that it will arrive. I don't think this situation will improve anytime soon--it will probably get unimaginably worse, until we reach a point where it is impossible to send an e-mail message without providing a DNA sample. If you want to receive e-mail from Caravel, please add us to your "safelist", "whitelist", "accepted recipients list", "happy addressbook", "supertrusted cyberbuddies" or whatever dumb inconsistent thing your e-mail provider calls it. The mails from the forum go out under "no-reply@caravelgames.com". You might also add "support@caravelgames.com", and "orders@caravelgames.com", or if possible, a blanket permission for e-mails that end in "@caravelgames.com".

For many people, the advice above is moot, because their mail setup doesn't provide a white list or filtering rule functionality. And sometimes the mail provider is blocking mail without giving you any opportunity to change it. (I hate you, verizon.net.) I don't know how to offer specific advice for the myriad configurations out there, unfortunately.

And I don't want to act like it's so frigging important for us to be able to contact you. These are the types of communications you might be involved with. I'll let you consider if any of it is worth fussing about:

* For CaravelNet members, initial setup instructions and new CaravelNet keys are sent through e-mail.
* For Smitemaster's Selection CD subscribers, notifications are sent prior to shipping to make sure you have the right shipping address on file.
* The Illumination mailing list, which includes contest announcements, special offers, the upcoming DROD: The City Beneath release announcement, and at least one other thing, is sent through e-mail.
* Forum post notifications are sent through e-mail.
* Download links when you purchase products or use the download section on our site are sent through e-mail.
* Order and support information is sent through e-mail.
* Shoulder-tapping requests from the Caravel Team are sent through e-mail.

So if any of that stuff is relevant to you, then you might want to take a moment to figure out how e-mail from caravelgames.com can get to you semi-reliably. Sometimes it only takes an extra minute to add a rule in your e-mail settings. Other times, I admit, it is an enormous and unrewarding pain to figure out.

April 1st

I'm going to tell you what the title of the April 1st Illumination will be in advance.

"Terrible Lies and Unexpected Truths"

Now I gotta go get ready to leave the country in an all-fracking hurry.

-Erik

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-25-2007 05:59 PM]
03-24-2007 at 08:27 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
icon Re: Swordless Beethro. (+1)  
So now I can't wait for April due to the nest Illumination and my B-day!
By the way, it's hopeless. I'm no the number 1 fan... :lol

[Last edited by Pilchard VIII at 03-24-2007 08:35 PM]
03-24-2007 at 08:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insane
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
icon Re: Swordless Beethro. (0)  
Don't forget to add "erikh@caravelgames.com".
About the Sword, I'd absolutely love to release a swordless beethro mod or image...

-Insane
03-24-2007 at 08:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3624
Since both February and March have now been only half-illuminated, I think April is going to be a pretty big month around here.

Seeing as Erik probably won't read this message until he comes back from Europe:

Any interesting places you went to that we, the DROD fans, should know about?

03-24-2007 at 08:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Chaco wrote:
Going to Brussels, Milan, Vienna, Leipzig, and possibly Munich and Amsterdam. It's all business stuff that's part of my day job. I'll be setting up some telematics software I wrote in data centers of some different companies. I will be trying my hardest to get some spare moments to enjoy the trip, but I imagine the work might intrude on that.

-Erik

03-24-2007 at 08:55 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Chaco wrote:
Since both February and March have now been only half-illuminated, I think April is going to be a pretty big month around here.
It's going to be so brightilluminated you gotta wear shades... :cool :lol

np: Bleubird - Black Hawk Down ft. Sole (Rip USA (The Birdfleu))

[Last edited by Briareos at 03-24-2007 08:58 PM]
03-24-2007 at 08:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453
A swordless Beethro?

Hmm... maybe you can equip/unequip his sword in TCB. That would be pretty useful for rooms where you can't kill monsters. ;)
03-24-2007 at 08:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
I doubt that - it would make all bomb mazes useless. I'm assuming it's probably going to be on a per-room basis.

03-24-2007 at 09:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insane
ErikH2000 wrote:
Chaco wrote:
Going to Brussels, Milan, Vienna, Leipzig, and possibly Munich and Amsterdam. It's all business stuff that's part of my day job. I'll be setting up some telematics software I wrote in data centers of some different companies. I will be trying my hardest to get some spare moments to enjoy the trip, but I imagine the work might intrude on that.

-Erik

You're going dangerously near my home. Gonna visit me?

-Insane
03-24-2007 at 09:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Chaco wrote:
I doubt that - it would make all bomb mazes useless. I'm assuming it's probably going to be on a per-room basis.

Not necessarily. Consider briefly the idea that he drops his sword instead of putting it away, and you can't leave rooms without it.
03-24-2007 at 09:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Then that makes getting rid of your sword useless. You'll still have to pick it up and get through the room again anyhow.

Have fun on your trip Erik!
03-24-2007 at 09:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insane
Banjooie wrote:
Chaco wrote:

Not necessarily. Consider briefly the idea that he drops his sword instead of putting it away, and you can't leave rooms without it.

Now that would be unspeakably useless.
Wait - one thing.
Can he hit orbs with his hands?

Otherwise, if he needs to open a door wich he can't reach the orb for, through a bomb maze, he could drop his sword, go through the maze, hit the door, and halph goes running, and comes back.

Wait a minute... then he'd have to go through it again to actually go through the door..

-Insane
03-24-2007 at 09:08 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
tokyokid: Erik already said stop it.
Chaco wrote:
I'm assuming it's probably going to be on a per-room basis.
I'd love to see the storywise justification for that whopper.

03-24-2007 at 09:10 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Umm... you just *don't* learn. :no

Besides, that example fails because you could just hit the orb with your sword in that case.
03-24-2007 at 09:23 PM
Insane
icon Re: Swordless Beethro. (-1)  
Doom wrote:
Umm... you just *don't* learn. :no

Besides, that example fails because you could just hit the orb with your sword in that case.

Ok, I deleted it again..
I'll have to ask Erik if I can upload it again :).

-Insane
03-24-2007 at 09:25 PM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
icon Re: Swordless Beethro. (+2)  
Jatopian wrote:
Chaco wrote:
I'm assuming it's probably going to be on a per-room basis.
Ah, yes. Well, the story justification for that is: Just like in JtRH when Halph was introduced as a character/game element that would sometimes do his own thing, now your sword is a character/game element as well. In one level, your sword is kidnapped by a Magenta Tar Mother and you have to go through several rooms without it. In another, your sword decides it doesn't like how you've handled the room and wanders off to smite some monsters on its own, while you dodge the ones it misses. (That's a pretty cool room, actually.) And in a few levels, the game uses your sword instead of Halph -- that is, your sword follows you around until you knock on a door, at which point it runs over to hit the orb for it.

I might be lying a little bit, but if so I wouldn't admit it :D.

++Adam H. Peterson
03-24-2007 at 09:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
actually, Alef, once I understand this clever trickery by which you denude Beethro of his sword, I think...I think I /have/ a room idea. But.
03-24-2007 at 09:34 PM
Briareos
ErikH2000 wrote:
Going to Brussels, Milan, Vienna, Leipzig, and possibly Munich and Amsterdam.
Whoa... that sure would be waaay too much for me, but have a good trip across Europe... :)

np: Bleubird - Everything Up ft. Subtitle (Rip USA (The Birdfleu))

03-24-2007 at 09:44 PM
Briareos
Jatopian wrote:
Bureaucracy. What else? :D

np: Bleubird - Everything Up ft. Subtitle (Rip USA (The Birdfleu))

03-24-2007 at 09:47 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Does anyone else get the feeling that Erik wrote that so fast that he left skid marks on his keyboard? I've never read anything which better said 'Eeek, I'm in a hurry!'. :D
03-24-2007 at 10:56 PM
schep
Rank Points: 865
My guess is that swordless Beethro is scripted in terms of mechanics. In terms of story, it could be Beethro's choice (probably not the player's, or old rooms break). Or the sword could be stolen, or Beethro could need to relinquish it to a guard before being permitted to enter some area. And so on.

Also, though the idea's come up in a few threads, I don't recall anything official suggesting that Beethro will ever drop his sword and leave it on some square in the room.

03-24-2007 at 10:57 PM
bwross
Rank Points: 376
You don't have to tell me about the lack of reliable email. It wasn't too long ago that I was pointing out to some people that in the current state email was no longer useful.

They quickly countered with examples of things they had arranged via email and questioned if I knew what "useful" meant.

I pointed out that I never said that email wasn't usable, but that's a far cry from useful (one can, for example, paint a house with a toothbrush... it's a usable tool for the job, but not particularly useful for the task). Email simply is not a solid and useful common carrier, and it's currently failing to live up even to the standards of the regular phone and letter systems. Whereas, back in the 90s companies and offices wouldn't deal with you over email because they lacked the capability, now I find that they will no longer deal with email because of policy (due to reliability and security concerns). As someone who doesn't have a land line and doesn't like giving out the number to my cell phone (where I run a very simple plan with very limited minutes), I'd much rather have non-personal stuff go entirely through specific email accounts I keep for those purposes... and I'm finding that it's become increasingly difficult to do that in the last few years (and people look at you funny when you refuse to give them a phone number). Alas, although there are solutions to the security issues already available (even if most people don't/can't use them), I don't see the spam/reliability issue being resolved for quite some time.
03-25-2007 at 07:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Daneel
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 35
Besides, allowing Beethro to drop/put away his sword on command would lead to some backwards compatibility issues, in that it might trivialize some levels designed from before he could do this.
03-25-2007 at 07:49 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
Daneel wrote:
Besides, allowing Beethro to drop/put away his sword on command would lead to some backwards compatibility issues, in that it might trivialize some levels designed from before he could do this.
Indeed:
schep wrote:
My guess is that swordless Beethro is scripted in terms of mechanics. In terms of story, it could be Beethro's choice (probably not the player's, or old rooms break).

03-25-2007 at 08:37 AM
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
Or, player's choice, but with a room/level/hold flag. That way, all 2.0/1.0 holds just have the flag set to Disallow.

03-25-2007 at 08:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
bwross wrote:
You don't have to tell me about the lack of reliable email. It wasn't too long ago that I was pointing out to some people that in the current state email was no longer useful.
I think it's still useful, but lots of people have the idea in their head that they can just send a message and expect it to arrive, even though there are many points along the way where delivery can fail.

-Erik

03-25-2007 at 05:57 PM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
I use Gmail, and it never wrongly marked anything as spam. Google spoils me so...

03-25-2007 at 06:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Insane
I use gmail, and I never even got any spam, neither marked nor unmarked.

-Insane
03-25-2007 at 07:02 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
I signed up for a gmail account a while ago, and upon first inspection, there was spam already in my inbox.

03-25-2007 at 07:30 PM
Pilchard VIII
Rank Points: 392
...Hotmail... :tomato

03-25-2007 at 07:54 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : Swordless Beethro. (Our News for March.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com