Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Good Nice Restaurant (Ex(c)iting)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

4.0/10 (14 votes)
σ 1.73
Author Name:Daniel Blochinger
Submitted By:MeckMeck GRE
Hold Name:Good Nice Restaurant
Theme:Ex(c)iting
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:1
Number of Rooms:13
Number of Monsters:895
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:0 (+0 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Good Nice Restaurant.hold (11.8 KB)
Downloaded 1266 times.
License: Other
icon Good Nice Restaurant  
This hold is a revision/parody of/on the famous "Bad Evil Restaurant" (which was made by Saul Glasman about 2 years ago). It's recommended to play the original hold before playing this one.

Give it a try and have a meal there!
03-19-2007 at 04:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Good Nice Restaurant (0)  
Could someone remind me again why Bad Evil Restaurant isn't on the forum in-jokes page? Because it seems it really should be.
I haven't played this yet, but I will once I get back to the DROD PC.
Also, this should totally have been named Good Good Restaurant, so we could flush out the DDR fans and exterminate them.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 03-20-2007 01:54 AM]
03-19-2007 at 10:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
icon Re: Good Nice Restaurant (+1)  
Bad Evil Restaurant is, well, a very bad hold.

Good Nice Restaurant is much better but that isn't saying a whole lot. Some of the rooms were a bit like the War holds. A good bit of hacking w/o much reward here.

I definitely recommend NOT playing BER at all and only play GNR when you're bored with all the other holds.

[Last edited by larrymurk at 03-20-2007 12:53 AM]
03-19-2007 at 11:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: Good Nice Restaurant (+2)  

I'm stunned. I can't believe someone bothered to parody Bad Evil Restaurant.

I've noodled around with it a little; it's definitely somewhat War-like, but it actually does a decent job of making interesting rooms out of the [censored] that's in BER.

Shame about the backtracking problems, though (i.e. the inability to go backwards through a few of the rooms if you didn't clear them out going forwards).
03-20-2007 at 12:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
Tahnan wrote:
Shame about the backtracking problems, though (i.e. the inability to go backwards through a few of the rooms if you didn't clear them out going forwards).
Which rooms are that? I thought I checked them all.

03-20-2007 at 12:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Hm--I might have merely assumed. I certainly didn't have anything like a pleasant time trying to get back through 2N1W when entering from the west; if it's possible at all, it's severely unpleasant. Ditto coming into 1N1W from the north; those narrow passages just next to the entrance made it awfully hard, if not downright impossible, to get past the golems.

I may not have tried hard enough; I don't know.
03-20-2007 at 01:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
Tahnan wrote:
Hm--I might have merely assumed. I certainly didn't have anything like a pleasant time trying to get back through 2N1W when entering from the west; if it's possible at all, it's severely unpleasant. Ditto coming into 1N1W from the north; those narrow passages just next to the entrance made it awfully hard, if not downright impossible, to get past the golems.

I may not have tried hard enough; I don't know.
Actually, I think that both of those rooms are easier when doing them from the "wrong" entrance.

03-20-2007 at 01:11 AM
iamyum
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 64
I happen to enjoy the hold even with the mostly hack and slash nature. It took me awhile to beat 2N1W, which I think is the highlight of the hold. This war-type room surely admits many solutions, and managing the wave of approaching guards, goblins, and other creatures allowed creativity on the player's part without obvious trivial solutions that I can see. I guess it's a good hold for relaxing after a long day of work.
03-20-2007 at 04:33 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I give this hold the thumbs up because it doesn't have complicated serpent movement in it.
03-20-2007 at 08:22 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Tahnan wrote:

I'm stunned. I can't believe someone bothered to parody Bad Evil Restaurant.
Wish I could mode you up on that one - my thoughts exactly :) I watched VodkaAndCoke play through a few rooms and basically decided I wouldn't bother (as in the War series which larrymurk mentioned just above). Thing is though, I guess it depends on the player. VaC thoroughly enjoys this sort of hold and cringes at any serpent movement type of holds (which Banjooie mentions further down) ;) All in all, I probably won't play this for ages, but I know there's an audience for this type of hold (she enjoyed the original BeR too (!)).
03-20-2007 at 10:17 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
I assume that he took the post in the HA board saying that there'd be no sequel to BER as a challenge.
03-21-2007 at 12:02 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Stefan wrote:
Actually, I think that both of those rooms are easier when doing them from the "wrong" entrance.
Yeah, I do stand corrected after all. I just wasn't trying hard enough to get past those golems. I'll have to take your word for it on the room to the north; I can't imagine how being farther from the potions makes the room easier.
03-21-2007 at 12:33 AM
Remlin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 181
Sorry for being harsh, but this hold was absolutely terrible. I don't remember playing Bad Evil Restaurant, but I'll echo the above comments that it felt like a War parody. (And I admit, I'm not a War fan.) Each 'puzzle' looked slapped together with whatever random elements the mouse happened to click on, and not a single room was in any way interesting or memorable. I gave this a fun rating of 1 because, simply, I had no fun at all. Please don't ever publish dreck like this again.
04-02-2007 at 06:43 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
If you don't get why it's a mishmash of random elements, you need to play bad evil restaurant.
04-02-2007 at 09:32 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Um.

So, in contrast to the other hold I recently finished, this one was...well, not so good. Some of the rooms offer a moderate challenge, but generally I didn't find a lot to like here. I gave it four brains (although the final room is certainly the hardest of the lot) and a 3 rating for fun.

Josh

P.S. I've never actually played Bad Evil Restaurant. I'm sure I will at some point. Maybe.

05-23-2007 at 07:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Good Nice Restaurant (Ex(c)iting) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com