Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Can I get Webfoot DROD?
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Martin
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon Can I get Webfoot DROD? (0)  
I\'d like to know if anyone knows if it\'s possible for me to get hold of a copy of Webfoot DROD, as I don\'t see it available for download at this site. I am a Linux user and the newer Caravel DROD doesn\'t appear to be compatible with WINE (a Windows API implementation for Linux) and I thought that there might be a better chance that the original version of DROD may work on my system.

Cheers,
Martin

03-13-2003 at 02:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Can I get Webfoot DROD? (0)  
Martin wrote:
I\'d like to know if anyone knows if it\'s possible for me to get hold of a copy of Webfoot DROD, as I don\'t see it available for download at this site.
Hi, Martin.

For ethical/legal reasons I don\'t want to be involved in distributing Webfoot DROD. However, if you google for \"abandonware drod\" and search a few links, I think you should find it.

-Erik

03-13-2003 at 02:17 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
I still have the original zip that I downloaded when I first got Webfoot DROD. If you want, I can email it to you. It\'s 986kb.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
03-13-2003 at 02:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Martin
Thanks! That would be great! I wasn\'t able to find it via Google searches (seems like all the sites have taken it down and put the new version up).

My e-mail address is drod@avalon-one.net

Just out of interest, I have a few questions about the newer Caravel DROD. Is the source code available for Caravel DROD? I would be interested in doing a native Linux port of the game if this was the case.

Secondly, does it use DirectX? This is obviously an issue in portability since it is proprietry closed format that only works on Windows (as oppsed to open standards such as SDL) which would make porting more diffuclt.

Cheers again,
Martin

[Edited by Martin on 03-13-2003 at 02:54 AM GMT]

03-13-2003 at 02:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: Re: Can I get Webfoot DROD? (0)  
Martin wrote:
Just out of interest, I have a few questions about the newer Caravel DROD. Is the source code available for Caravel DROD? I would be interested in doing a native Linux port of the game if this was the case.

Secondly, does it use DirectX? This is obviously an issue in portability since it is proprietry closed format that only works on Windows (as oppsed to open standards such as SDL) which would make porting more diffuclt.
I\'m currently working on porting it to Irix, which should make a Linux port much much easier. It does use SDL, by the way.

As for time frame... well, there\'s really not much left to do, I just haven\'t had time lately to touch it. A few more changes (all related to Unicode filenames - everything else is done) and then some testing and it\'ll be ready for a Linux port.

03-13-2003 at 03:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Martin
That sounds very cool!

I\'m looking forward to playing DROD again :)

03-13-2003 at 03:03 AM
Martin
Interestingly enough, I just decided to give DROD3D a shot, and I\'m getting more success with this one than Caravel DROD. I can load the game, navigate the menus, change options, and start the game. Sound and music are working perfectly, graphics are very flickery, and it doesn\'t appear to be accepting any keyboard input, so I can\'t actually play it. It almost works though. :)

Getting about 130fps on Athlon 1800+, 256MB RAM, Voodoo 3 3000, Linux 2.4.19.

EDIT: Re-configured WINE. No flickering! Perfect graphics. All I\'m lacking now is keyboard input. :)

[Edited by Martin on 03-13-2003 at 03:27 AM GMT]

03-13-2003 at 03:20 AM
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
Do a search for \"Webfoot DROD download\" without the quotes. Almost all the sites that come up have broken links, but with patience you will find the one site that has it up for download. Don\'t search for \"abandonware\" because the site that has it is a very old site that has not been updated in a while, and they just call it \"DROD\" with no mention of abandonware. BTW, I only use Webfoot to view the demos when I get stuck in a room, although I\'ve already found several rooms that don\'t have demos.

03-14-2003 at 12:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stuwy
Rank Points: 212
yes with my research i have found a link that works! (webfoot drod)

http://s1.alvensis.com/juegomania.org/beta/abandonware.php?id=363

unfortunatly it\'s in spanish, google\'s translated page doesn\'t allow you to acces any further when presing download button. and you have to register also. But in the end it\'s worth it.

04-10-2003 at 12:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
Oh, mine was just on an old site that was abandoned long ago, it didn\'t need me to register at all, and it was in English.

04-10-2003 at 08:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
I\'ve got Caravel DROD running in linux via standard wine. The music is a little distorted, but otherwise it\'s flawless. All you have to do is to tell SDL to not use directx, by setting the environment variable SDL_VIDEODRIVER to \"windib\", like this:

SDL_VIDEODRIVER=windib wine drod.exe

..waiting for linux DROD.. (i may be able to help porting it later when i\'ve got some more time)

04-12-2003 at 11:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
trick wrote:
..waiting for linux DROD.. (i may be able to help porting it later when i\'ve got some more time)
The SGI port is done, so porting to Linux should be pretty painless.

04-12-2003 at 11:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5060
trick wrote:
I\'ve got Caravel DROD running in linux via standard wine.
Wonderful! It\'s getting better all the time.

And welcome to trick, the forum\'s 100th member!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-13-2003 at 01:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
icon Re: Re: Re: Can I get Webfoot DROD? (0)  
mrimer wrote:
I\'ve got Caravel DROD running in linux via standard wine.
Wonderful! It\'s getting better all the time.
Mike, you do realize wine is just a windows emulator, right? So the Linux port is not yet there...

04-13-2003 at 05:20 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5060
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: Can I get Webfoot DROD? (0)  
Schik wrote:
Mike, you do realize wine is just a windows emulator, right? So the Linux port is not yet there...
Yep. I\'m happy because I didn\'t know what to do to get DROD working on wine before now. (Believe me, I\'ve tried.)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-13-2003 at 05:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Can I get Webfoot DROD? (0)  
mrimer wrote:
Yep. I\'m happy because I didn\'t know what to do to get DROD working on wine before now. (Believe me, I\'ve tried.)
Ah, my bad. So if it\'s working now under \"standard wine\" what changed that made it work? Newer version of wine? And is this the current development build that\'s working in wine, or the older 1.5 release?

04-13-2003 at 05:44 AM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Whee, 100th member! Thanks for the welcome =)

About wine, nothing changed. This probably works with older versions as well. The problem is that standard wine doesn\'t support directx very well, and SDL use directx by default. By telling SDL to use the standard windows routines instead of directx, this problem disappears, and wine runs DROD perfectly. Well, apart from the music, anyway.

I haven\'t tried the latest CVS version yet, but i don\'t see any reason it shouldn\'t work there as well.

Anyway, i\'ll take a look at the CVS and see if i can get it working natively in linux. (unfortunately my internet connection is somewhat sporadic at the moment - right now i\'ve got 2Kps max on a supposed 2mbit connection, with 90% error..)

[Edited by trick on 04-13-2003 at 03:43 PM GMT]
04-13-2003 at 02:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
13th Slayer
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 27
icon Re: Can I get Webfoot DROD? (-1)  
Malarame wrote:
I still have the original zip that I downloaded when I first got Webfoot DROD. If you want, I can email it to you. It\'s 986kb.
Wait a minute! Some people on this forum told me that i cant get webfoot-drod cause it belongs to webfoot!

[Last edited by 13th Slayer at 10-15-2007 07:53 AM]
10-15-2007 at 07:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
This is true now, but wasn't when this was written. Please check the dates of what you reply to, as you're joining a conversation long finished.

10-15-2007 at 08:00 AM
13th Slayer
e-mail it to mee to, then! Sorry that im posting to 2003`s topic again.Anyway, email is censored

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 10-15-2007 08:13 AM]
10-15-2007 at 08:11 AM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Sorry, but because this is a game that Caravel isn't allowed to distribute, we can't let you use the forum to arrange for that same distribution over e-mail or other ways. So please don't ask people to e-mail you Webfoot DROD.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 10-15-2007 08:22 AM]
10-15-2007 at 08:15 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Why, out of curiosity, do you want webfoot DROD anyway?
10-15-2007 at 08:17 AM
13th Slayer
NiroZ wrote:
Well,i like:music(already have that) ,and i saw some screenshots,so i also like faces and title screen.
10-15-2007 at 08:20 AM
13th Slayer
13th Slayer wrote:
NiroZ wrote:
Well,i like:music(already have that) ,and i saw some screenshots,so i also like faces and title screen.
Hey! who changed the word music to a smile?!
10-15-2007 at 08:22 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
AFAIK, everyone who has played webfoot agrees that DROD: Architects editions is superior.
10-15-2007 at 08:24 AM
13th Slayer
The game must be better,exepct for some parts.
10-15-2007 at 08:29 AM
13th Slayer
NiroZ wrote:
AFAIK, everyone who has played webfoot agrees that DROD: Architects editions is superior.
What is "AFAIK"?
10-15-2007 at 08:30 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
icon Re: Can I get Webfoot DROD? (+2)  
That can't be true, I play Webfoot DROD right now, and Architects edition isn't immediately superior. The advantages of Webfoot DROD:
* Classic look and feel. More hardcore (no checkpoints!)
* Different music (slightly better in my opinion). I know you can put it in, but this is the original.
* The title screen. Honestly, Beethro creeps the heck out of me on that one.
* Bragging rights. You can go around wearing a T-shirt which says "I beat the three tar mothers room without checkpoints and all I got was this lousy T-shirt". How cool is that?

Obviously Architects Edition is amazing and all, but superior to Webfoot DROD? Nah, they both have their pros and cons.

AFAIK = As Far As I Know.
The music change to a smilie because you added : before the word.

10-15-2007 at 08:31 AM
kzc
Rank Points: 212
icon Re: Can I get Webfoot DROD? (+1)  
Maurog wrote:
The advantages of Webfoot DROD:
* Classic look and feel. More hardcore (no checkpoints!)
* Different music (slightly better in my opinion). I know you can put it in, but this is the original.
* The title screen. Honestly, Beethro creeps the heck out of me on that one.
* Bragging rights. You can go around wearing a T-shirt which says "I beat the three tar mothers room without checkpoints and all I got was this lousy T-shirt". How cool is that?
Agreed. These kids today don't know how good they've got it. Unlimited Undo? We didn't even have one undo. We used the restart key when we got stuck, and we were glad to have it.

Checkpoints? Ha! You had to be on your guard with every single move - none of this "hold down a key until you die, then hit backspace" nonsense.

And don't forget the "auto-wait" function for the truly hardcore. I wish I could find my old copy of WDROD just so I could play through it with that feature turned on. I guess I could hack the TCB source and add it, but it wouldn't be the same.

Shoot, I'd pay for a copy if Webfoot would take my money.
10-15-2007 at 04:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Can I get Webfoot DROD? (+1)  
You guys are just adorable with your misplaced nostalgia.

10-16-2007 at 02:59 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Can I get Webfoot DROD?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com