Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Deep Hold (.....Depth is Everything.....)
<<78910
Page 11 of 13
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Hookj5
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
IP: Logged
icon Re: Deep Hold XXII (0)  
I really like this hold so far. I have only played to lvl 3, so it will take me some time to catch up with you guys. I am having extreme trouble with LvL3 1N 2E. I can't escape the first three blocks without a mimic, but both mimics are needed elsewhere. If anyone could go back and give me a hint, that would be nice.
Yes I have a brain, I see that the orb must struck by a mimic, and the roach queens must be killed by a mimic. That leaves me to defend 3 squares when the snake dies. I see it as unsolvable. I could be wrong, I have been accused of missing the obvious before. Just looking for conformation 1 way or the other

[Edited by Hookj5 on 06-19-2004 at 02:55 AM GMT]
06-18-2004 at 06:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
I've never seen the room myself before, but on looking...

Click here to view the secret text

06-19-2004 at 01:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scott
Rank Points: 578
Its quite possible. I knew I had done it before just had to replay up to the room to remember how its done.

06-19-2004 at 07:30 AM
BigRedCat
icon Re: Deep Hold XXII (-1)  
-Edited to delete the request for level 5:2N screenshot. I found the one last missing trapdoor. The rant stands.-

And Red_Hawk, I seriously hope you quit making rooms that 'aren't supposed to be fun'. I doubt severely you have played this room, and even if you have, I doubt you enjoyed it.

There should be NO rooms in a hold that even the designer feels are 'not fun'. Are you punishing us? I have beaten every last room up to this point, and for quite a few I wondered why I was bothering.
Can't wait for the Hack n Slash level as apparently you've made an entire level you don't even expect to be played. There are many good rooms in this hold overshadowed by a poor attitude for your players in many others.

[Edited by BigRedCat on 07-03-2004 at 03:02 AM GMT]
07-03-2004 at 01:35 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
BigRedCat wrote:
I doubt severely you have played this room...

Yes, I have. I make sure I playtest everything.

...and even if you have, I doubt you enjoyed it.

Not true. I did not find it very difficult. I realize that everyone has different tastes, and there was someone who said he found it very enjoyable (Atch, I think).

There should be NO rooms in a hold that even the designer feels are 'not fun'.

See previous answer.

Can't wait for the Hack n Slash level as apparently you've made an entire level you don't even expect to be played.

If you actually waited until you reached it, you would find that there is a clearly labelled bypass.

...a poor attitude for your players...

I haven't had any accusations like this since level 3 or so. I am sure that there is nobody that plays DROD:AE who likes to make players suffer.

I'd say a lot more, but it might be too strong.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
07-05-2004 at 09:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
...a poor attitude for your players...

I haven't had any accusations like this since level 3 or so. I am sure that there is nobody that plays DROD:AE who likes to make players suffer.

I'd say a lot more, but it might be too strong.
I don't know about that. You've clearly made it difficult to test your hold by avoiding "Anyone Edit" requests and the reply to feedback for about somewhere between levels 10-18 (I can't remember) coupled with the description for this thread seem to show rather that your aim is to create the largest hold on record than make the hold "fun". Perhaps "suffer" is not quite the word, but it does appear that you do want your hold known for its length rather than fun rating. I'm sure that perhaps the lack of documentation for many levels/rooms is the way of some testers to show their criticism for the hold itself.

07-05-2004 at 09:49 PM
The_Red_Hawk
agaricus5 wrote:
...your aim is to create the largest hold on record than make the hold "fun".

No, I want it to be fun also. It has to be, or nobody will play it.

You've clearly made it difficult to test your hold by avoiding "Anyone Edit"

I've explained that several times. It's just a preference. I was only replying to his post and saying that nobody had flamed me on this topic for a very long time.

07-05-2004 at 11:14 PM
BigRedCat
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
agaricus5 wrote:

You've clearly made it difficult to test your hold by avoiding "Anyone Edit"

I've explained that several times. It's just a preference. I was only replying to his post and saying that nobody had flamed me on this topic for a very long time.

There's no time like the present. ;)

Anyway, I don't mean to jump all over you. It may have been in the past, but if you read some of your previous comments you have noted that for certain levels fun is not your objective. I was just aggravated overall reading through the thread.
07-06-2004 at 03:51 AM
The_Red_Hawk
For the levels such as 13 and 18, yes. But in both cases, I added a bypass for the player to skip the level if he so desires.

07-06-2004 at 05:05 AM
Hookj5
icon Re: Deep Hold XXII (+1)  
Hawk, I love the hold. So far I have 2 major problems. One is with LvL18, I played the whole level through and in the last room I can't seem to escape because of the force arrows and the blue door. I don't think it's solvable as it is. If you need a screen shot let me know. The other MAJOR problem is with LvL 19 2E. I played that room for 2 weeks, sometimes for up to 3 hours straight, and I really hated it. I feel it needs a save point. So today I finally beat the room and proceded to 1S 2E through where the green door was. After I beat that room, I can't move on. Reentering 2E traps me cuz of the red door. I would rather not finish this level that have to defeat 2E again. Please let me know if you need screen shots of theese rooms or a better description of my problem. Thanks
07-06-2004 at 07:33 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Hookj5 wrote:
...LvL18, I played the whole level through and in the last room I can't seem to escape because of the force arrows and the blue door. I don't think it's solvable as it is.

Look more closely. It's a green door.

...LvL 19 2E. I played that room for 2 weeks, sometimes for up to 3 hours straight, and I really hated it. I feel it needs a save point.

There are 5. I thought that was enough, but do you think I should add more? It only took me half an hour when I was playtesting it.

...1S 2E through where the green door was. After I beat that room, I can't move on. Reentering 2E traps me cuz of the red door.

I don't exactly understand you. So you beat 1S2E, then went back north. If you solved that room first, you shouldn't have had any problem. The only red door is in the center. Or are you talking about the room to the east of that?

07-06-2004 at 01:06 PM
Hookj5
I don't think that you and I have the same version. How do I check which version I have? Take a look at the screen shots of the rooms and tell me where I am misunderstanding you. I will delete them to save room after you respond. Thanks.
07-06-2004 at 10:02 PM
Hookj5
Here is the other one.
07-06-2004 at 10:03 PM
Scott
Rank Points: 578
I just recently did level 18. In my version its a green door. You must have an older version. Not sure how you can check versions.
07-07-2004 at 12:58 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Yes, both of them come from an older, non-updated version. In the level 19 screenshot, that room was only up for a few days before someone pointed out both your problem and the lack of checkpoints. In the level 18 screenshot, I can't imagine how you got that version. It was only up for a few minutes before I realized my mistake, and took it down to change the door.

I think the best thing to do would be to download the latest version and level warp to 19. If you don't want to replay the first few rooms (Twice East is a lot easier with checkpoints) I'll make you a player file with saves up to that point.

07-07-2004 at 05:59 PM
Hookj5
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
In the level 19 screenshot, that room was only up for a few days before someone pointed out both your problem and the lack of checkpoints. In the level 18 screenshot, I can't imagine how you got that version. It was only up for a few minutes before I realized my mistake.
Just lucky I guess. I already downloaded the most recent version and am playing "catch up". It is a lot easier the 2nd time through. Thanks for clearing that up and for such a great hold.
07-08-2004 at 06:10 AM
Hookj5

File: 2S 1E.png (181.2 KB)
Downloaded 100 times.
License: Other
I am finally back to levl 21 and am very stuck. Room 1W with the wraithwings and the snake is giving me fits. Even worse is 2S 1E. I really need some help here. Here is a screen shot of 2S 1E. Thanks.

[Edited by Hookj5 on 07-25-2004 at 10:07 AM GMT]
07-25-2004 at 11:06 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Hookj5 wrote:
Room 1W with the wraithwings and the snake is giving me fits.

SPOILER:

Even worse is 2S 1E.

I don't know exactly what you are having trouble with here. If you want a walkthrough...

[Edited by Schik on 07-25-2004 at 10:11 PM GMT: Fixed secret tag]

07-25-2004 at 06:20 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Um, Red Hawk, could you please close your secret tags correctly? Bottom of the thread is messed up.

07-25-2004 at 07:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Sorry. I tried, but my computer had something wrong with it and it wouldn't let me see the posts past Hookj5's last one.

07-25-2004 at 11:29 PM
Hookj5
I see the problem, the Tar mother has a green door under her. I must have an old version. What is the most up to date version?
07-26-2004 at 09:24 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Oops. You do have the latest version. Someone pointed out that fact about the green door earlier, and I fixed it - but I forgot when I wrote the last post. I thought I must have forgotten to fix it until I looked over it again, then I remembered that

However, I then realized that you can no longer reach the orb. I don't know why nobody spotted it before, unless there's something that I'm missing. Someone, please tell me if I'm wrong and the room is still solvable.

Anyways, if this room is broken, I hope that I've fixed it. I haven't had time to playtest again, but I put it in a minihold, attached here. It also includes the room to the east, and the one to the north of that.

You must now

If somebody tells me that I'm wrong and that the room is indeed solvable and that I've forgotten how it was done, don't worry about this.

07-26-2004 at 06:55 PM
Hookj5
This mini hold won't help me much, although I can now beat the room, I can't move on to level 22.
07-31-2004 at 09:15 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
I got stuck in level 21 between 1S and 1S1E.

I have completed 1S and the only exit out of there is into 1S1E because of force arrows on trapdoors. And 1S1E can't be completed from west because the wraithwing gets stuck.
07-31-2004 at 09:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hookj5
This might be considered s spoiler.
That is the way I did it.
07-31-2004 at 08:23 PM
The_Red_Hawk
icon Re: Deep Hold XXII (+1)  
Deep Hold XXIII - Desperate Swordplay.

09-01-2004 at 08:52 PM
The_Red_Hawk

File: Deep Hold XXIV The Reckoning.hold (264.8 KB)
Downloaded 120 times.
License: Other
icon Re: Deep Hold XXIII (+1)  
All right, now that JtRH is already in a beta for players who haven't played before, I've decided to try and get the last two levels out before the beta is extended, or nobody will take an interest in it once it's out because of the large number of new things coming in.

Well, here we are: Deep Hold XXIV - The Reckoning.

[Edited by The_Red_Hawk at Local Time:10-08-2004 at 04:28 PM]

10-08-2004 at 04:27 PM
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
icon Re: Deep Hold XXIV (0)  
In the commemeration level, it says in the opening the same thing it says in the scroll. Is it intended?
10-28-2004 at 08:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Well, not really. I just didn't know what to do with it. What do you suggest I change it to?

10-30-2004 at 05:11 PM
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
How about 'Level 1 - the breeding grounds' ;)
10-31-2004 at 03:06 PM
<<78910
Page 11 of 13
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Deep Hold (.....Depth is Everything.....)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com