Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Deep Hold (.....Depth is Everything.....)
Page 2 of 13
3456>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
The_Red_Hawk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 783
IP: Logged
icon Re: Deep Hold III - Next Version (0)  
Okay...now, with about 4 rooms to make in level 5, (there are 19 altogether) my build 42 has stopped working - it won't open for me and it gives me an error if I try to download newer builds... Can someone instruct me how to unzip a file again?
Also, I'm *really* starting to run out of ideas - - - but I did change most of the suggestions I was given...
I've still got a few good puzzles in the rooms (and I still have a *very* small number of possibilities)....................

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
09-23-2003 at 05:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Well, hopefully the reason that build 42 isn't working was fixed, but you should post what happened in the Bugs board, with as much detail as you can give. And ask for more help about importing hold files on the Bugs board too--it seems like it's your computer's problem, but more help might be found there.

As for unzipping files, if you have Windows XP it treats zip files like folders, and you just click on "Extract all files" on the left hand side of the window. If you have an older OS, you need to get a program like PKunzip or (my preference) WinZip. WinZip is shareware or adware, just do a search on Google for it.

No one is expecting you to have a huge 25 level dungeon. I think 5 levels is more than enough, especially for a first try. Quality is more important than quantity, in my opinion.

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer on 09-23-2003 at 05:38 PM]

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-23-2003 at 05:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
OK, I wrote this before, but it doesn't seem to have appeared. The main thing is: My version of DROD has stopped working (it won't open) and there is something wrong with downloading the newest builds for me. Can someone help me unzip again... and, by the way, if I get another version, will my material on my current one be lost?

09-24-2003 at 10:08 PM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
If you want to keep any progress you have made you need to export all holds, players and demos before upgrading your version of DROD. Holds probably won't be too much of a problem as they can all be found here, but if you can't export your player file (and haven't done so before) then sorry, but you'll lose all progress.

My advice is to keep a copy of 1.5 around so that you won't lose progress in Dugan's and/or to regularly export your player file, so if your data does get corrupted you hopefully won't need to replay too much. Not much help if you've already lost the data, I admit, but so you know for next time...

"Oook!"
09-25-2003 at 05:10 PM
Oneiromancer
Red_Hawk, honestly, if you are having trouble "downloading" the latest build apparently you are the only one, and it seems to be a problem with your computer. Can you download other files to your computer correctly? Have you tried to use a different Internet Browser, like use Netscape instead of Internet Explorer, or vice versa? As I said in another reply to you, just saying "there is something wrong with downloading the latest builds" doesn't help us figure out exactly what the problem is.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-25-2003 at 05:17 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Okay, I have finished making level 5, which has 20 rooms now. I have finished playtesting about 7 of them. The other four levels you can ignore, and if you haven't finished them, download the previous version. There's a few rooms in the latest level that I think are *very* hard - well, maybe not too much, but.....

10-06-2003 at 07:03 PM
The_Red_Hawk
OK, here's 20 rooms of puzzles - Deep Hold Level V. I have personally conquered all the rooms. I think these are quite *hard*.

10-10-2003 at 02:25 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Ok, I've got to say -

Click here to view the secret text

10-12-2003 at 03:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Ok, completed it now; I hadn't cheated beyond looking at 2N in the editor and finding the exit.

Overall, some really nice rooms in here. I especially liked 2E, and 3N3E. 2N2E has probably the hardest puzzle in it, excluding the unfair puzzle in 2N.

10-12-2003 at 04:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
I'm glad you liked some of my rooms, at least.....

and yes, I think 2N should go. I believe there is a room that is quite similar to it on level 2. 2N was created only because it is impossible to conquer the room below from the west. However, I might not be able to change it for the next level - Onward and Downward.

By the way, how long did the level take you? and I am saying this to everyone who has completed it.

10-12-2003 at 05:39 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
I'm still not done. I'm stuck on 2N and 1N.

10-12-2003 at 05:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
I spent about 4 hours in total on the level; out of which more than 2 were devoted to 2N.

Zex - if you want, PM me and I can send you a picture of all the trapdoor locations in 2N. Hint for 1N:

[Edited by eytanz on 10-12-2003 at 06:40 PM GMT]

10-12-2003 at 06:37 PM
levelthirteen
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 109
Design flaw: If 2N 2E is solved and reentered from the south, the room has no exit.
10-13-2003 at 06:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Here's level 6.

10-24-2003 at 01:11 AM
eytanz
I really liked this level - it's a whole lot better than the earlier ones, from nearly every respect. I especially liked the way you handled the green doors - it was an interesting concept and it tied the rooms together nicely.

A few comments:

1E - This room was by far the hardest. The serpents were a bit pointless, there's no way they could survive to when Beethro reaches that area.

3S - You really should have less roaches in there to begin with - they don't really make life harder (since you can easily kill them all from the beginning), they just make the room slower and painful (literally - my hand hurt me from pressing Q and W). I know you wanted to introduce a delay so that the queens would start spawning, but half as many, or even a third as many, roaches would have been enough.

2S1E - The easiest room. Sort of boring.

Other than those few comments, though, it's a really nice level.

10-26-2003 at 08:02 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Here's the seventh level...

11-02-2003 at 03:05 AM
Scott
Rank Points: 578
You can get stuck if you enter the entrance from the west. The yellow door there doesn't seem to be necessary either.

Still not finished 2 west.
11-03-2003 at 03:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Scott wrote:
You can get stuck if you enter the entrance from the west. The yellow door there doesn't seem to be necessary either.

That is false. I solved it from the start without ever leaving the room.

Eytan

11-03-2003 at 05:38 AM
The_Red_Hawk
You're not supposed to be able to ;)

11-03-2003 at 05:24 PM
The_Red_Hawk
By the way, is it possible to change editing permissions for a hold that I import? I want to be able to copy/paste and therefore restore the first 4 levels so that everything will be together again.

11-05-2003 at 03:59 AM
Oneiromancer
If I remember correctly, you lost your copy of the first four levels? In that case, assuming you set the editing rights to "You and Conquerors," you're either going to have to beat the levels yourself or ask someone that has beaten them to send you a copy with the editing rights set to "Anyone." A third option would be to ask someone that knows how to modify the holds like Erik, Schik, or Mike (mrimer) to modify it for you so you can work on it again.

Game on,

11-05-2003 at 04:31 AM
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
By the way, is it possible to change editing permissions for a hold that I import? I want to be able to copy/paste and therefore restore the first 4 levels so that everything will be together again.

I believe there might be a technical way of doing so, but I can't remember the details.

Failing that, if you set editing rights to 'You and Conquerers' you could always complete the hold yourself (or if you've got level warps, just the last level)

Or, if someone else has completed the hold (not I) and they thus have editing rights, they might do you a favour...
11-05-2003 at 04:34 AM
The_Red_Hawk
The editing rights are set to "Only Me"

So what can I do?

11-05-2003 at 05:24 PM
Oneiromancer
Personally, I would e-mail the hold to Mike (mrimer), explain what happened, and ask him nicely if he can hack it to let you modify it again. I don't think that you need to prove that you are the original author, but you can just point to the various threads here on this board as proof.

Game on,

11-05-2003 at 05:51 PM
eytanz
There's a way to hack the files and give yourself editing permissions. I did it so that I could include The Sewers of Blorn in the Tomb of Nomb DVD release. But Erik and Mike expressed that they don't want it publicly discussed; I'll PM you with the details.

11-05-2003 at 05:54 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Or send it my way, I'll change permissions for you & send it back.

11-05-2003 at 06:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
How do I "send it your way?"

11-05-2003 at 06:54 PM
Schik
email it to mcs1016 at hotmail dot net.

11-05-2003 at 07:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
It says the message has been delayed for some reason and I guess it will not be sent (correct me if I'm wrong)

Anyways, I know someone got into the editor for my hold to solve Level 5:2N. Could that person maybe post that here with editing rights to "Anyone?"

11-06-2003 at 05:26 PM
Schik
You could just attach it here instead....

11-06-2003 at 05:27 PM
Page 2 of 13
3456>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Deep Hold (.....Depth is Everything.....)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com