Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Deep Hold (.....Depth is Everything.....)
Page 1 of 13
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
The_Red_Hawk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 783
IP: Logged
icon Deep Hold (+3)  
All my new versions will be posted under this topic. All the rooms are guaranteed solvable. If you want a change...please tell me.....

Go to the end of this thread for the latest version.

[Edited by The_Red_Hawk at Local Time:04-05-2005 at 02:14 AM]

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
09-08-2003 at 01:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Deep Hold III - Next Version (0)  
Uh-oh...

Please don't mention Rooted Hold so explicitly - it may spoil the fun of it for Erik when he makes it later on or make your hold inconsistent.

09-08-2003 at 01:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Err... there is a bug with two of the rooms - 1N and 1N 1W. If you do 1N and then leave by the west exit of the room, you end up on the green door of 1N 1W, which makes the room a whole lot easier :D

09-08-2003 at 01:42 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Hasn't anyone beaten level 1 yet?

The next version will include level jumps to levels 2, 3, and 4, for those who went a long way on Revised the First or earlier versions. Hopefully, all of level 2 will be playtested by then.

09-10-2003 at 05:22 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
I have beaten all of level one, so it is possible. Do not release more levels until they are ALL playtested. Place the stairs for level jumps in the first room, with scrolls saying to which level they go. There's something weird with the space between the entrance and 1S on level 2. This may be a bug, or something.

09-10-2003 at 05:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Yes...this has been mentioned in the bugs forum. It will probably be fixed soon.

By the way, the entrance, 1S, and 2S on level 2 have now been playtested.

09-11-2003 at 05:26 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Everything E and S of the entrance room has been playtested. The "corrections" will appear in the next version.

09-12-2003 at 01:52 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Version Revised the Third will appear tonight (probably in 8-10 hours) I'm not sure if I will be able to change the entrance room without altering the puzzle, though. It will include the first few rooms of level 4, and I hope I will remember to put level jumps in the first room.

09-12-2003 at 04:51 PM
The_Red_Hawk
In this, the latest version, I have playtested and conquered all the rooms in level two of Deep Hold. There are level jumps in the entrance room of level 1, but please don't use them unless you have conquered the other levels. There are now a few rooms in level four, but there is as of now no exit from that level. Please inform me if a change is necessary.

09-13-2003 at 12:58 AM
zex20913
You need to playtest all rooms in three and four before you release the next hold. For instance: The level three entrance is not possible.

09-13-2003 at 01:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Scott
Rank Points: 578
Level 3 the entrance is impossible. I can kill all the wraithwings in the middle but theres no way to get the ones in the corners.
09-13-2003 at 01:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Even though you are putting warps in your hold, if you still aren't playtesting what you can warp to all you are doing is annoying the people who are playing your hold. This isn't a race; we can all handle waiting for you to playtest. Honest.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-13-2003 at 01:51 AM
The_Red_Hawk
I didn't know that anyone was so far on yet.....

09-13-2003 at 01:52 AM
zex20913
Just because there is a deterrent in the scroll doesn't mean that people will heed it. If you put a room in a hold, it should be playtested. Please wait until all of the rooms are playtested to upload a hold. This is not just for you, but for everyone. You just seem not to pay attention to the request more than most.

09-13-2003 at 02:47 AM
Scott
Rank Points: 578
I have finished all rooms on lvl 2. Can't seem to find a staircase from there to 3 as well.

Edit

Ok I did finally find the stairs to level 3. I can't believe that you put them there. At least give people a hint or something.

[Edited by Scott on 09-13-2003 at 06:18 AM]
09-13-2003 at 03:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Level 3 has been playtested, and I have almost finished creating level 4 so I can playtest it.....

09-14-2003 at 12:51 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
You can get yourself stuck in level 1 if you go from 1S to 2S by one of the side doors - there's no way to return to 1S.

09-14-2003 at 05:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
Level 2 also has a few places you can get completely stuck in. Playtesting does include fixing such anomalies. Though they're more difficult to detect, individual entrances to rooms should at least be checked both ways, and playtesters could point out more subtle anomalies if the architect doesn't find them. Particularly of relevance on level 2, is tar which goes right up to the edge of the screen. This will block the entrance from an adjacent room, and is used extensively on this level.

Also worth testing is, are rooms completable from all available entrances? If they aren't consider careful use of green doors and force arrows to block entrance from those directions, so the player doesn't waste time.

I'll include some more detailed notes when I've finished playing through the level.

Scott: There was a scroll hint that /something/ was hidden in that area of level 2, but it could, yes, be a little more blatant. But then, if it were more blatant, it wouldn't be hidden.

I'd definitely recommend a 'normal' exit from level 2, blocked by a blue door. The current exit could perhaps be left as an early level skip.

[Edited by StuartK on 09-14-2003 at 06:07 AM GMT: Speling]
09-14-2003 at 06:52 AM
StuartK
icon Re: Re: Deep Hold III - Next Version (0)  
StuartK wrote:
Scott: There was a scroll hint that /something/ was hidden in that area of level 2, but it could, yes, be a little more blatant. But then, if it were more blatant, it wouldn't be hidden.

Apologies Scott, looks like the level exit I'd found at that point was a decoy :buh
09-14-2003 at 09:28 AM
The_Red_Hawk
There have been several rooms where I *want* the room to be unsolvable from certain entrances. I fixed L1 1S, and I assure you that level two is completable as it is. My next release (levels three and four) will be released some time today probably. Again, please tell me if there's anything else that needs to be changed.....

P.S. Where in level two *does* the tar affect the entrance to the room?

09-14-2003 at 02:35 PM
The_Red_Hawk
OK...here is Deep Hold IV, "The Defences of the Downward Passage".
All rooms in all 4 levels have been playtested and conquered by me. Good Luck!

09-14-2003 at 03:56 PM
eytanz
I may be wrong here - I didn't actually complete all the rooms again to check - but it seems your changes to L1 1S won't help the problem - you'll just get trapped behind the yellow doors, still leaving you unable to do anything. Add an orb on the other side of the doors, or add a force arrow near them (which you might have already done under the tar - if you did so, I apologize).

09-14-2003 at 04:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
All right, I changed it, and it will appear in the next version of Deep Hold. Meanwhile, I suggest that people here avoide 2S until they have completed everything else.

09-14-2003 at 04:43 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Is anyone far along enough to give me a "review"? I'd like to know what everyone thinks of my hold.

09-15-2003 at 11:47 PM
eytanz
Well, I've only played level 1 - I don't have much time and I was waiting for a final version before starting a save mid-level - and unfortunately, I lost my saves because I forgot to export my player before installing the latest build - but I can give you some comments according to what I remember:

I'm going to start with the bad and end with the good:

- As someone mentioned above, you should drop the referrence to rooted hold in the description (and on any scrolls if there are any that mention it). Rooted Hold is part of the official storyline, and we shouldn't use it until we know what it's officially about.

- Overall, the rooms were good but not great. Some of them relied way too much on boring hack&slash without any tactics - as a rule of thumb, avoid too many places where you must stand in place and kill 100+ roaches/babies/etc. Used sparingly, that's ok - but more than once every two levels or so isn't good. It's one thing to include a lot of monsters where they make the room difficult - but anywhere where you can kill 150 monsters as easily as 15 you should reduce the number.

- Some of your rooms could use more checkpoints.

- Also, the rooms - even the best ones - felt unpolished. There were too many places where you could end up standing on a door, and edges that you can't leave by (such as from 1N back to 1S). Between this, your rather rapid upload schedule, and the fact that you released several unplaytested versions, there's a strong feeling that this hold is being rushed - that you are too impatient to finish the job properly. That's a shame, because:

- You have some really good ideas. Some of the rooms are really good - and a lot of them could be better, if you'd smooth the rough edges.

Hope this helps,
Eytan

09-16-2003 at 04:53 AM
StuartK
icon Re: Re: Deep Hold III - Next Version (0)  
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
Is anyone far along enough to give me a "review"? I'd like to know what everyone thinks of my hold.
I was putting some notes together for level two, and I was going to add some more detail about level 1, and some stuff about level 3, but unfortunately my dats got corrupted and I lost my progress. Here's what I have anyway.

Also, did you read my feedback regarding level 1? Some things I noticed (e.g. the doors in the goblin room) you didn't change, at least in the version I played.

I'll play levels 3 and 4 later... Don't expect any quick feedback here.

There have been several rooms where I *want* the room to be unsolvable from certain entrances.
Why? A players reaction could be 'my time is being wasted on impossible tasks, why am I doing this? Sure looks nice outside, maybe I'll go for a walk' IMO it's not an entertaining design choice. But then, I can't think of a specific instance where it really mattered in your hold that I noticed (there are some rooms which are harder from a particular direction, but not necessarily impossible)

Anyway, if you don't want people to make the mistake that a room is impossible (thus wasting their time) consider blocking the route from the other direction, at least until the room is complete. There are a number of ways of doing so, depending on how navigable you want the level to be once the rooms are completed. The entrance to a room you don't want used could be blocked with a green door with a space behind, so the player doesn't stand ontop of it when going from the adjacent room. Green doors (or any doors) you end up standing on = lazy design (again IMO) If fixed, the player may be able to see the room, but won't, obviously, be able to play it. Other things you could do are yellow doors with orbs only accessible from one direction, or force arrows pointing one way. Or else, just change the adjacent room and move the exit to a different place, from where the room /is/ completable.

Also worth checking - if a room can only be completed from one direction, if the player somehow manages to get to the other side but not complete it, can he get back again?

I fixed L1 1S, and I assure you that level two is completable as it is. My next release (levels three and four) will be released some time today probably. Again, please tell me if there's anything else that needs to be changed.....

P.S. Where in level two *does* the tar affect the entrance to the room?
Just one place. I thought there were more, but I hadn't thoroughly played the level at the point I said that. Bad assumption...

OK, my comments on level 2.

Click here to view the secret text

Excuse any mistakes, that turned out rather long...
09-16-2003 at 04:57 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
As I recall, there were a few rooms in Dugan's that were intended to be impossible from the wrong direction.

Matt

09-16-2003 at 03:34 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
If it is obvious from the way that you keep horribly dying that you aren't entering from the right direction, that's okay--it's part of the puzzle. And being able to tell at a glance that you can't kill that roach queen on the other side of the force arrows without entering from a certain side is okay too. But if you spend 30 minutes on a room that looks perfectly solvable (if a little hard) only to find that you absolutely have to enter it from one direction...well, that's pretty discouraging.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-16-2003 at 05:17 PM
The_Red_Hawk
OK, thanks.....I will change the rooms, but I don't have time right now...I guess the answers will appear in version 5.

09-16-2003 at 05:27 PM
The_Red_Hawk
I won't be able to work for the next few days, but please give comments on levels 3 and 4 when you have completed them.

09-17-2003 at 01:37 AM
Page 1 of 13
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Deep Hold (.....Depth is Everything.....)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com