Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Water and boxs!
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Anson
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 67
IP: Logged
icon Water and boxs! (-1)  
The water is unpassable,
unless you put a box on it,
It will float!
This could be good for puzzles!
Also beethro must move in a box to pust it,
But not SW NW EW W EN SN N ES NS.
Tar and mud can cross water.

Please, I admire Guthix, I solve problems, I fix rules too. I used to be a Scoundril, Complaining about the forums, But now i changed.
Click here to view the secret text

02-25-2007 at 06:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: Water and boxs! (0)  
I know I've said it before, but I feel like I have to say it every time: really, seriously, Anson, use paragraphs. Enough free verse.

And...

Anson wrote:

...I don't even know what that's supposed to mean.

But, anyway, there's been (I believe) official resistance to the idea of anything pushable in the game.
02-25-2007 at 07:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: Water and boxs! (+2)  
I think EW means you can't move it both east and west at the same time.
02-25-2007 at 07:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Anson
icon Re: Water and boxs! (-2)  
Tahnan wrote:
I know I've said it before, but I feel like I have to say it every time: really, seriously, Anson, use paragraphs. Enough free verse.

And...

Anson wrote:

But, anyway, there's been (I believe) official resistance to the idea of anything pushable in the game.
YOU KEEP RATING MY POSTS 1-,
HOW DARE YOU :angry

Please, I admire Guthix, I solve problems, I fix rules too. I used to be a Scoundril, Complaining about the forums, But now i changed.

02-25-2007 at 07:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Anson
icon Re: Water and boxs! (-2)  
Banjooie wrote:
I think EW means you can't move it both east and west at the same time.
AND YOU! :angry

02-25-2007 at 07:14 AM
jemann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 160
I never knew the compass had so many points. Non-Euclidean geometry, perhaps?
02-25-2007 at 07:15 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Water and boxs! (+1)  
Anson, please stop posting messages expressing anger toward people who are replying to your posts.

I'll give you some friendly advice. If you feel like posting an idea you really like, but you feel you won't be able to handle it when people don't understand what you're saying or they don't like your idea, then I'd recommend just not posting until a time comes when you are able to take criticism in stride. This forum is not a place for you to push your ideas on others, make demands, or whine when people don't like what you do. (Actually, I don't know of any place where it's welcomed for members of a group to act this way.) If that's not your style, that's fine. Still, I ask that you respect other people while you post here.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
02-25-2007 at 07:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Am I the only one that find Banjooies post rather mean, especially considering that Anson has already proven to be quite sensetive? I really don't understand why such a post should be ranked as positive -_-

Oh, and Anson. I really agree with Tahan. It is difficult to read your posts. Please don't press enter to seperate sentences. Use space (the same button you use to separate words). It would also serve you well to read through your posts to see if they really are understandable. I didn't understand your post either. Maybe you meant that you can't enter a box diagonally? Also: Don't be so sure that Tahan was the one to give your post a -1 (or -2). I would guess that it wasn't him.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 02-25-2007 08:23 AM]
02-25-2007 at 08:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Blondbeard wrote:
Am I the only one that find Banjooies post rather mean, especially considering that Anson has already proven to be quite sensetive? I really don't understand why such a post should be ranked as positive -_-
Errr... what post? The one that "EW" means "neither east nor west"?

Or am I missing something? :huh

If it's that "lurk more" thing in the other thread - that's not mean, that's basic forum etiquette.

np: Autechre - Maetl (Incunabula)

02-25-2007 at 09:44 AM
Blondbeard
Briareos wrote:
Blondbeard wrote:
Errr... what post? The one that "EW" means "neither east nor west"?

Or am I missing something? :huh

If it's that "lurk more" thing in the other thread - that's not mean, that's basic forum etiquette.

np: Autechre - Maetl (Incunabula)

Yes, I mean the EW thing:

Banjooie wrote:
"I think EW means you can't move it both east and west at the same time."

What Banjooie wrote was IMO offensive, since you can't move both east and west at the same time. Thus I think he redicules Anson by sugesting that this was what Anson meant.
02-25-2007 at 09:59 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Yeah, probably. But you'll never be able to stop Banjooie, he's funny.
02-25-2007 at 10:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Blondbeard wrote:
What Banjooie wrote was IMO offensive, since you can't move both east and west at the same time. Thus I think he redicules Anson by sugesting that this was what Anson meant.

If you have read something into Anson's post that does not say 'Beethro cannot push the box both east and west at the same time', feel free to share it with me. I'm especially interested in precisely what direction 'NS' is.
02-25-2007 at 10:16 AM
Briareos
Banjooie wrote:
I'm especially interested in precisely what direction 'NS' is.
That's one (very bad and ugly) direction that you really, REALLY don't want to go (again) here in Austria (as well as Germany, and probably just about everywhere else).

np: Autechre - Dropp (EP7)

[Last edited by Briareos at 02-25-2007 10:48 AM]
02-25-2007 at 10:47 AM
Banjooie
...excellently done, sir.
02-25-2007 at 10:52 AM
Blondbeard
TripleM wrote:
Yeah, probably. But you'll never be able to stop Banjooie, he's funny.

Sigh! I don't find it funny when someone is intentionally cruel to small children. Yes, what Anson said didn't make much sense, but that's no reason to make fun of him. I think it's bad because it seems to really sadden him.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 02-25-2007 11:34 AM]
02-25-2007 at 11:33 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
I like Banjooie, he's evil. But it's a pity really, because it seems that Anson is meaning well, just a little confused.

02-25-2007 at 11:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
tokyokid
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 453
Anson wrote:
The water is unpassable,
unless you put a box on it,
It will float!
This could be good for puzzles!
Also beethro must move in a box to pust it,
Tar and mud can cross water.
I don't see any reason to mod that post down -2. He just doesn't get paragraphs, and he's a little confused with the directions. What's wrong with that?

And besides, I like the idea a bit. :)

[Last edited by tokyokid at 02-25-2007 01:50 PM]
02-25-2007 at 01:48 PM
skell
Rank Points: 3734
Another UU kind of discussion:
Two flaming groups flaming each other in quite cultural manner...
And of course those who try to calm everything ^^;

I'm against this idea. I already know how devious things you can create with this kind of elements... Now add roach queens, goblins and brains, and you have puzzle too hard for my small mind...

And I second what mrimer said. And Blondbeard too I think...

[Last edited by skell at 01-29-2012 08:44 PM : Going to the keep]
02-25-2007 at 02:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
skell wrote:
I'm against this idea. I already know how devious things you can create with this kind of elements... Now add roach queens, goblins and brains, and you have puzzle too hard for my small mind...
That, and I believe it was Erik who set into stone ages ago that pushable things are a Really Big No-No(TM) in DROD.

np: Autechre - Stop Look Listen (We Are Reasonable People)

02-25-2007 at 02:30 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
Anson wrote:
Tahnan wrote:

And...

Anson wrote:

YOU KEEP RATING MY POSTS 1-,
HOW DARE YOU :angry

Dude, you're just so lucky. Me, i had a -20 a little in the past, so don't think a single -1 is bad.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

02-25-2007 at 03:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Briareos wrote:
skell wrote:
That, and I believe it was Erik who set into stone ages ago that pushable things are a Really Big No-No(TM) in DROD.

np: Autechre - Stop Look Listen (We Are Reasonable People)

More than just a Really Big No-No(TM), they're never going to be in the game, unless Erik and Mike both get possessed by the ghost of Sokoban. Hopefully, they won't.

02-25-2007 at 05:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I must say, there are days when it seems like it was a really bad idea to build Erik's Basement over an Indian videogame burial ground. You should have been there the weekend Schik got possessed by the ghost of tetris and tried to make the highscore spider rotate all the demos until they fit into neat lines.

02-25-2007 at 05:43 PM
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
Man, poor Anson only has 3 rank points . . .

Just a thought . . . if you're all annoyed at whoever modded him down, then mod him back up!

02-25-2007 at 06:26 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Kwakstur wrote:
Man, poor Anson only has 3 rank points . . .

Just a thought . . . if you're all annoyed at whoever modded him down, then mod him back up!

While I've never modded Anson down myself, I'm not annoyed at the people modding him down, either. A lot of people (e.g. Mike above) have taken time and effort to politely, clearly, and clamly explain to Anson why he gets negative reactions. Anson just keeps repeating the things he's been advised not to do. He's not breaking any rules and he's welcome to stay here, but if he wants to post in a way that he's been told would generate negative mods, he should expect negative mods.

02-25-2007 at 06:29 PM
Briareos
eytanz wrote:
I must say, there are days when it seems like it was a really bad idea to build Erik's Basement over an Indian videogame burial ground. You should have been there the weekend Schik got possessed by the ghost of tetris and tried to make the highscore spider rotate all the demos until they fit into neat lines.
So that's where all those E.T. cartridges went. I take it there also won't be any holes to fall into in future DROD versions? :D

np: Various Artists - Autechre Rmx (Für Dich)

02-25-2007 at 06:41 PM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
The Mothingness is very, very angry.

02-25-2007 at 06:48 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Maurog wrote:
The Mothingness is very, very angry.
Man, Maurog...I can't but help modding you up for all the hilarious things you share here...but I'm a bit torn because I realize all I'm doing is funding the anti-blowup smiley crusade. :lol

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
02-25-2007 at 08:43 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
Actually, you're funding a lot more than you might think...

His next target: Triple-Quoting!

[Last edited by Chaco at 02-25-2007 08:55 PM : wrong URL]
02-25-2007 at 08:55 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Chaco wrote:
Actually, you're funding a lot more than you might think...

His next target: Triple-Quoting!

If you check the edit date, you will notice that he hasn't updated that for a while. Pity really, I enjoyed making snide comments in all my posts :D
02-25-2007 at 09:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
You know, just to be clear, I don't even remember whether I modded down Anson's first post, but I don't believe I did. On the other hand, I just spent a few rank points to mod down this reply another point, not because it was egregiously bad (which it kind of was), but out of principle. For Pete's sake, Anson, if you don't want to be modded down, try saying something worth modding up.

I don't feel any particular need to mock children (again, I note, if Anson is indeed a child); but I don't feel any particular need to coddle children who come to a place where the discussion is meant to be constructive and civilized, and proceed to be neither. I modded down Anson's reply to be because it failed to be the latter (actually, it also failed to be the former as well), but it strikes me that I might in fact have modded down Anson's first because, because it failed to be the former. Or at least: it was, literally, too incoherent to be at all a constructive suggestion.

+2 to the first person who can actually offer a reasonable interpretation of "Also beethro must move in a box to pust it, but not SW NW EW W EN SN N ES NS."
02-25-2007 at 11:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Water and boxs!
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com