Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD battle (My try...)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
IP: Logged

File: Arena.jpg (72 KB)
Downloaded 68 times.
License: Other
icon DROD battle (+1)  
As you well may know, the topic of multiplayer DROD has been discussed and rediscussed...

The main arguments against a battle between smitemasters were stalemate situations (when both smitemasters kill each other) and simultaneus movement (when both try to go on the same square).
I tried to think of a way to solve these two problems.

My solution was that the different smitemasters do *not* move at the same time, but alternatively and get to see each other's last moves. The one who goes first has a quite small (if any) advantage at all if the space between the smitemasters is large enough and both the above problems are solved.
A new problem occurs however: It is quite easy for both smitemasters to avoid being killed at all.

This, in it's turn is solved by not letting lone smitemasters fight against each other, but rather teams of them.
I also designed a small arena to show what I mean. (See attachement). In this arena it would be East-West against North-South with the following movement order(I tried to make it as fair as possible):

14  11  07  02    

15                  03

10                  06

08                  12

01                  13

04  05  09  14    

Fuse movement would happen immediately after the movement of the Smitemaster who lit the fuse.

It would also be forbidden for a group of people to use their swords as walls and completely isolate themselves between. This would be a quite easy decision I believe, so no long discussions required :).

That would be my idea.

Please comment

By the way, I did not put this in forum discussion, as I do not intend this to be implemented into the game. I'm thinking along the lines of chat session or separate program.

[Last edited by Dex Stewart at 02-16-2007 06:34 PM]
02-16-2007 at 06:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: DROD battle (0)  
I think the issue of "who starts first has an advantage" is actually *the* fundamental flaw why multi player could not be set up. The first player will always have the advantage regardless of any initial setup and stalemates will be inevitable.

The only viable solution I see is a "race to the flag" scenario say where both players have to conquer 3 (say) randomly spawned rooms and then reach a common point in the common 4th room (the rooms and start points would be identical for both players). This would become more of a live optimisation challenge in brand-new rooms. There'd need to be a 20-30 sec move limit for each player and the ability to see the other player's after both have moved.

I'm almost of the opinion of most that DROD multi-player should never be attempted out of principle. A viable solution is to take DROD elements and create a different game in itself like Erik demonstrated perfectly with the Snake contest. For sir Pegg to mention this backs up my feelings that this was a stroke of genius (yet again).

DROD is single-player's haven of multi-playable concepts.
02-16-2007 at 08:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ravon
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
For the most part, I agree that multiplayer DROD would not work at all. However, roborally style DROD could be quite interesting.

For those of you who don't know, roborally is a board game, (and quite a fun one at that) involving robots, racing to different points on a board. The interesting thing about it, however, is that players make their moves in batches of fives before seeing what goes on.

In DROD, this could be thought of even simpler, say moves of two or three. Both players input their desired next three moves, for instance, 5q9. Once every player has inputted their three moves, all of the Smitemasters execute their given sequence. Move order could rotate clockwise each set of moves.

While this would get rid of one of the fundamental principles of DROD (move, see what happens, repeat) IMO, it is the only way multiplayer smiting could be implemented well.
02-16-2007 at 08:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
icon Re: DROD battle (+1)  
Ravon wrote:
However, roborally style DROD could be quite interesting.

This actually has been done before
02-16-2007 at 08:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
BDR
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 106
Ezlo wrote:
This actually has been done before

Dangit all, I would have liked that contest...
02-17-2007 at 03:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Yeah, someone should do another one as an unofficial contest. I would run it, except for the fact that I want to play. :P
02-17-2007 at 03:46 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Ezlo wrote:
Yeah, someone should do another one as an unofficial contest. I would run it, except for the fact that I want to play. :P
Hmm, I'll look into it.
02-17-2007 at 03:58 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
hmmm, would it be possible to hack up the 'snakes... to the death' code to make something playable?
It's not vital, but it would be damn cool.
02-17-2007 at 04:07 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD battle (My try...)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com