Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Finding demos
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Songsmith
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 38
IP: Logged
icon Finding demos (0)  
Am I being totally thick, totally blind.... or both?

There's a lot of talk of demos being available. Yesterday I finally managed to conquer a room I've been stuck on for nearly a year, so first I uploaded my scores from the Settings page; then I went to the hold and room list to see where I appeared in the list of conquerers of that room. The room only showed 41 people... and I wasn't among them! Not only that, but I could not find the demos from any of the fastest people to compare it to mine.

So my question is twofold:
1. Where are the demos and how do I find them?
2. Why aren't my uploaded scores showing up?

Oh yes - it was Bavato's dungeon, level 3, 1N

Thank you :-)
Jan

[Last edited by Songsmith at 02-14-2007 05:21 PM]
02-14-2007 at 05:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Finding demos (+3)  
Songsmith wrote:
So my question is twofold:
1. Where are the demos and how do I find them?
Well, the demos should appear in-game when you hit F6 in the room or on the restore screen - if they're not showing up then something's definitely wonky.

The fastest three scores for this room (Bavato's Dungeon, Level 3 1N) are Rabscuttle, DrBug and me with 833, 913 and 939 moves respectively - are those showing up for you? Which demos do show up for you?

2. Why aren't my uploaded scores showing up?
Something must've gone wrong when uploading, it seems - your score doesn't seem to be on the high scores page at all... :(

You could try doing a full score upload by quitting DROD, changing "FullScoreUpload=0" in your DROD.ini to "FullScoreUpload=1" then running the game and doing another score upload from the settings screen - if that doesn't fix it, something must have gone very wrong...

np: The Postal Service - Nothing Better (Styrofoam Remix) (We Will Become Silhouettes)

02-14-2007 at 05:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: Finding demos (+1)  
Do you have "save demo on room completion" in your settings?
02-15-2007 at 10:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Songsmith
icon Re: Finding demos (0)  
Syntax wrote:
Do you have "save demo on room completion" in your settings?

Yes I do!

I've also added 'drod.exe' to my firewall exceptions list, so in theory we ought to have communication. Certainly on the welcome screen when I open drod, the box in the top RH corner has a green tick in it, not a red cross, and (as far as I know) I'm getting the most up-to-date message scrolling across the bottom of the screen.

I've even tried getting requesting a new key, and using that when it arrived. But that doesn't seem to have made a difference either.

Any further ideas? ... please??
Jan

02-16-2007 at 01:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
icon Re: Finding demos (+2)  
Are you unable to upload demos at all? There are two ways: You can upload all demos in one big batch, or you can upload a demo every time you complete a room. The latter happens automatically, provided you are connected at the time you exit the room (and you have demo recording enabled, which you do). Have you tried replaying the room? Make sure you have the green tick, restore to a point near the end of the room (hopefully you can), and complete the room again. If that doesn't work, there's a problem.

Can you download demos? Press F6 in a room you have cleared. You should get a list of the top demos at the bottom-left. Double-click one of them to download it. It will then appear in the top-left list, where you can select and watch it.

If the above works, I don't see why a full score upload shouldn't also work, but let's first see how it goes with demo watching and uploading one demo at a time.

02-16-2007 at 02:05 PM
Songsmith
icon Re: Finding demos (0)  
michthro wrote:
Are you unable to upload demos at all?
No, I can't. I can attach them to posts such as this one... but that's not very helpful unless I'm asking for help with a room!

Can you download demos?
No, not from within the game. I can download from the website to my harddisk (if someone attaches one to a discussion posting) and then watch them that way, but the list does not automatically appear in the bottom LH corner - it just says "This hold is not published on CaravelNet".

But if I decide to 'change Location' to another game, the greyed out list of games not yet imported by me is visible; I don't have to go to the site to save them to my hard disk first.

Am I completely scuppered? <fingers crossed!>
Jan

[Last edited by Songsmith at 02-16-2007 04:42 PM]
02-16-2007 at 04:40 PM
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
icon Re: Finding demos (+2)  
Songsmith wrote:
...it just says "This hold is not published on CaravelNet".
Oh, wait. That probably only means you have an outdated copy of the hold. Go to "Change Location". It should say "Updated!" after the name of the hold. Download it again, and see if you can download demos.
But if I decide to 'change Location' to another game, the greyed out list of games not yet imported by me is visible;
That's good. It means you are communicating with the server.
Am I completely scuppered? <fingers crossed!>
No, I don't think there's much of a problem, since you can get the holds list.

02-16-2007 at 04:57 PM
Songsmith
michthro wrote: Oh, wait. That probably only means you have an outdated copy of the hold. Go to "Change Location". It should say "Updated!" after the name of the hold. Download it again, and see if you can download demos.
Aaahhh!!! :thumbsup Got it!! Thank you very much. All I have to do now is go back and replay the room because I conquered a version that wasn't up to date!!

It's friday afternoon, and I'm off home now that's sorted. I'll try not to backswipe anyone with my car!

Jan

02-16-2007 at 05:51 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
You may not have to replay the room if that room hasn't changed in a way which would make your demo invalid. A full demo upload should take care of most rooms in this case.

Glad you're all sorted tho :)
02-16-2007 at 08:09 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Finding demos
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes