Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Bad demo?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
jbluestein
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1670
IP: Logged
icon Bad demo? (0)  
I seem to have taken a #1 in Ravenous: Bait: Entrance with a three-move demo.

I'm not really sure how I managed this, since it's (as far as I can tell) impossible to finish the room in fewer than four moves.

My suspicion is that at one time, in an earlier version of the hold, Beethro started one square closer to the entrance. My demo seems to start one square closer -- but if it's from an earlier version of the hold, shouldn't it not be counted?

(I recently did a score upload from my home machine, which would explain why it just showed up...)

Josh

02-12-2007 at 02:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: Bad demo? (0)  
bumping this because it doesn't seem to have been noticed the first time.

Josh

03-05-2007 at 06:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
KevG
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 333
I tried clicking on the spider icon. The spider re-verified the demo and it's still there.
03-05-2007 at 07:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
Yeah, the problem is that it's a perfectly valid demo. It just can't be recreated with the current version of the hold.

We should delete this individual demo, but I'm not sure what to do for a general solution to the problem. Mike might have some ideas...?

03-05-2007 at 08:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
Schik wrote:
Yeah, the problem is that it's a perfectly valid demo. It just can't be recreated with the current version of the hold.

We should delete this individual demo, but I'm not sure what to do for a general solution to the problem. Mike might have some ideas...?
Good question. I agree we should delete demos that aren't possible for the current room version, but I don't know how to do this in general.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-06-2007 12:28 AM]
03-05-2007 at 09:39 PM
schep
Rank Points: 865
icon Re: Bad demo? (+1)  
Have the spider check that the start coordinates are at the room edge or a level entrance? A bit of work, but shouldn't be too rough on performance.
03-05-2007 at 11:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
But that doesn't quite cover it--there's that one room in that one hold (wasn't that helpful?) in which demos from a previous version did start at what was still a valid entrance; it was just an entrance that could no longer be reached before the room was already conquered.
03-06-2007 at 03:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Well, it might not be perfect, but it will reduce the amount of problem demos. There is probably no heuristic that will catch the situation you just described.

03-06-2007 at 03:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
eytanz wrote:
Well, it might not be perfect, but it will reduce the amount of problem demos. There is probably no heuristic that will catch the situation you just described.
If there turns out to be no such heuristic, then sure, we should catch whatever we can. I just wanted to point out that there's a more general "this demo is from an old version of the hold" problem that may or may not be solvable.

(Is there a reason, especially now that holds can't casually be changed once posted to the board, that holds can't be marked in the code with a unique version ID, such that the spider would reject demos from an earlier ID?)
03-06-2007 at 06:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Tahnan wrote:
(Is there a reason, especially now that holds can't casually be changed once posted to the board, that holds can't be marked in the code with a unique version ID, such that the spider would reject demos from an earlier ID?)
Ummm... I hope you mean this to be on a room-by-room basis, and even then it doesn't mean older demos are automagically invalid, as long as they started at the "correct" entrance and not at the one that's now inaccessible.

Throwing out all demos from earlier versions of a hold just because is evil. -_-

[Last edited by Briareos at 03-06-2007 01:22 PM]
03-06-2007 at 08:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Briareos wrote:
Tahnan wrote:
eytanz wrote:
Ummm... I hope you mean this to be on a room-by-room basis, and even then it doesn't mean older demos are automagically invalid, as long as they started at the "correct" entrance and not at the one that's now inaccessible.

Throwing out all demos from earlier versions of a hold just because is evil. -_-

Whoa - screwy quotation.

Backwards compatibility is the biggest issue - both in the sense of the holds that are already published, and for holds that will be updated in the future.

However, Tahnan's post raises a good point - since architects can no longer just haphazardly update their holds, this entire issue becomes a lot less problematic as the likelihood of such demos from being possible decreases considerably.

[Last edited by eytanz at 03-06-2007 12:17 PM]
03-06-2007 at 12:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
eytanz wrote:
Whoa - screwy quotation.
Fixxored.

03-06-2007 at 01:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Bad demo?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com