Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Lyle in Cube Sector
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Nillo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 548
IP: Logged
icon Lyle in Cube Sector (+1)  
Here's a not-exactly-new game that I came across recently:

Lyle in Cube Sector

Metroid-like, stylish adventure platformer. There's no complicated storyline that slows things down - everything you need to know is in a short intro sequence. Try it out!

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
02-05-2007 at 08:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: Lyle in Cube Sector (0)  
The arkanoid boss is only moderately irritating compared to the work you have to go through to get to him every time you die.
02-06-2007 at 08:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
I beat the first two bosses on the first try... they're quite easy once you figure out what they do and when they do it. If you're still stuck, consider searching for secret orbs.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
02-07-2007 at 07:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Radiant!
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 24
Got him on second try; at first try I entered there with two life blocks left. It's mildly annoying that no matter how many 'extra life' blocks you get, you always start with five anyway.

I got as far as the last boss. He has a longer and worse path you have to cross every time to get to him. Got 7 out of 10 CP.
02-07-2007 at 08:21 AM
View Profile Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I'm progressing slowly in this game - I've gotten my first CP level now, and one CP orb, but I haven't found the CP upgrade room. I also know how to kick.

It's a fun game but having to restart at the beginning and get my life back up to max every time I die is a drag.

02-07-2007 at 11:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Radiant!
It's a fun game but having to restart at the beginning and get my life back up to max every time I die is a drag.

Actually I don't usually bother. The travel paths aren't that long (well, except for those to the 2nd and 3rd boss).

02-07-2007 at 11:30 AM
eytanz
Ok, so now I found the "CP upgrade" room mentioned in the note - all it did is take away my orb and light a light in the corner. Do I need to find all ten orbs for something to happen?

02-07-2007 at 11:55 AM
Radiant!
No. 3 orbs for the first powerup, 7 for the second. I assume 10 for the third, but I haven't found the last three orbs yet.

Try getting the first powerup as soon as possible, it's not strictly necessary but very useful.
02-07-2007 at 04:01 PM
Zaratustra00
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
The last CP upgrade is ... you need half as much CP to make cubes. Lame.
02-07-2007 at 07:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant!
Ok. Can you please tell me where to find the tenth CP orb? According to the info file, the two hardest orbs are in a certain described room, but I can only find one there.

02-08-2007 at 08:48 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
The easiest way to fill up your health is just to use the first teleporter, jump down, and then fill it up.

It's not so bad from the highest teleporter, either.

But that run to the Arkanoid boss is just too brutal for me to bother--also, one of the advantages to half-CP price is that you can fly for longer, I'd assume.
02-08-2007 at 11:14 AM
eytanz
You know, I'm feeling a bit stupid, but I can't find more than 4 CP orbs - I've done everything else, up to and including killing the Arkanoid boss and learning to lift big cubes, but I still am missing 3 CPs for the second upgrade. Anyone care to give me a hint to where the first 7 orbs lie?

Edit: never mind, found it. As usual, posting on the forums solves most problems.

[Last edited by eytanz at 02-08-2007 09:09 PM]
02-08-2007 at 08:44 PM
eytanz
Radiant! wrote:
Ok. Can you please tell me where to find the tenth CP orb? According to the info file, the two hardest orbs are in a certain described room, but I can only find one there.

I don't know if you still need help here, but I should point out that the text file is misleading - there's only one CP orb in that room (the other orb they're talking about is a life orb). If you still want hints to the location of the final orb, let me know.

02-09-2007 at 07:34 PM
Nillo
I'm only missing one life orb, myself. As for hints, one of the last orbs I found was in an egg, in the middle of a large room. Can't remember if it was hp or cp.

02-09-2007 at 09:16 PM
eytanz
That was a CP egg. It's one of the first 7, though.

02-09-2007 at 11:30 PM
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
eytanz wrote:
I don't know if you still need help here, but I should point out that the text file is misleading - there's only one CP orb in that room
Yeah, I kind of figured that out by now :) still I'd like help finding the tenth one, I'm so not going to search every room for secret passages.

Let's see. I've got the cow one, and the dog one, and the multiple lava beams one, and one in a glowing ball, and one in a chimney pipe, and four others that I can't remember off the top of my head. But perhaps some of these are life orbs rather than CP orbs :(

02-09-2007 at 11:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
I think the most likely one is the one that's found very close to the second boss - there's a couple of places there you cannot reach without getting the second CP upgrade first - one such place contains a blue orb there and the other a CP orb.

02-10-2007 at 02:17 AM
Radiant
You mean the big room directly before the arkanoid boss? Nope, got that one already. Other ideas welcome!

Edit - never mind, it was the egg. Okay, all hp and cp orbs now, haven't found the secret room yet, and I can so far manage to beat the third boss but not the fourth. It's just really annoying to have to travel there all over again every time you fail.

[Last edited by Radiant at 02-10-2007 10:46 AM]
02-10-2007 at 10:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Hmmm... I got the egg as one of my first 7, and I was under the impression that eggs 8-10 required the upgrade first. Guess I was wrong.

I'm in the same position as you, progress-wise. If anyone wants to spoil the location of the secret room, just send me a PM.

02-10-2007 at 01:08 PM
Radiant
I'm in the same position as you, progress-wise. If anyone wants to spoil the location of the secret room, just send me a PM.

Nah, just put it here in spoiler tags :) I'm also curious.

02-11-2007 at 02:20 PM
eytanz
I found a secret room (I read somewhere online that there are two, but I don't know if that's right or not):

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by eytanz at 02-11-2007 06:05 PM]
02-11-2007 at 06:05 PM
Radiant
Thanks. Rather disappointing secret, I must say.

02-12-2007 at 07:24 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Lyle in Cube Sector
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com