Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Fish Fillets 2 (sequel to one of the best puzzle games)
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Doom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3226
IP: Logged
icon Fish Fillets 2 (+2)  
Out of the blue, I remember the game Fish Fillets and go check out if there have been any updates to the NG -version. And I find out about this...

A sequel is being developed by the original creators. The news and press mentions are only available in czech, but other information is in english.
http://www.fish-fillets.com/pages/news.html

Most notably, there are more playable characters and the graphics have been improved a lot (check the screenshots). A level editor is a *possibility*

The release doesn't seem to be far away either since they have already some previews and one actual review on the site (Hey, Erik, you're not the only one collecting those :D).

[note: The game has been released since the original post. Good stuff, go check it out!]

[Last edited by Doom at 02-09-2008 04:18 PM : updated the link and added a note]
02-01-2007 at 04:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Fish Fillets 2 (0)  
Wow. Excellent news! I can't wait. :)

02-01-2007 at 04:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Excellent! Someone else can write a FAQ for the sequel though, I think. :P

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
02-01-2007 at 05:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Your walkthrough is a bit outdated for FF 1, by the way, since the latest version (of the remake) includes an additional level.

02-01-2007 at 07:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
eytanz wrote:
Your walkthrough is a bit outdated for FF 1, by the way, since the latest version (of the remake) includes an additional level.
I didn't realize that. I only ever played the original version, not the remake that was Linux-compatible. Do you mean a whole new series of levels or just one single level? I wasn't planning on updating the FAQ again although that would probably be something worth updating for if someone else wanted to write it up (although technically I should be able to get there quickly since I have the solutions written up, I don't necessarily want to anymore :P).

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
02-01-2007 at 10:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
It's one single level. It's production values are a bit lower as far as I can see - there are clipping issues with some of the graphics.

I'll tell you what - if I solve it I'll post the solution here and then you can update the FAQ.

02-01-2007 at 10:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Yellow_Mage
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
Oneiromancer wrote:
Excellent! Someone else can write a FAQ for the sequel though, I think. :P

Game on,

Wow, you finished it!!! Haha, great...

Secretly I was looking at your faq on Gamefaqs and I guessed it was you (Oneiros - good enough bloke to write a faq). I didn't really have the stamina/patience in completing it because I found it extremely daunting or frustrating, usually both.

I like to see where this game goes with multiple characters. I'm too scared to download right now, still got bad memories of the first game. I rarely get that angry at a game.

Click here to view the secret text

02-10-2007 at 06:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Fish Fillets 2 (+1)  
The game has been released with a € 16.70 price tag.

Downloading the demo now... (It's not directly on the main site, but as an option near the sprocket store site)

Edit: Mastered the demo. The cellar stars were actually fairly tricky to obtain after the relative triviality of most available levels. /Me wants to see more of this.

Good taste with new/improved features from the designers, too. Unlimited undo *and* free unlimited saving/loading into multiple states ensure that minor miscalculations don't ruin the day.

[Last edited by Doom at 03-06-2007 08:37 PM]
03-06-2007 at 12:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
I finally got around to downloading the trial version and playing all the available rooms. Sadly, the room with the big crab (one of the first rooms after the tutorials) stumped me the longest...because I couldn't tell that the table was movable. After that most of the solutions were obvious, although after playing FF1 for so long it was very hard to accept the paradigm shift of being able to carry items down, or to push them along the backs of the fish. It seems to me that they still could have had many new puzzles with the kelp, extra characters, etc., and not changed the game mechanics. However, all the other new stuff is pretty awesome. I will probably buy it before too long. Especially because they linked to my walkthrough on the main FF1 page. :D

Game on,

03-07-2007 at 03:28 AM
silver
Rank Points: 915
Oneiromancer wrote:
or to push them along the backs of the fish.

um. I did this a lot in 1?

03-07-2007 at 03:51 AM
Oneiromancer
No, in the first one you could push items along the backs of fish only if they were carrying more than one item. Say one fish was carrying a long board and a small item on top of it, you could push the small item on top of it, or you could push the board onto another item or off the fish and let it fall, but if you pushed the board by itself and it stayed on the fish then the fish holding it would die.

Game on,

03-07-2007 at 03:53 AM
eytanz
silver wrote:
Oneiromancer wrote:
or to push them along the backs of the fish.

um. I did this a lot in 1?

I haven't tried FF2 yet, but in FF1, you cannot push anything along the back of the fish unless it is supported by something other than the fish.

03-07-2007 at 03:54 AM
silver
ah. sorry. I remembered lots of puzzles involving using a fish as a conveyance, but forgot that there was an intermediate object.

03-07-2007 at 06:08 AM
Tombot
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 58
I tried the first version, the third level caused my brain to slowly dribble from my ears but it's an excellent title.

03-07-2007 at 02:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Hmm, I finished the trial with all 6 starfish... not bad, I'll probably buy the full version. The map looks huge, and the puzzles will probably get (much) harder. It's nice that there are more characters in addition to the two fish, and that moving objects on fish or carrying them down doesn't kill them. Really recommended.

03-07-2007 at 06:34 PM
eytanz
I've been playing the demo and enjoying it a lot. The main problem is that I get (infrequent) crashes to desktop, but I think I'll buy the game regardless.

I agree with Onieromancer that it's a bit weird the two fish can move stuff down/push it. Since they have new characters, I would have preferred if they left the classic fish as before and just introduced new characters with these abilities.

03-07-2007 at 06:39 PM
Oneiromancer
Schik was also in agreement with me...if you've played the original as much as some of us have, the new gameplay is paradigm shifting without a clutch. I would have enjoyed seeing the original levels in FF2 (I assume people noticed that the sequel will have the option to import new levels) and with the gameplay change, that isn't possible in their original form. Although I wonder if the new engine can even support rooms as large as the original had, so maybe that wouldn't have been possible anyway.

I hate to admit it, but I only got 2 of the starfish in the demo. My patience level is generally low when it comes to optional things until I beat the required stuff. On the bright side, they will be easier to figure out when I do come back to them, hopefully.

Game on,

03-07-2007 at 10:12 PM
Maurog
I bought it, it just rocks too much. But now it's work time. Damn work, always in the way of important stuff...

03-08-2007 at 05:32 AM
Maurog
Oneiromancer wrote:
I wonder if the new engine can even support rooms as large as the original had...
I just got into a "zoomed out" room, which is 30x50 tiles instead of the 21x32 like all the rooms before it. All hail the new engine!

03-09-2007 at 05:00 PM
Oneiromancer
Oh yeah, I noticed that eventually, I just forgot that I had wondered about it on the board. And I see that you've caught up to me on the leader boards...I will try to advance more this weekend. I doubt I will catch up to Eytan though. He rocks my world in this game for sure, although at least I easily solved a room that he chose to use a wildcard on. (*points and laughs in an attempt to draw attention away from my deficiencies*)

Game on,

03-09-2007 at 10:15 PM
eytanz
Don't underestimate the mystical power of procrastination. But you're seriously not that far behind me. And in the long run, you're going to rank higher than me because you are considerably more efficient.

03-10-2007 at 05:54 AM
Oneiromancer
Well, I'm at 102 levels completed and 35 stars. I still have the bonus levels on the UFO and Archives areas (I got the one in VR and earlier ones) the entirety of the Laboratory (4 levels), and the other 3 final levels to solve, and then the ultimate level. I still haven't used a wildcard to pass a room, and I'm going to try to avoid that as best I can, but if I get down to 2 final rooms left I might break down and use the two I have on those to see the ultimate level. Since every single level I have left is very long and involved...I might just work on stars for now, but we'll see. I definitely already got my money's worth, I am currently 3rd place worldwide (someone already won the contest, but that's okay, I already have a Wii), which is probably the highest I'll get to, especially since Eytan can't upload his progress until Tuesday. ;)

Game on,

03-18-2007 at 06:09 PM
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
Does it work with wine ?

What are the abilities of the rest of the characters ? I've seen the crab on youtube.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
03-18-2007 at 06:25 PM
silver
I tried to get it a couple weeks ago, but the connection to the online store was broken. hrm. guess it's time to try again, even though I'll be in last place.

Not that we should pay attention to place. We all know that it can't be a real puzzle game with a proper competition for place if it has save anywhere :)

[Last edited by silver at 03-18-2007 06:40 PM]
03-18-2007 at 06:40 PM
Oneiromancer
b0rsuk wrote:
Does it work with wine ?

What are the abilities of the rest of the characters ? I've seen the crab on youtube.
I have no idea on the Linux capabilities, sorry.

As for the other characters...gonna secret that in case other people want to find out over the course of the game. Sizes are in height x length.
Click here to view the secret text

Not that we should pay attention to place. We all know that it can't be a real puzzle game with a proper competition for place if it has save anywhere :)
I get the joke, but to clarify I'm mostly talking about the main competition to see who is the first person to beat all 112 levels and collect all 80 stars. And they'll give out t-shirts to the 30 runners-up. The overall placement in terms of number of moves isn't really as much of concern to me, although it is always nice to be the first to find the most efficient solution. :)

Game on,

03-18-2007 at 07:05 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
silver wrote:
I tried to get it a couple weeks ago, but the connection to the online store was broken. hrm. guess it's time to try again, even though I'll be in last place.

Seth and I like Fish Fillets. We enjoyed the FF2 demo over the course of this week and we decided to buy it last night. Had no problem seeing the store. Nice temporary in-room save system they have. Makes me toy with the idea of letting people place that "portable checkpoint" in DROD rooms.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-18-2007 07:34 PM]
03-18-2007 at 07:05 PM
b0rsuk
icon Re: Fish Fillets 2 (+2)  
Speaking of weird ideas,

<free idea>
For RISC OS there was a game called Ground Hog, where you play a groundhog stuck in a time loop. Everytime the clock in the corner of the screen completes its revolution, you're sent back in time to the time you first entered the level. Eventually more and more groundhogs build up in the game, each following the same path as their predecessor. The trick is to stand on the pads to open the doors for your future self, without (a) bumping into your past self, or (b) shooting yourself. This would make an interesting concept for a roguelike - although you'll have to be careful with monster AI in order to avoid the monsters acting differently each loop and attacking a defenceless player.

http://www.phlamethrower.co.uk/misc2/groundhog.png
</free idea>

Taken from: rec.games.roguelike.development

[Last edited by b0rsuk at 03-18-2007 07:54 PM]
03-18-2007 at 07:15 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580

File: ff2-wine.png (1.9 KB)
Downloaded 1398 times.
License: Public Domain
b0rsuk wrote:
Does it work with wine ?
No. Some sort of DRM appears to prevent it from starting (tested demo version):

[Last edited by trick at 03-18-2007 07:45 PM]
03-18-2007 at 07:45 PM
b0rsuk
Heh, I just got the same message myself. The second line (debugger detected) leads me to believe it's indeed some sort of copy protection mechanism. I heard some people complaining about FF2 copy protection, was it in this topic ?

Another reason DRM sucks big time. I can't even run a _demo_ of a game.

03-18-2007 at 07:54 PM
eytanz
Oneiromancer wrote:
which is probably the highest I'll get to, especially since Eytan can't upload his progress until Tuesday. ;)

Game on,

You've genuinely overtaken me, anyway. I still can't upload my scores (I'm using an internet cafe now, my laptop doesn't have a connection), but IIRC I think I'm around 97-98 rooms, and 43 stars.

03-20-2007 at 12:16 PM
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Fish Fillets 2 (sequel to one of the best puzzle games)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com