Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : BUG: CaravelNet hold confusion with beta and released hold version
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
IP: Logged
icon BUG: CaravelNet hold confusion with beta and released hold version (0)  
From a conversation with Eytan (paraphrased for clarity):

Mike says:
If I understand correctly, Ravenous is in beta, but it's also been released?

Eytan says:
basically, yeah.
I think there are two versions.
I was a beta tester, and now I see it double on my holds list. When I download it it says "beta" after the hold's name
(either copy)
but it's an offical hold now
by which I mean in the holds board

Mike says:
okay, that makes sense.  I think we'll need Matt to change this at any time on his end so when a hold is released, don't tell the client about the beta hold any more, or something like that.

Eytan says:
it's treating the version I downloaded as being both the released version (since scores work) and the beta version (since it's labelled BETA)

Mike says:
I think the server is just telling the client that there's a beta hold named Ravenous, so it's calling any hold named Ravenous a beta.  (They're both being marked as beta in your hold list, right?)

Eytan says:
Well, I can only see two before I download.  Once I download, there's only one on my list and I can't see the non-downloaded one but both were marked "beta" in the hold list pre-download (no hold rating).

I gather we should change things for beta holds gone public in the following ways:
1. Don't continue listing the hold as beta to the client once the hold has been released publicly.
2. When a beta tester has the beta hold, he should see the beta hold being marked as "Updated!" when the hold is released publicly, and not see a separate entry in the holds list for the public version that is listed separately from the (installed) beta version.

I'm sure (1) can be fixed server-side, but maybe (2) requires some changes to the client. Matt, let's get together and figure out what needs to be done to fix these (or whatever the real problems are).

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
01-31-2007 at 11:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: BUG: CaravelNet hold confusion with beta and released hold version (0)  
Just in case Tokyokid doesn't remember me betatesting his hold, I should point out that I was not really a beta tester but gained access to the beta by being a hold admin.

01-31-2007 at 11:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: BUG: CaravelNet hold confusion with beta and released hold version (0)  
The real problem is that the beta hold is not yet auto-deleted (or auto-archived for SS holds). Once that's done, this won't be an issue.

02-01-2007 at 12:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : BUG: CaravelNet hold confusion with beta and released hold version
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com