Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Samba/Linux help needed.
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Samba/Linux help needed. (0)  
I thought I'd try here with my problems first. I know at least a few people on the forum are good with Linux, so I'll describe my problem and see if there is any help for me.

I'm trying to network a Linux computer to a Windows 2000 server. It looks like I'm very close. There are several things that are bugging me and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the text files and command line options and other Unixy stuff I'm not used to.

MAIN PROBLEM

I run this command:

[root@localhost Somedir]# smbmount //10.0.0.150/ShareName /mnt/MountedDir U username I 10.0.0.150
11148: session request to 10.0.0.150 failed (Called name not present)
11148: session request to 10 failed (Called name not present)
Password:

I enter the password and the mount is successful, despite the above "Called name not present" messages which I don't understand. However, I've only got read access to "/mnt/MountedDir". My permissions on the Windows 2000 server for the "ShareName" share give everything to "Everyone". Maybe I have the command-line option for smbmount wrong?

NIGGLES AND GENERAL CONFUSION

I edited smb.conf to point to my WINS server on Windows 2000. I wanted to be able to use Netbios names instead of IP addresses, and I thought it might help get around some problems. Testing it out, I get unlikable results:

[root@localhost Somedir]# smbclient -L COMPUTERNAME
added interface ip=10.0.0.149 bcast 10.255.255.255 nmask=255.0.0.0
added interface ip=10.0.0.151 bcast 10.255.255.255 nmask=255.0.0.0
Got a positive name query response from 10.0.0.150 ( 10.10.1.1 )
error connecting to 10.10.1.1:139 (No route to host)
Error connecting to 10.10.1.1 (No route to host)
Connection to COMPUTERNAME FAILED

Note that I have two ethernet cards: eth0 (10.0.0.151) works and eth1 (10.0.0.149) doesn't. I can't physically remove eth1 because it is built into the motherboard. 10.0.0.150 is the IP address of COMPUTERNAME which is the Windows 2000 server running WINS.

I also tried running "smbclient -s /etc/samba/smb.conf -L COMPUTERNAME" with identical results.

I'm really confused about the references to "10.10.1.1" which isn't on my network. To my knowledge I'm not running a proxy server on my Linux computer, although I have to admit I might have somehow installed it without paying much attention to Mandrake dialogs. I don't know where smbclient gets 10.10.1.1 from.

I had one or two other things I was wondering about, but it occurs to me that this is plenty and I'll be lucky if I get useful answers for this much.

-Erik

08-27-2003 at 06:19 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Samba/Linux help needed. (0)  
Well, I found workarounds. At this point, I don't think I can hope to understand why everything does or doesn't work. Always hated futzing with networks.

I ended up installing Samba server and sharing to Windows 2000, instead of accessing shares from Windows. It works. I learned more than I wanted to know, but am still feeling plenty humble.

-Erik

08-27-2003 at 09:49 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
icon Re: Samba/Linux help needed. (0)  
Hm. I guess i'm "the linux guy" around here, but i don't know much about samba.. Glad to see you found a workaround.

This may be a bit late, but, anyway, those failed connections and that is probably because it tries to connect to the faulty interface eth1. If you run ifconfig without arguments (/sbin/ifconfig), you'll see a list of enabled interfaces. If eth1 is there, run (as root)..

ifconfig eth1 down

..to bring down the eth1 interface. It shouldn't give any problems after that. You might also want to take a look at the output of route (/sbin/route), to see what interfaces sends what where.

Edit: About your main problem, you could try adding the 'rw' option to smbmount, like this:

smbmount //10.0.0.150/ShareName /mnt/MountedDir U username I 10.0.0.150 -o rw

I don't know if it'll make a difference (if it defaults to rw or not), but it can't hurt.

[Edited by trick on 08-28-2003 at 12:49 AM]
08-28-2003 at 12:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: Samba/Linux help needed. (0)  
trick wrote:
ifconfig eth1 down
Yeah, that's a good idea in general. I also tried the "rw" option, but it didn't seem to help.

I'm basically rolling along now. If my job was networking, I would have ruthlessly tracked down the flaw in my system, but I just needed to be able to transfer files between my two systems, and that is resolved with my clumsy workaround.

-Erik

08-28-2003 at 01:47 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Samba/Linux help needed.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com