Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : New Hold: Happy House
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Tscott
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 382
IP: Logged

File: Happyhouse.hold (17.3 KB)
Downloaded 146 times.
License: Other
icon New Hold: Happy House (0)  
EDIT: (09-28-03) Added what I hope is the final version of this hold.

I was going to wait until the offical DROD:AE came out, but I can't wait. So I'll let everyone 'playtest' it for me now. ;)

As before, I've played this level many times before releasing it, so all rooms should be solveable and there are no dead end paths. I welcome any feedback (both positive and negative), since as everyone knows it's kind of hard to judge the toughness of rooms you've created yourself.

This hold is, I feel, a little tougher than my former "Impossible Cubes" hold. And there is one room that I sort of feel bad including, but then I think about some of the hard rooms I've played from other's holds, and all those bad feelings are gone. :D Oh, and a minor note, there is one room
Click here to view the secret text
that is a little tougher now than I had originally made it because of the new roach queen rules- but it's still solveable.

Hope you enjoy the Happy House. :)

[Edited by Tscott on 09-28-2003 at 10:51 PM GMT: Final (I hope) version of hold attached]

[Edited by Tscott on 01-18-2004 at 03:54 PM GMT: Uploaded version of hold that should end properly now]

08-26-2003 at 01:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scott
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 578
icon Re: New Hold: Happy House (0)  
I enjoyed this hold. Some rooms are quite a challenge especially 1S3W. Took some time to get through that one. Don't have any specific comments on rooms think they all are pretty nice.
08-26-2003 at 03:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
levelthirteen
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 109

File: H Weve come to scream 1N2W Victory.demo (2.8 KB)
Downloaded 113 times.
License: Other

08-27-2003 at 02:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tscott
icon Re: Re: New Hold: Happy House (0)  
levelthirteen wrote:

Thanks for the imput.:)

08-27-2003 at 03:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
Tscott wrote:

Yes indeed :)

[Edited by StuartK on 08-27-2003 at 04:12 PM GMT: Small logic problem]
08-27-2003 at 05:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tscott
StuartK wrote:
:glasses Thanks, for the comments...

RE: 1N1W

RE: 2W
I honestly haven't tried this yet.

RE: 1N2W
Lovely room (horrible room until I figured it out ;) )
Thanks, this is the room I worried most about.

RE: 3W

RE: 3N3W
Depending how quickly the player springs into action, some may appreciate a checkpoint in here...
:-O I knew I'd leave out something, I'll be sure to add one in a future release.

RE: 1S1W

RE:1S4W
I'm not sure what you mean by this?

1N2E - Beautifully kinetic :)
Isn't it? :D

[Edited by Tscott on 08-27-2003 at 06:43 PM]

[Edited by Tscott on 08-27-2003 at 06:45 PM]

08-27-2003 at 06:42 PM
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
Tscott wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by this?
An example of fine tuning roach movement to make something a little easier rather than more difficult.
08-27-2003 at 08:35 PM
Tscott
icon Re: Re: Re: New Hold: Happy House (0)  
StuartK wrote:
An example of fine tuning roach movement to make something a little easier rather than more difficult.
Oops.

08-27-2003 at 09:41 PM
Tscott
I just added a (final?) update for this hold. Not too much has changed, so there's not too much reason to replay (except for the fun factor of course. :D )

3N3W Added checkpoints as needed

1S4W Removed the 'trivial' solution. I was trying to be more tricky (read: evil) in this room.

And I added 2 room demos that will play from the DROD menu. The first is 2W played the "easy" way. The second is 2W played the "hard" way (keeping all queens spawning until the last brain is killed). Be warned the second demo clocks in at over 12 mins if you choose to sit and watch it all.

09-28-2003 at 10:58 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
I finally played through this entire hold (the earlier version I didn't play through for some reason), so here are my thoughts now.

1W: It took me a while to get into the swing of things for this room. I kept dying until I finally just took it easy.

1N 1W: A very nice "one trick pony."

2N 1W: Annoyingly enough, I left one queen at the top, so I had to go through the entire process twice. I should have just started over. I assume if you put a brain in here the queens wouldn't cooperate?

1N 2W: Yes, I actually went through and hit the orb under the tar on the right of the screen. It took forever to get the serpents and the tar mother synchronized. I haven't tried any other way yet...

1S 2W: This one is pretty evil, although only if you make mistakes easily like me. However,

2W: Not that hard, unless you have bad spawn timing like me and keep starting over until you get it right... :evilmad:

3W: Well, the goblins only killed me once before I figured it out, I guess I should be somewhat proud of that...

1S 3W: I didn't find this room too difficult...most sections only took me two tries except for the one just before the last one, which took me a few more.

2N 3W: Stupid yellow orb...grumble, grumble...

1N 2E: Yes, very pretty.

Very fun, now to try the Impossible Cubes!

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer on 09-30-2003 at 05:34 PM GMT: Forgot 1N 2W]

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-30-2003 at 05:33 PM
Tscott
Oneiromancer wrote:
2N 1W: Annoyingly enough, I left one queen at the top, so I had to go through the entire process twice. I should have just started over.
Yeah. This one can get very messy if the queens split up.

1N 2W: Yes, I actually went through and hit the orb under the tar on the right of the screen. It took forever to get the serpents and the tar mother synchronized. I haven't tried any other way yet...

1S 2W: This one is pretty evil, although only if you make mistakes easily like me. However,

Very fun, now to try the Impossible Cubes!

Game on,
I hope you enjoy it too. Impossible Cubes was my first attempt at a hold, so I hope you're not too let down when you come accross its simpler verson of the 'whirlwind' room.:)

09-30-2003 at 08:49 PM
leroy00
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 155
Erm, what's this mean? "New" as in: new going from 1.5 to 1.6? I'm sure this isn't a current issue for you guys, but as I'm on level 23 in Dugan's, I've just started looking for player holds.

leroy

Tscott wrote:
Oh, and a minor note, there is one room that is a little tougher now than I had originally made it because of the new roach queen rules- but it's still solveable.

10-29-2003 at 01:37 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
leroy00 wrote:
Erm, what's this mean? "New" as in: new going from 1.5 to 1.6? I'm sure this isn't a current issue for you guys, but as I'm on level 23 in Dugan's, I've just started looking for player holds.

leroy

Please answer below the quotes, not above them - that's the convention here. It took me a long, long time to figure out what you were actually talking about.

But yes, roach queen behavior was changed from 1.5 to 1.6; the eggs take one turn longer to mature now. This has only a very minor effect on Dugan's Dungeon (one or two rooms become a bit easier), but some player holds were more affected because they relied on the timing more precisely than Dugan's does.

10-29-2003 at 02:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tscott
I've attached at the top of the thread a corrected version of this hold that is no longer affected by the end hold stairs bug. This version should end properly now. Sorry for any inconvenance.

If possible, could an admin update the file in the corresponding hold thread with this one? Thanks.

01-18-2004 at 03:59 PM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
Within the next week (hopefully) I'll have code in place that will allow you to update it. It's a bit of a pain for any admin to do it right now, as we'd have to go into the database and manually change some stuff around. I'm probably the only one who knows exactly what would need to be changed around, as I haven't told anyone. :)

01-18-2004 at 04:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : New Hold: Happy House
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com