Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Alcohol, Drugs and The Eighth (Any canonical information?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
goldenlion
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 199
IP: Logged
icon Alcohol, Drugs and The Eighth (+1)  
I'm currently delayed in the Kansas City International airport, so I thought I'd engage in a little speculation.

So, I was looking through the Reference section on drod.net recently, and disoovered that there was no information regarding beverages of any kind (there is a Food section, though.) So, I was wondering:

1. First of all, is there any canonical information regarding beverages of any kind, alcohol, or any other 'recreational' substance?

2. If not, then why not speculate a bit?

To me, it would seem that The Eighth, being an agriculturally-oriented world (per Food section of Reference on drod.net), would at least be familiar with various forms of fermentation, and discovered beer or wine-type substances. I'm thinking that there might be some recreational plants out there in the agricultural world of the Eighth, as well.

Not only that, but since there's enough of advanced chemistry in The Eighth to be able to produce mimic, decoy, and invisibility potions, there's definitely advanced production ability in The Eighth. (Or just The Empire, perhaps.)

I don't want to get too far into "non-family-oriented" territory, since DROD is in general a clean game, but I'm just curious if there's any sort of official position on these types of things in the canon.

In case you're wondering why I was thinking about this, I'm writing stuff for Goblin Talk and was thinking about writing in a possible alcohol-related reference, but decided against it since I don't see anything related to that in the canon.

So, any thoughts?

01-19-2007 at 08:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: Alcohol, Drugs and The Eighth (0)  
Well, I may have a few beers whilst trying to optimise that 600 move room for the 3rd hour in a row. Guess that means Beethro is drinking by proxy. Whether or not he knows it, by the 7th hour on that same room, his skills become somewhat non-existant.
01-19-2007 at 08:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
There was a bit in a couple of the level descriptors for KDD wherein Beethro has a 3 liter cup and a 5 liter cup but only wants to drink 4 liters of (some sort of juice).

01-19-2007 at 09:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: Alcohol, Drugs and The Eighth (+1)  
Leaf juice it was.

But he didn't have any, since he couldn't be bothered to figure it out.
01-19-2007 at 10:06 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
icon Re: Alcohol, Drugs and The Eighth (+2)  
All I know is there are drinks strong enough to make you see people that don't exist, and even convince everyone else they are real too.

01-19-2007 at 10:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
BeefontheBone
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 184
icon Re: Alcohol, Drugs and The Eighth (+2)  
If everyone looks like Beethro, there must be some sort of inebriating substance out there - otherwise everyone'd die out since there'd be no begattin' goin on...

01-19-2007 at 10:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
Yeah! I can't believe you guys are forgetting the leaf juice! (Yes, I see it did get mentioned above.) That's been in there all the way since the beginning with KDD.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 01-20-2007 05:50 AM]
01-20-2007 at 05:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
mrimer wrote:
Yeah! I can't believe you guys are forgetting the leaf juice! (Yes, I see it did get mentioned above.) That's been in there all the way since the beginning with KDD.
Ah! so it IS drug. I just thought it was some harmless juice.

Mimic potions however...
01-20-2007 at 05:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
NiroZ wrote:
mrimer wrote:
Wha? It is just harmless juice. :unsure

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
01-20-2007 at 06:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Oh, again Maurog? I am kinda disappointed that you have missed quite a few of my quote rainbows over the last couple of weeks or so.
mrimer wrote:
NiroZ wrote:
mrimer wrote:
Wha? It is just harmless juice. :unsure
Why else would you be expecting a leaf juice mention in this thread?
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-30-2007 04:51 PM]
01-20-2007 at 08:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
stigant wrote:
There was a bit in a couple of the level descriptors for KDD wherein Beethro has a 3 liter cup and a 5 liter cup but only wants to drink 4 liters of (some sort of juice).
Somehow, I really can't recommend doing that sort of thing in a dungeon - or is Beethro lugging around a portaloo? :huh

(Don't tell me that's why yellow doors are, well, yellow... *ick*)

np: Coldcut - Mr Nichols (ft. Saul Williams) (Sound Mirrors)

01-20-2007 at 10:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Alcohol, Drugs and The Eighth (Any canonical information?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com