Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Removing some Lost #1s
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1309
IP: Logged
icon Removing some Lost #1s (0)  
When I look at my Lost #1s page, I get a lot of entries. However, I also know that some of them are physically unbeatable (let's not ask why I was meandering throughout the hold first time, let's just know that I was the first with uploaded demos and they weren't optimal). So, is there any way to get such demos not to show up on the list, a stain against my beautiful record of maybe owning a #1 or two?
01-08-2007 at 02:47 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
icon Re: Removing some Lost #1s (+1)  
I'm not sure if this will solve your problem, but if you tie the score, it disappears from the list.

01-08-2007 at 03:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Removing some Lost #1s (0)  
coppro wrote:
When I look at my Lost #1s page, I get a lot of entries. However, I also know that some of them are physically unbeatable (let's not ask why I was meandering throughout the hold first time, let's just know that I was the first with uploaded demos and they weren't optimal). So, is there any way to get such demos not to show up on the list, a stain against my beautiful record of maybe owning a #1 or two?

I'm not sure I understand this - are you asking that lost #1 scores will only be listed if they are beaten by a score that is itself beatable (and thus your original score reclaimable?)

If so, you'd need to give the high score list some way of determining whether a particular score is beatable or not. I hope it's clear why that's not actually possible.

01-09-2007 at 02:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
schep
Rank Points: 865
I assumed coppro was asking more for some status he could set on his own view of Used-To-Bes, dividing them into "Dismissed" and "To Be Dealt With".

Then again, "staining the record" does sound more like concern over other people looking at the list. In which case, uh,... chill out?

01-09-2007 at 02:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
coppro wrote:
I'm with you on this one. I spent a quite a while a few weeks back trying to regain some of my number #1s. In the process, I encountered some lost #1s which just aren't beatable (because I have no idea how they started from *that* entrance for example), or not beatable because I simply know I don't have the patience to leave *that* room unsolved til way way later in the hold when it's completable in a faster time...

Tying for #1 does get rid of them, but I think this may promote extensive copying just to see that annoying room still appear at the top of the list all the time. Of course, in a 6K+ room, this may prove tedious ;)

All in all, I think it would be nice to have a flag perhaps which could send these to the bottom of the list (sql union style). Eventually, they could make it back round I guess, but by that time they really ought to be tackled ;)
01-09-2007 at 03:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Syntax wrote:
All in all, I think it would be nice to have a flag perhaps which could send these to the bottom of the list (sql union style). Eventually, they could make it back round I guess, but by that time they really ought to be tackled ;)
Or better yet, have a choice to flag a beaten highscore as 'Procrastinate' 'Give Up' 'Already Perfectly Optimised'.

It would be really interesting to look at the stats for those after a couple of months.
01-09-2007 at 03:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
This would be very useful. I have heaps of lost #1s I'd like to flag as "Impossible to beat", "Given up", "Don't care" or "Got butt kicked. Gracefully admitting defeat, however many moves are still in it".

If not this, how about at least an "export my lost #1s" link?
Syntax wrote:
Tying for #1 does get rid of them, but I think this may promote extensive copying just to see that annoying room still appear at the top of the list all the time. Of course, in a 6K+ room, this may prove tedious ;)
Yes, I don't like that tying gets rid of it. It probably promotes demo copying. After all, if you lose a #1 and tie it, it's still lost. You haven't reclaimed it yet.
01-09-2007 at 04:22 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
How about a separate "retied" section towards the end of the list?

The major benefit from losing tieds is that if you know it's unbeatable, you don't have to see it again. The major detraction is that if you don't know it's unbeatable, you won't see it to be sure, unless someone else does beat it.

I think the benefit outweighs the detraction for most players, and the detraction the benefit for most optimizers.

01-09-2007 at 05:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
michthro wrote:

I think this is the best solution - most of the code is probably already there, it won't require adding a database to store people's room flags, and it will let everyone maintain their own lists.

01-09-2007 at 06:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
eytanz wrote:
michthro wrote:

I think this is the best solution - most of the code is probably already there, it won't require adding a database to store people's room flags, and it will let everyone maintain their own lists.
I would have hoped it would just be an extra column. I dunno...

I can't see myself bothering to export into .csv, load, sort etc I just find it such a handy page to have that it would great to see a flagging feature added (even if it's just a "go away for now" button with the ability to clear all those somewhere).
01-09-2007 at 08:05 PM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5413
icon Re: Removing some Lost #1s (+1)  
Yeah, I like the flagging idea as well. I'll tentatively say that I'll probably add it at some point. Maybe. ;)

01-09-2007 at 08:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Syntax
Schik wrote:
Yeah, I like the flagging idea as well. I'll tentatively say that I'll probably add it at some point. Maybe. ;)
Twice as good as pretty much done :) Cheers!
01-09-2007 at 08:14 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2486
icon Re: Removing some Lost #1s (+2)  
I have 1634 beaten #1s. I don't think I want to go through and categorise them all.

Although....

It would be good if you could flag them in-game. And if there was a flag for "I don't think this score can be beaten". And you could find out when you are wrong. "Rooms that you thought were optimal but actually aren't"

Actually, why restrict that to beaten #1s? Even if I never had a #1 for a given room, a flag to let me know I've already spent some time trying unsuccessfully to beat the current best would be good.

You could even have tallies of what people think - "3 delvers believe this room is optimised." Maybe scoreboards of how good people are at knowing if a room is optimised? (Although it really only makes sense to say how often people are wrong, which might be a bit of a downer)

[/train of thought]
01-10-2007 at 06:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rabscuttle wrote:
I have 1634 beaten #1s. I don't think I want to go through and categorise them all.
I have a large amount too, but rather than categorise them all, I'd use the flags to stop the same ones appearing at the top of my list. This can get annoying when you're going through trying to regain lost #1s.
01-10-2007 at 02:52 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Removing some Lost #1s
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No