Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Virus Problem!!!!!
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
noman
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 104
IP: Logged
icon Virus Problem!!!!! (0)  
i have a huge problem with a worm in the internet!!! Today i got 12mails, 12 of them are from this worm. It's annoying.

Can anyone help me?

->noman

[Edited by noman on 08-20-2003 at 06:44 PM]

08-20-2003 at 07:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Virus Problem!!!!! (0)  
Well, as long as you don't open the attachments, you should be fine. This recent worm pretends it is from someone you know, so you might not be infected yourself. If you think you are, and don't have an antivirus program, here is a free one: http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-20-2003 at 07:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
noman
That's not the problem. But every 15min norton AV opens and says "Virus detected" And every 15min all other fullscreen programms crash. That's annoying.

->noman

08-20-2003 at 07:52 PM
Oneiromancer
Well, I don't know if I know anything else that might help you. You probably know as much about viruses as I do. Hopefully someone else has an idea.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-20-2003 at 08:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Re: Virus Problem!!!!! (0)  
noman wrote:
That's not the problem. But every 15min norton AV opens and says "Virus detected" And every 15min all other fullscreen programms crash. That's annoying.
I got infected with similar symptoms and I think maybe I am okay now after running 3 different anti-virus programs and blocking my RPC port. This virus (and several variants, I guess) is hitting a lot of systems and you don't need to open an e-mail attachment to receive it. You probably want to read this and see if it applies to you:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/blast.asp

There are really two problems to fix: clean up your system and then seal up the hole.

-Erik

08-20-2003 at 09:08 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Hmmm...I guess I thought that if he was receiving e-mails it was the SoBig worm, not the MSBlaster worm. The MSBlaster worm is the one that comes in through the unsecure ports and makes your computer restart continuously. It can be removed via a virus program, but the hole can only be patched by Windows Update. The SoBig virus, on the other hand, is spread via e-mail, and appears to be one of those that infiltrates your address book and spreads itself that way. The MSBlaster spreads through network connections.

Several computers in my lab (not mine) got infected by the MSBlaster worm, and my fiancee received lots of e-mails with the other virus (which doesn't mean you are infected, just someone with your e-mail address in their book did), so I know about these two recent ones.

To sum up: it sounds like the SoBig virus, which just needs a good virus program to remove. Sometimes with a new virus, you need to download a special virus update from your company's website so that the program can remove the worm, instead of waiting for the weekly update or whatever.

Edit: okay, I see it depends on which version of Windows you are running. If you are running Windows XP, it will tell you it's going to reboot, but in Windows 2000, it might cause crashing. Sorry. What version of Windows are you using, noman?

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer on 08-20-2003 at 09:56 PM]

08-20-2003 at 09:42 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Re: Virus Problem!!!!! (0)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
Hmmm...I guess I thought that if he was receiving e-mails it was the SoBig worm, not the MSBlaster worm.
I guess in my head I was lumping them all together as "variants" which isn't correct at all. Yeah, I spoke hastily. Reading more about SoBig, it actually sounds like somebody else was infected and sending e-mails to me. Coincidentally, (?) I had an entirely different virus on my system while receiving all the "Wicked screensaver" and "Re: Your info" e-mails that Sobig generates.

Something did screw me over pretty good, and it sorta looked like Blaster but I'm not sure. It had half a dozen instances of SVCHOST.EXE running which is not normal for my computer. After running a slew of virus removers and security updates, my services are all screwed up, but I don't see anything that looks like virus activity.

:(

-Erik

08-20-2003 at 11:13 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
noman
Everything's ok now. No more emails today!!

But my Graphics card broke down today. It' kinda funny running a AthlonXP2200 with a 2mb Matrox Mystique instead of a geforce 4 now. Well it works not bad. Can't run the high resolution but 1152x864 works great. :glasses

But i can't play SERiOUS SAM anymore :~)

->noman

08-21-2003 at 10:48 AM
Oneiromancer
For some reason I've never been able to play Serious Sam. Even with a new computer, and a new GeForce 2, it would always freeze on the intro movie, even though the exact same copy worked for my friend. Morrowind ran fine with the same set up, but not Serious Sam. Which is too bad, since it always seemed like I would like it because it is so similar to the original Doom.

Game on,

08-21-2003 at 04:57 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Virus Problem!!!!!
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com