Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Seventh Level : Entrance (Oops. Accidently skipped)
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
noma
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1594
IP: Logged
icon Journey to Rooted Hold : Seventh Level : Entrance (0)  
So, I'm currently entering level ten and just found out (from the restore menu) that I've skipped level seven. I think I know how it happened. Once I completed level six, I found a secret room. From there there were stairs -- which I took -- and those took me to level eight.

What do I do now? I've tried backtracking to level nine entrance but there are no stairs to take back to level eight. Do I have to restore to the last room in six? If I do that will I lose everything I've completed on level eight and nine, or after finishing level seven can I just restore back to the end of level nine?

Please help. Thanks.
12-03-2006 at 01:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Seventh Level : Entrance (+1)  
If you are just interested in completing the hold, you can just continue without beating level 7.

If you are interested in mastering the hold (i.e. completing the hold and beating all the secrets), it is not necessary to complete the levels in order. In other words, you can restore to complete level 7 at any point, and then restore back to level 10 (or wherever you left off) and continue there.

12-03-2006 at 01:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Seventh Level : Entrance (0)  
Thanks. That did it. I was afraid that if I restored to an earlier level or room I would lose all my progress.

Much appreciated.
12-03-2006 at 02:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
noma wrote:
Thanks. That did it. I was afraid that if I restored to an earlier level or room I would lose all my progress.
Well, you lose the progress within the current game you're playing, but the game still remembers all secret rooms you've ever beaten.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
12-04-2006 at 10:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
mrimer wrote:
noma wrote:
Well, you lose the progress within the current game you're playing, but the game still remembers all secret rooms you've ever beaten.
Thanks for the reply but I'm not sure I understand. I only have the one game going... I think.

I did restore to the last room I had been in on level six (Secret stairs), finished the level, proceeded to and completed Level Seven. Then in that Exit room - after stepping on the "X" -- I went to my restore screen and returned to the room I had been in on Level 10 before realizing my mistake. I am now on Level 12 and my Restore Game screen shows all levels prior to that as complete even though I did not redo Levels Eight and Nine.

Am I missing something?

12-05-2006 at 12:18 AM
schep
Rank Points: 865
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Seventh Level : Entrance (+1)  
noma wrote:
I did restore to the last room I had been in on level six (Secret stairs), finished the level, proceeded to and completed Level Seven. Then in that Exit room - after stepping on the "X" -- I went to my restore screen and returned to the room I had been in on Level 10 before realizing my mistake. I am now on Level 12 and my Restore Game screen shows all levels prior to that as complete even though I did not redo Levels Eight and Nine.
This will be fine. If there were a staircase from level 13 to level 7, you would find the rooms still unsolved, since when you restored to level 10 you loaded a game in which part of 6 and all of 7 were never visited. But there isn't such a staircase (at least not onto levels 6 or 7).

There are four things to consider about completing rooms:
* To drop a blue door, you must complete all required rooms in a level without restoring to a point where a solved room was unsolved. In certain sneaky levels of some holds it's not possible to do this without leaving the level and coming back from another entrance.
* To "conquer" a hold, you only need to find your way to the (or a) final staircase. Doesn't matter if you skip some parts or restore a lot, just get to the end.
* To "master" a hold, you must conquer it and complete all the hold's secret rooms. You can restore backward as much as you like to find and/or revisit secret rooms.
* To have the most fun, and best high score stats if you care about that, you want to visit and try out as much as possible. Sounds like that's what you're doing. :)

Using restore only has bad effects with respect to the first of those. And like I said, what you described won't give you that sort of problem.

[Last edited by schep at 12-05-2006 01:37 AM]
12-05-2006 at 01:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
schep wrote:
There are four things to consider about completing rooms:
* To drop a blue door, you must complete all required rooms in a level without restoring to a point where a solved room was unsolved. In certain sneaky levels of some holds it's not possible to do this without leaving the level and coming back from another entrance.
* To "conquer" a hold, you only need to find your way to the (or a) final staircase. Doesn't matter if you skip some parts or restore a lot, just get to the end.
* To "master" a hold, you must conquer it and complete all the hold's secret rooms. You can restore backward as much as you like to find and/or revisit secret rooms.
* To have the most fun, and best high score stats if you care about that, you want to visit and try out as much as possible. Sounds like that's what you're doing. :)

Using restore only has bad effects with respect to the first of those. And like I said, what you described won't give you that sort of problem.

Thanks for the clarification Schep!
12-05-2006 at 02:11 AM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Seventh Level : Entrance (Oops. Accidently skipped)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com