Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Can anyone give advice? ((Why is nothing ever straightforward?!!))
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Elfstone
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1285
IP: Logged
icon Can anyone give advice? (0)  
I have just spent a couple of hours trying to set up broadband, and guess what? - it won't work. :angry I've made 3 calls to the help line, and while the 3 people I have spoken to have been patient and pleasant, I'm no further forward. So I'm wondering if any of the computer-clever people here can offer any suggestions?

Briefly, I followed all the instructions on the CD to the letter and all seemed to go well - all the little lights on the box did what they were supposed to do and all the connections seemed to be made and the install software eventually said that it had been successfuly configured. Clicking on close was supposed to connect me to the net, but I got a network error: "can't connect to host".

The first comment from the tech person was that he was getting "very strange values" on my line(?). After some discussion about where I had put the 3 filters (where I was told - one on each phone in the house) it was suggesteed that I had too many filters, so I took one away.

Next I was told that the router box had to plug into the main phone box along at the other end of the hall, not the extension here in the study, but that would be ok because it's a wireless router. So I plugged the router into the main phone box and restarted the configuration procedure as directed, but the software cannot find the router now.

Then finally I was told I would have to move my computer, lock stock and barrel, out of the study and along the hall to try it there!!! That is going to be such a hassle! :~(

The tech line closed at 8.00pm so I can get no further help from them until tomorrow morning anyway, so before I start dismantling everything, can any of you suggest what I might do to make this right?

Elfstone

12-01-2006 at 08:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: Can anyone give advice? (0)  
Elfstone wrote:
I have just spent a couple of hours trying to set up broadband, and guess what? - it won't work. :angry I've made 3 calls to the help line, and while the 3 people I have spoken to have been patient and pleasant, I'm no further forward. So I'm wondering if any of the computer-clever people here can offer any suggestions?

Briefly, I followed all the instructions on the CD to the letter and all seemed to go well - all the little lights on the box did what they were supposed to do and all the connections seemed to be made and the install software eventually said that it had been successfuly configured. Clicking on close was supposed to connect me to the net, but I got a network error: "can't connect to host".

The first comment from the tech person was that he was getting "very strange values" on my line(?). After some discussion about where I had put the 3 filters (where I was told - one on each phone in the house) it was suggesteed that I had too many filters, so I took one away.

Next I was told that the router box had to plug into the main phone box along at the other end of the hall, not the extension here in the study, but that would be ok because it's a wireless router. So I plugged the router into the main phone box and restarted the configuration procedure as directed, but the software cannot find the router now.

Then finally I was told I would have to move my computer, lock stock and barrel, out of the study and along the hall to try it there!!! That is going to be such a hassle! :~(

The tech line closed at 8.00pm so I can get no further help from them until tomorrow morning anyway, so before I start dismantling everything, can any of you suggest what I might do to make this right?

Elfstone

It might help to describe the various pieces of equipment you have in place at the moment.

It sounds like you have a DSL line with a wireless router connected to the DSL modem. Right so far?

So the next question would be about your computer. Desktop? Running...is it an Apple or a PC (I think I recall that you use an Apple, but can't be sure)? How are you connecting it to your wireless router? Does it have built-in wireless access (not a lot of desktop machines do, but most laptops do these days).

What you're essentially doing is checking each piece of the connection. If the DSL modem is looking good, then you want to see if your computer can talk to the router...then it should be easy to check from there whether the router is talking to the DSL modem, and on out the lines.

Of course, I may have misunderstood your layout, in which case this advice is only useful in the most general sense.

Josh

12-01-2006 at 09:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
jbluestein wrote:
It might help to describe the various pieces of equipment you have in place at the moment.

It sounds like you have a DSL line with a wireless router connected to the DSL modem. Right so far?

So the next question would be about your computer. Desktop? Running...is it an Apple or a PC (I think I recall that you use an Apple, but can't be sure)? How are you connecting it to your wireless router? Does it have built-in wireless access (not a lot of desktop machines do, but most laptops do these days).

What you're essentially doing is checking each piece of the connection. If the DSL modem is looking good, then you want to see if your computer can talk to the router...then it should be easy to check from there whether the router is talking to the DSL modem, and on out the lines.

Of course, I may have misunderstood your layout, in which case this advice is only useful in the most general sense.

Josh

Josh, my thanks for such a quick reply and apologies for not stating all the info you've just sensibly asked for. I was a bit frazzled :w00t . One pot of soothing Darjeeling later . . .

I have an iMac G5 with OS 10.4
My new ISP have sent me a Speedtouch 585v6
Somewhere in the process of installing, it said for first time installation to use the ethernet cable provided, so I did: one end into the speedtouch box and the other into the back of my iMac.

I'm not sure what you mean by " DSL line with a wireless router connected to the DSL modem." so forgive me if I'm not answering properly; I have a normal BT landline and up till now have had an apple modem, plugged into the back of the computer and into the phone socket on the wall. The new black box has a cable which is plugged into the phone socket.(well not right now, because I had to plug the apple modem back in to connect by dial up)

"Does it have built-in wireless access" pass ? how would I find out?

Elf.

12-01-2006 at 09:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
icon Re: Can anyone give advice? (+1)  
Elfstone wrote:
I have an iMac G5 with OS 10.4
My new ISP have sent me a Speedtouch 585v6
Somewhere in the process of installing, it said for first time installation to use the ethernet cable provided, so I did: one end into the speedtouch box and the other into the back of my iMac.

OK. When you did this, I assume that there was some configuration step for the Speedtouch? Where you were able to connect to it, presumably using a web browser, and enter configuration information, right?

I'm not sure what you mean by " DSL line with a wireless router connected to the DSL modem." so forgive me if I'm not answering properly; I have a normal BT landline and up till now have had an apple modem, plugged into the back of the computer and into the phone socket on the wall. The new black box has a cable which is plugged into the phone socket.(well not right now, because I had to plug the apple modem back in to connect by dial up)

"Does it have built-in wireless access" pass ? how would I find out?

The fact that you have to put filters on your phone jacks suggested DSL to me, and a quick peek at the specs for the Speedtouch 585v6 confirms this: The Speedtouch is a DSL modem. Your original mail said that the tech said your Speedtouch was a wireless router. But really, as long as you're connected via an ethernet cable it doesn't matter whether it's got wireless support or not. I recommend getting the wired version working before you try the wireless stuff anyway.

So...assuming that you can connect to the Speedtoch from your computer, you ought to be able to look at its settings. Usually, there are two choices when setting something like this up. Either the company setting up the connection for you will give you a set of numbers that you need to enter into the modem (your Speedtouch), or they'll tell you to set it up to download its configuration over the network. If it's the former for you, then you just want to make sure all your settings are correct. If the latter, you ought to be able to look at the settings the DSL modem has and see whether it has actually done anything. I don't know anything about the Speedtouch interface, so I can't offer too much advice on that, but it ought to be relatively easy to find a page with address, router, DNS information on it. The actual values probably don't matter as much as whether they're set to anything at all...again assuming that your modem is configured to boot off of the network. (Although they'll matter eventually, but not necessarily for this step.)

If the modem is talking to the network outside, and you are talking to the modem, then things ought to work, I would think. At this point you start to run up against the limits of my expertise with this technology, though. (I know enough to do some damage, but not enough to fix anything. :))

Hopefully, this will be enough to get you pointed in the right direction...please post back and let us know how it went. With more information, we might be able to go farther.

Problem is that my experience is that DSL switches (on the company's side) can be very moody, and even if you do everything right at this point you still may not be able to get fully connected without intervention from the company. But that's a few steps away at the moment, I think.

Good luck!
Josh

12-01-2006 at 09:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Thanks again Josh. :)

"Your original mail said that the tech said your Speedtouch was a wireless router." Yes - sorry! the ISP said they were sending me a router and I really don't know what the difference between a router and a modem is.

"OK. When you did this, I assume that there was some configuration step for the Speedtouch? Where you were able to connect to it, presumably using a web browser, and enter configuration information, right?" yes and that all seemed quite easy. The tech person talked me through all that again and I'd got it all right.

"but it ought to be relatively easy to find a page with address, router, DNS information on it. " I'll try to find that.

It's late; it's Friday night; it's the end of the working week; I'm tired and frustrated by this. I had hoped that by now I would be downloading big files like they were going out of fashion!! I'll have one more go at getting it to work tonight, which of course means I'll have to unplug the dial up modem. :(

Elf.

12-01-2006 at 10:19 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Just quickly... You cannot have too many filters on your phone sockets, nor can do you need any on more than the one you're connecting on.

Speedtouch to me sounds like the modem (it's what I'm running unfortunately). They run on usb (rectangular type plug) and all the processing is done by the PC itself so you may get disconnects unless the router does its job.

Anyways... It seems to me Windows isn't happy about... Oh.. it's a mac. Hmmm...

Who is your provider? and also find out how far you are "from the nearest exchange". Another useful trick is to call BT and get them to increase the "gain" on your line. It takes about 10 mins once they start their diagnostics but reduces line noise so you get slightly faster connections.

Also, any error number when you try and connect would be useful... 691 for example means incorect username or password. 720 means can't connect to server. 751 means you have to move to Spain ;)
12-02-2006 at 11:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
Thanks Syntax!

I've had a busy morning so I'm just getting back to this. I don't remember a number error appearing - just a message saying that my host couldn't be found.

I confess that by the time I disconnected from here last night, I was thoroughly disenchanted with the whole thing, but I will have another go at sorting things after lunch.

This confuses me even further (I can hear you thinking, "is that possible"!? :P )

"Speedtouch to me sounds like the modem (it's what I'm running unfortunately). They run on usb (rectangular type plug) and all the processing is done by the PC itself so you may get disconnects unless the router does its job. "

It sounds as if both you and Josh are speaking of two seperate items - modem and router. If this speedtouch - the black box with the wee lights on it that I've just received - is the router, then do I need another item - the modem - as well? The new ISP only sent the speedtouch.

If it is wireless, and that is what I asked for and the box has a wee aerial on it, then why does it need to be connected to my computer at all?

Elf(puzzled)stone

12-02-2006 at 01:02 PM
Syntax
The wee black box sounds very much like a Speedtouch 330. Is that the only kit (object) you got?

[EDIT]

Don't worry about wireless for now... in fact, you probably won't need it. The idea is to plug the speedtouch box with lights into a USB on your PC and also into a microfilter on the other end. The installation is about installing the cd whilst it's plugged into the PC but *not* the filter. Im sure Macs can fetch the right drivers nowadays anyhows so that install may be redundant.

[EDIT]

Wireless just means once its plugged in (!) :) you can connect wirelessly to it. So you could use a laptp upstairs, say, and still have internet from the wireless router downstairs. Setting this up can wait tho.

[Last edited by Syntax at 12-02-2006 01:13 PM]
12-02-2006 at 01:08 PM
Elfstone
Syntax wrote:
The wee black box sounds very much like a Speedtouch 330. Is that the only kit (object) you got?

It's a Speedtouch 585v6 (it says) and it's the only thing they sent me. I have the original apple modem of course - that's what I {have been/am at the moment} using but I shouldn't need to use that with the new box, . . . .should I ? :unsure

Elf.

12-02-2006 at 01:13 PM
Syntax
The apple modem won't work. The speedtouch could work though... Have you plugged it in the mac and filter?

[EDIT]
looks like they sent you a modem/router in one. A modem is the thing that actually communicates with other modems, or internet. The router is something allowing you to have a private network or connect wirelessly.

[Last edited by Syntax at 12-02-2006 01:17 PM]
12-02-2006 at 01:15 PM
Elfstone
Syntax wrote:
The apple modem won't work. The speedtouch could work though... Have you plugged it in the mac and filter?

I did yesterday; I had to unplug it a little while ago to put the dial up cable back in to the phone socket.

[EDIT]
looks like they sent you a modem/router in one. A modem is the thing that actually communicates with other modems, or internet. The router is something allowing you to have a private network or connect wirelessly.
Aha that makes sense. So this new box doesn't need to be connected to my computer to work? So when I tried the system out with the black box plugged in to the main phone box at the other end of the hall last night, and it didn't work, that tells me that . . . the aerial on the box is faulty? or something in my computer isn't reading what the aerial sends? or . . . . . . ? maybe I'm in over my head here. :weep

Elf.

12-02-2006 at 01:26 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Do not be alarmed, Elfstone, for networks are capricious things that hate freedom and candy and everything that makes the world a joyful place to live.

At work, I've been having virtual computers (basically like a real, separate computer running in a window) decide spontaneously that they can't find the network that they're hardwired into; at the same time I having real-world machines stop talking to the main server but not to the virtual computers (the kicker being that the virtual computers were running on the main server, so these real-world computers couldn't talk to the main computer but had no troubles at all with talking to everything on it).

12-02-2006 at 01:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
Mattcrampy wrote:
Do not be alarmed, Elfstone, for networks are capricious things that hate freedom and candy and everything that makes the world a joyful place to live.

At work, I've been having virtual computers (basically like a real, separate computer running in a window) decide spontaneously that they can't find the network that they're hardwired into; at the same time I having real-world machines stop talking to the main server but not to the virtual computers (the kicker being that the virtual computers were running on the main server, so these real-world computers couldn't talk to the main computer but had no troubles at all with talking to everything on it).

:D :D :D

I think then that if I had your job I would have to lie down in a darkened room quite frequently! :~(

This is all very frustrating though - I thought it would be a 10 minute job and I would be flying through the ether, metaphorically speaking.

12-02-2006 at 01:42 PM
Syntax
Have you got a XP box or only the mac?
12-02-2006 at 01:59 PM
Elfstone
Syntax wrote:
Have you got a XP box or only the mac?

just the iMac G5 OS 10.4

12-02-2006 at 02:15 PM
Syntax
What are the 2 lights saying... if they're both flashing red you'll need to phone BT...
12-02-2006 at 02:51 PM
Elfstone
Chapter . . .? what chapter am I on in this saga??? :?

I've just spent the last hour on this problem. I did dismantle everything and took it all along the hall and set the computer on a chair and got out the wee garden table for the keyboard and . . . you get the general idea I'm sure!

No joy :angry I still got the network error message. So I phoned the help line again and spoke to a fourth person. 20 minutes later, after various tests and attempts to discover and rectify supposed causes of my difficulties, and I have to say much confused muttering at the other end of the phoneline, the tech guy discovered that BT have made yet another mistake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blowup

They have forgotten to switch something on so that something works (sorry - that's about my level of technical understanding!) so that my messges get sent to the new ISP. This was all supposed to be fixed and working by the 23rd Nov.! Now I will have to wait until Monday at least! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

So there is no problem with the wee black box, and my line is probably ok, and I haven't done anything stupid, all of which is a great relief.

Can I say thanks again to those who have tried to help me through this. The unfailing kindness of people on this site is heartwarming. :)

Elfstone

12-02-2006 at 04:01 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Elfstone wrote:
20 minutes later, after various tests and attempts to discover and rectify supposed causes of my difficulties, and I have to say much confused muttering at the other end of the phoneline, the tech guy discovered that BT have made yet another mistake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blowup
Ouch. :(

Anyway, according to this page you should be able to get a connection by plugging the modem into the filter/phone socket and either connecting your PC directly via a (Ethernet) network cable or via a WLAN (wireless) adapter, so it should mostly "just work" after BT sort themselves out...

np: Yppah - Almost In That Category (You Are Beautiful At All Times)

12-02-2006 at 05:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
Briareos wrote:Ouch. :(

Anyway, according to this page you should be able to get a connection by plugging the modem into the filter/phone socket and either connecting your PC directly via a (Ethernet) network cable or via a WLAN (wireless) adapter, so it should mostly "just work" after BT sort themselves out.../quote]

Thanks Briareos. I'm just greatly relieved that the problem isn't with my computer (or me!!). I will wait now until Monday to let BT do whatever it is they have to and see how things go from there.

Elf.

12-02-2006 at 05:50 PM
jbluestein
Elfstone wrote:
Syntax wrote:

I did yesterday; I had to unplug it a little while ago to put the dial up cable back in to the phone socket.

[EDIT]

Aha that makes sense. So this new box doesn't need to be connected to my computer to work? So when I tried the system out with the black box plugged in to the main phone box at the other end of the hall last night, and it didn't work, that tells me that . . . the aerial on the box is faulty? or something in my computer isn't reading what the aerial sends? or . . . . . . ? maybe I'm in over my head here. :weep

Elf.

Just to be clear on one point: The new box will still need to be connected to your computer in some fashion -- because it's a router/hub it is actually an independent device and doesn't need your computer in order to function, but if you want your computer to be able to use the network you need some sort of connection. This could be via wire (as you've been doing it) or via wireless if you have that option.

I have a wireless network in my home, which allows my wife's laptop, our two TiVos, and any friends who bring their computers over to use our network...but my two desktop computers are connected to my router by wire, because, given a choice and a stationary machine, wired connectivity is more reliable and faster. But wireless is very convenient...

Anyway, I see that your phone company has messed things up so hopefully once they get it together all will be well. I just thought I'd clarify the above to prevent any future misunderstandings (hope I actually clarified...).

Josh

[Last edited by jbluestein at 12-02-2006 06:03 PM]
12-02-2006 at 06:02 PM
Elfstone
Yes that was very helpful Josh. (This is really a voyage into unknown waters for me.)

Does that mean that, if the exrtention phone line into my study is a problem, (even when BT have sorted out their mistake), that I cant have the router stationed permanently in the hall, with the computer here in the study? I though that was one of the benefits of wireless?

Elf.

12-02-2006 at 06:37 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Elfstone wrote:
Does that mean that, if the exrtention phone line into my study is a problem, (even when BT have sorted out their mistake), that I cant have the router stationed permanently in the hall, with the computer here in the study? I though that was one of the benefits of wireless?
Well, as long as your computer has the hardware to make a wireless connection to the router it should work.

The problem is that wireless is about an order or two slower than an Ethernet cable connection, but if it's still faster than your broadband connection that doesn't really matter much - of course, if you want to copy lots of data from one computer to another it makes quite a difference.

On the other hand, walls or other massive objects between your computer and the router could be slowing things down further. Putting my wireless router on the (quite big) box of an application I no longer used made quite the difference, as before my 20" TFT monitor was in the antenna's way and degraded the connection considerably. Lifting it above the screen solved that problem... :D

np: Yppah - Cannot See Straight (You Are Beautiful At All Times)

12-02-2006 at 07:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
Elfstone wrote:
Does that mean that, if the extension phone line into my study is a problem, (even when BT have sorted out their mistake), that I cant have the router stationed permanently in the hall, with the computer here in the study? I though that was one of the benefits of wireless?
If the phone line is a problem, then all that means means is that you can't have the router in the study (i.e. the extension distorts the signal so much that the router can no longer make sense of it). If I read you correctly and you were going to put the router in the hall anyway, then the shape your extension line is in is irrelevant.

I don't know what the walls in your house are made of and how far the study is from the hall, but a wireless connection between the two boxes should usually work. Of course your computer will need a transmitter/receiver for the relevant radio waves. Some (more recent) imacs have one of them built in. I don't know how to find out whether yours does, but for what it's worth, Apple calls the technology "Airport". Otherwise you can get something to plug into a free usb port starting around 10-15£.

The alternative is to run a network cable between router and computer. This may not be particularly practical depending on how far your study is from the hall, but as jbluestein says it tends to be more reliable and faster. Certainly the method of choice if you do end up with both boxes in the same room.
12-02-2006 at 07:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Hey Elfstone --

Did BT get it together? Are you high-speed now?

12-05-2006 at 02:42 PM
Elfstone
jbluestein wrote:
Hey Elfstone --

Did BT get it together? Are you high-speed now?

Thanks for asking :) , but not yet :~(

The intention was to work on it last night, but a mini crisis over my French visitors (supposed to be arriving tomorrow and now not arriving tomorrow:angry ) intruded and the night disappeared.

I'm going to have another go at it now to see if BT have sorted out their problem, in which case it should work, and if not I phone the ISP and get them to jump up and down on BT. :bounce

Elf

12-05-2006 at 06:35 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Can anyone give advice? ((Why is nothing ever straightforward?!!))
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com