Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Another silly question (which has probably been answered a 1000 times before *sigh*)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
baba44713
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 14
IP: Logged
icon Another silly question (0)  
Hi. Me again.

I'm currently at level 20 of Architects Edition and am seriously thinking about investing in JtTRH. This game is the most fun I've had since Head over Heels.

But I'm dumbfounded with the mention of Drod:King Dugan's Dungeon. What is it exactly? Is it he free Architect's Edition I'm currently playing or something else entirely? Does it ship with the Journey? What is the meaning of Life, Universe and Everything?

Thanks in advance for your answers on all those questions. Cheers! -_-
11-19-2006 at 05:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
schep
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 865
icon Re: Another silly question (0)  
King Dugan's Dungeon is the name of the hold you've been playing which comes with DROD: Architect's Edition. It's possible to import the free KDD into the JtRH game, but I'm not sure your progress would translate. (Can't remember, did Caravel release a hold file with hold ID matching the AE database?)

There's also King Dugan's Dungeon 2.0, which would cost a bit of additional money. It has the same puzzles as KDD, plus extra character dialogue and secret rooms.
11-19-2006 at 05:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
icon Re: Another silly question (+2)  
To be more explicit:

DROD: King Dugan's Dungeon is, like Journey to Rooted Hold, based on the version 2.0 engine and contains the same new game elements, graphics, music, editor, can play the same user levels, etc. However the one difference is that instead of coming with the JtRH levels, it comes with the 2.0 version of KDD. So the puzzles are the same as in Architect's Edition, but as Schep said, there are added secret rooms, voice acting, and a different ending.

I recommend buying JtRH if you've played AE. You can then purchase the KDD 2.0 *hold* for $9 (ie just the level file) to play in JtRH if you want to see how it's been changed. I suggest this way because if you buy DROD:KDD then the only way to get the levels of JtRH is to buy the complete program, which will be another $20.

I keep meaning to write a sort of guide to the versions of DROD/SmS/CaravelNet things to help newbies. It is confusing, but I hope this clarified things rather than confusing them further...

"Oook!"
11-19-2006 at 05:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Timo006
Rank Points: 518
Also, after you conquered KDD on AE, it is possible to:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Timo006 at 11-19-2006 06:38 PM]
11-19-2006 at 06:38 PM
baba44713
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 14
Thanks, I've found the KDD demo. Curiously enough, it is not located at Drod downloads section, but rather on the main Caravel site. Not too intuitive.

While I like the new feel, I don't think I am up to repeating ALL the levels I passed in the last few days just for a few secrets. Added speech lines are nice though. Still, the idea of doing some levels again gives me quite nasty shivers...

11-20-2006 at 10:04 AM
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
You might be surprised how easy you find those levels the second time through.

Steve.
11-20-2006 at 10:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
And if you get a Caravel subscription you can compete for high scores, and watch people's demos ingame. You can learn a lot doing this...
11-20-2006 at 12:24 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Another silly question (which has probably been answered a 1000 times before *sigh*)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com