Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Brain on Snake (An AE bug)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
IP: Logged

File: Brain on Snake.hold (772 bytes)
Downloaded 51 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Brain on Snake (+2)  
Yeah, you heard me right! I put a brain, on a snake! Here's the story:

So, I was putting down a snake, and I found that I made one without a head or tail! It doesn't move, it doesn't count as a monster, it's just, well, there. You can bump into it like a wall, and yet you can place objects on them.

Curious, I placed a brain on it, and I was stunned. It was just weird. Then I playtested the room, killed the brain and AE crashed.

Feel free to mess around with it in the editor, and I just wanted to report what happened.

Keep posting,

[Last edited by UrAvgAzn at 11-03-2006 10:01 PM]
11-03-2006 at 08:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jason
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1076
icon Re: Brain on Snake (0)  
Just my thoughts:

Isn't part of the point of JtRH and in the future TCB to fix bugs like this? Unless this is still a bug in 2.0.15, I don't think there is much point in posting bugs from AE. Or if this is just to alk about it, maybe it could be posted in the Architecture Forum. :)

:blush

EDIT: Forget about what I just said. I just tried the hold and that is odd. Could you make it anyone edit so I could look at the room in the editor? Thanks!

EDIT2: This is offtopic but this is interesting! A crossed out smily! He he he

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :| :? :? :-O O:- O:- :fun :thumbsup :thumbsup :yes :closedeyes :unsure :weep :blush :tumbleweed:

[Last edited by Jason at 11-03-2006 09:02 PM]
11-03-2006 at 08:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Whoops. Thought it was anyone edit. Sorry. I updated the file.

Keep posting,

11-03-2006 at 10:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
This might be that bug, Mike. Look at that hold!
11-04-2006 at 12:55 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
In the editor, try copying and pasting the snake.. err... thingy. It copies and pastes into a brain. This is a huge bug, there are so many things you can do to it.

Keep posting,

11-04-2006 at 02:08 AM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
You know, there's an alternative to exploiting a bug in the editor and making DROD crash. You could perhaps NOT exploit a bug in the ditor and therefore NOT make DROD crash.

You also may or may not be aware that in JtRH you cannot copy-and-paste snakes.

[Last edited by Kevin_P86 at 11-04-2006 02:25 AM]
11-04-2006 at 02:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
I think that there is a bit of a misunderstanding here. The caravel team is committed to updating DROD AE in the case that any bugs are found.
11-04-2006 at 02:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
I am not suggesting it is not a bug. I am suggesting it is not exactly mission critical, or even as important as it is being made to sound. It doesn't affect gameplay in the least, and you have to go out of your way to exploit it. If such a thing happens, you can either delete the partial snake, or (if it doesn't let you), delete the room and try again, avoiding doing whatever it is you did to make the partial snake.

11-04-2006 at 02:47 AM
NiroZ
Kevin_P86 wrote:
I am not suggesting it is not a bug. I am suggesting it is not exactly mission critical, or even as important as it is being made to sound. [/snip]
Just because a bug isn't 'Mission Critical' doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed.
11-04-2006 at 02:50 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
11-04-2006 at 05:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
icon Re: Brain on Snake (+1)  
Like I said - I'm not suggesting it's not a bug, and I'm not even suggesting that it should not be fixed. My comment was directed at this:
UrAvgAzn wrote:
This is a huge bug, there are so many things you can do to it.
I really would call it quite the opposite of a huge bug. I apologize for saying anything.

11-04-2006 at 06:06 AM
Banjooie
I'd say it's a pretty huge bug. It's not especially important, but crying security through obscurity is not a particularly pleasant course.
11-04-2006 at 06:16 AM
Kevin_P86
I can understand how the program crashing is generally the result of a rather large bug. However, the only reason I don't think this is particularily important is because really all that's happening is it's letting you put invalid data into a .hold file, and it is this invalid data that causes the crash (much like the fairly recent report of tail-less snakes). As long as you realize that there is a problem with the snake, you can avoid playing that room until it has been corrected (either by deleting the partial snake, or deleting and re-creating the room if necessary).

But considering we both agree it should be fixed, it doesn't really matter how its importance is labelled.

[Last edited by Kevin_P86 at 11-04-2006 06:44 AM]
11-04-2006 at 06:41 AM
Banjooie
---alright, if a program is letting you put invalid data in that causes a crash, I don't understand how you consider that not an important bug.
11-04-2006 at 08:13 AM
Kevin_P86
I consider it not important because it's entirely avoidable. As opposed to, for example, a bug that causes the game to crash when you move from one room to the next.

11-04-2006 at 08:33 AM
NiroZ
Kevin_P86 wrote:
I consider it not important because it's entirely avoidable. As opposed to, for example, a bug that causes the game to crash when you move from one room to the next.

Lets say that this snake is placed all around the enterance to the room. Then, they put brains on top of the snakes. Now, the chances are people will get a nasty surprise when they enter the room.
11-04-2006 at 08:51 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
So, to recap:

Thus bug is quite big, rather important, avoidable, trivial, non-mission-ciritical and fixed.

Right?
11-04-2006 at 11:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Syntax wrote:
So, to recap:

Thus bug is quite big, rather important, avoidable, trivial, non-mission-ciritical and fixed.

Right?

You forgot huge. :D

Oh, and its not fixed I don't think.
11-04-2006 at 12:36 PM
UrAvgAzn
Kevin_P86 wrote:

The point is, it shouldn't happen in the first place.

Keep posting,

11-04-2006 at 12:40 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
UrAvgAzn wrote:
Yeah, you heard me right! I put a brain, on a snake! Here's the story:

So, I was putting down a snake, and I found that I made one without a head or tail! It doesn't move, it doesn't count as a monster, it's just, well, there. You can bump into it like a wall, and yet you can place objects on them.

Curious, I placed a brain on it, and I was stunned. It was just weird. Then I playtested the room, killed the brain and AE crashed.

Feel free to mess around with it in the editor, and I just wanted to report what happened.
Thanks for reporting this. Sure, I'll fix bugs in AE as time permits. First, I'm going to ask for some more information: would you post the exact steps to make a head-/tailless serpent and then put a brain on it? (It might be here already, but I missed it in all the vaudeville.) Also, would you check whether this works with other monsters besides brains? Thanks.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 11-04-2006 03:30 PM]
11-04-2006 at 03:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Here are my experimenting notes:

-using DROD: AE 1.6.7
-can only place brains anywhere on snake
-don't know how it happened
-wraithwings cannot fly over the snake body
-turn on the sound; you may hear beeping
-snake can be placed on colored doors
-number of times DROD crashed while I was testing this: 82

More notes later.

Keep posting,

11-04-2006 at 03:56 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Banjooie wrote:
crying security through obscurity is not a particularly pleasant course.
FAQ:
Be warned: DROD.net's security policy consists somewhat of "who's going to hack US?",
I'm just sayin'.

11-04-2006 at 05:10 PM
Timo006
Rank Points: 518
If you use the hold in JtRH, you can also place monsters on it. It doesn't give a beep sound and DROD won't crash. However you can't place obstacles on it.

11-04-2006 at 05:44 PM
coppro
This is what I suspected. Somehow, the T-Layer objects of a snake's body are there, but the snake is not. So, the fix is to make it so that a disconnected serpent body is removed. I think. Fixing the bug would be useful, but in the meanwhile...
11-04-2006 at 05:54 PM
Timo006
Rank Points: 518
Just that you know, I tested it again, and I saw that if you hold your sword on the "serpent"'s body, the brain will always die, it doesn't matter if the brain is on another square.

EDIT: another thing, if DROD crashes (in AE) and you start it again, you will automatically be in another hold.

EDIT AGAIN: 1) If you place a brain on another spot the other brain will be deleted. (this only works for the first brain you place by yourself)
2) To place something on the snake's body, you have to delete the brain and place your thing on exactly the same square.

EDIT: the snake's body isn't considered a monster but an obstacle, and if you delete the body, the brain will be deleted too.

[Last edited by Timo006 at 11-04-2006 06:27 PM]
11-04-2006 at 05:59 PM
Banjooie
Jatopian wrote:
FAQ:
Be warned: DROD.net's security policy consists somewhat of "who's going to hack US?",
I'm just sayin'.
Hey, that's seriously all up in the outdated. :(

[Last edited by Banjooie at 11-04-2006 10:30 PM]
11-04-2006 at 10:30 PM
Pilchard VIII
Rank Points: 392
You think this could point some clues towards that bug similar to this in JtRH while doing KPVIIID3?

11-05-2006 at 11:30 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
Well, it makes DROD crash, so I don't think you'd want to include that in your CLOD.

11-05-2006 at 01:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Mike, might this be that snake clipping bug remanifesting itself?
01-11-2007 at 12:50 AM
Chard
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 26
icon Re: Brain on Snake (+2)  
As the summer DROD season begins
...you will have the opportunity to see the blockbusters
...holds will have
...huge roach hoards
...swashbuckling goblins
...elaborate trap door puzzles
...incredible efficiency
...and animated adventures.

But there one thing we guarantee they won't have:
snakes... on a brain.

01-11-2007 at 03:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Brain on Snake (An AE bug)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com