Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : My Singing (or more appropriate for the situation, My Squawking)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
IP: Logged
icon My Singing (0)  
I'm singing a few songs from DROD, but with lyrics. Yes I know I'm late for the Songs of the Eighth Contest (specifically 2 years and 5 months late). If anyone wonders why I'm doing this now, it's because I just got my microphone working :) So get some earplugs ready ;) (don't worry, its not that bad)

Keep posting,

[Last edited by UrAvgAzn at 10-25-2006 01:43 AM]
10-25-2006 at 01:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn

File: whistler.ogg (3.1 MB)
Downloaded 68 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: My Singing (+4)  
Okay, my first song! Its the Whistler from Caravel DROD with Erik's lyrics from this song. Erik, if you don't want me to use your lyrics, I can remove this file. Note that this is only the first part of the song (up to use that ugly head, live instead). I'll have all of the song posted later on (if Erik allows). Please post some comments on my singing!

Keep posting,

10-25-2006 at 01:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: My Singing (0)  
Caravel DROD was completely open-source, so you should be fine.
10-25-2006 at 01:41 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I can't say it's strikingly terrible, but you get really quiet at some parts, and really loud at other ones. Also, I--well, if I ever wondered how old you were before. That is gone now.
10-25-2006 at 05:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
I think I have to agree with Banjooie...
Although I can add, that I don't think I wold be able to sing better (Well, when on Tennis Camp I was the major singer, but)... And besides my accent... Which probably is terrinle ;).

10-25-2006 at 06:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
UrAvgAzn wrote:
Okay, my first song! Its the Whistler from Caravel DROD with Erik's lyrics from this song. Erik, if you don't want me to use your lyrics, I can remove this file. Note that this is only the first part of the song (up to use that ugly head, live instead). I'll have all of the song posted later on (if Erik allows). Please post some comments on my singing!

I would happily do that, but your file is 3.1MB !! :w00t With 56K dial up it will take me about a week and a half to download that! (allowing for slight exaggeration) Can you make your file smaller?

Elfstone.

10-25-2006 at 07:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453
Nice UrAvgAzn! But you do sound a lot like Jason... :P
10-26-2006 at 09:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
icon Re: My Singing (+1)  
Elfstone wrote:
I would happily do that, but your file is 3.1MB !! :w00t With 56K dial up it will take me about a week and a half to download that! (allowing for slight exaggeration) Can you make your file smaller?

My best shot at compression the file only reduced the file by roughly 12.75%, going from 3.1 MB to 2.7 MB. I doubt that's any confort to you, especially as the format I used is fairly uncommon (read, you'd probably need to download another program for the decompression part).

If anybody wants to try and improve on my results, I've used p7zip; zip does a mere 2%, with gzip and bunzip falling around the 5%-7% mark. I would be pleasantly surprised if it were possible to do much better on an .ogg file.

Alneyan of the Wasteful computer.
10-26-2006 at 09:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
Alneyan wrote:
[My best shot at compression the file only reduced the file by roughly 12.75%, going from 3.1 MB to 2.7 MB. I doubt that's any confort to you, especially as the format I used is fairly uncommon (read, you'd probably need to download another program for the decompression part).

If anybody wants to try and improve on my results, I've used p7zip; zip does a mere 2%, with gzip and bunzip falling around the 5%-7% mark. I would be pleasantly surprised if it were possible to do much better on an .ogg file.

Alneyan of the Wasteful computer.

Thanks for trying Alneyan - kind of you :)

Elf.

10-26-2006 at 10:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
However, there is only singing in the first about 1/3 of it. So it would be possible to exclude the last 2/3 of the file, immediately reducing it to around 1 MB (if that's any better).

10-27-2006 at 12:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Kevin_P86 wrote:
However, there is only singing in the first about 1/3 of it. So it would be possible to exclude the last 2/3 of the file, immediately reducing it to around 1 MB (if that's any better).

Thanks Kevin - that would definitely help! Can you do that or should I ask UrAvgAzn?

Elfstone.

10-27-2006 at 10:21 AM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
I'll try!

10-27-2006 at 10:26 AM
Jason

File: whistler.ogg.zip (798.2 KB)
Downloaded 32 times.
icon Re: My Singing (+2)  
Here is a version with all of the singing and hardly any of the music (stuff without singing in it) and it is 800 KB. If you want more music, I can try again but the file will bee much bigger.

10-27-2006 at 10:39 AM
Elfstone
Jason wrote:
Here is a version with all of the singing and hardly any of the music (stuff without singing in it) and it is 800 KB. If you want more music, I can try again but the file will bee much bigger.

Many thanks Jason - that only took five and a half minutes to download - a big improvement on what the original file would have taken.
(Have another mod point!) :)

Elfstone.

10-27-2006 at 04:46 PM
Elfstone
icon Re: My Singing (+3)  
Sorry for the delay in getting back to this - I've been distracted by the severe weather and the damage and problems it has caused.

You asked for comments on your singing. :)

Have you had any help with singing technique? It's brave of you to put forward a recording like this; so many people are very shy/nervous/diffident about singing 'in public'. Someone commented above that you 'went quiet' in places and I would agree, but more specifically I think the balance in the recording is not doing you any favours. That is, the balance between your voice and the accompaniment. We need more of you and less of it.

In anything sung, diction is very important and although yours was quite good I couldn't make out all of the words and so I am left wondering what the song is about. Singers need to constantly shape the words so that they come across to the audience very clearly.

I have the impression that you were "singing to the mic" which is a problem with young, inexperienced singers ("singing to the book" is the same thing). What I mean in simple terms is that you are not projecting your voice. What you must do is ignore the mic altogether and sing to some real or imaginary point around 20 feet away from you. Think about making your voice travel that far and pretend that the mic isn't there at all. Think about the sound you are making coming not out of your mouth or throat, but out of a spot just between and above you eyes. Think about your head being a resonating box, a bit like the body of a violin or guitar, and get it ringing!

The other things that singers need to think about all the time is 'supporting the voice'. Now that's all to do with breathing - using your intercostal muscles and your diaphragm to lift and sustain power to your voice. Were you sitting down when you recorded? You should always stand to sing, with your feet a little part, your back straight but relaxed and your weight evenly on both legs. I know that you will see opera singers on stage or TV sitting, lying, draped around pillars, being carried, pretending to die and in all manner of other odd positions, but remember that these people have had years of technical practice and can therefore cope with support and projection in those positions.

I realise I am trying to give you a singing lesson here and that doesn't really work on line!! :? You have good tone for a young voice and good pitch and those are the really important things - everything else can be learned and practised. So keep working on your singing; enjoy your treble voice - you won't have it for all that much longer. ;)

I hope this is helpful.

Elfstone :)

11-02-2006 at 10:17 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Awwwe :)

/me hugs Elfstone
11-03-2006 at 08:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
ErikH2000 wrote:
Not to put on some sappy display of geek chivalry for members of the opposite sex, but I think its great to have some ladies around. Is it my imagination, or do Techant, Elfstone, and Bunches civilize the place just a bit?

:)
11-03-2006 at 04:29 PM
Elfstone
Syntax wrote:
Awwwe :)

/me hugs Elfstone

Elf hugs back :blush :)

Blondbeard
quote: ErikH2000 wrote:
Not to put on some sappy display of geek chivalry for members of the opposite sex, but I think its great to have some ladies around. Is it my imagination, or do Techant, Elfstone, and Bunches civilize the place just a bit?

:)
Elf hugs Blondbeard too. :blush :)

Thanks guys, and incidentally I don't think there is anything wrong with, sappy about, or geeky involved in chivalry. I'm old enough (is it an age thing?) to enjoy a bit of chivalry and the exercising of social graces. :yes :thumbsup

Elfstone.

11-03-2006 at 05:22 PM
UrAvgAzn

File: whistler_full.ogg (3.1 MB)
Downloaded 34 times.
icon Re: My Singing (+2)  
Thank you for your tips, Elfstone! They helped. I'll try to use them in my next recording, but this one that I did was before you posted... Here's the full song, with a few mess-ups. I really stumbled at 'When you fall, it's not always so fair'. But, anyway, here's the song. Sorry Elfstone, I don't think I can make this filesize smaller... Maybe Jason can help again?

Keep posting,

11-12-2006 at 04:17 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
It's a huuuge lot better than the first time :thumbsup

Although I think it would be better if the music volume was a bit lower (at least for the first half of the song). I have to really try to hear the words that you sing, and your voice is a bit drowned in the music. On the really high toned parts I get the feeling that you are singing "from your chest". Your voice is less grounded than it is in the other parts. Try to picture the sound coming from your stomach when you sing those parts, it might help.

Well... Congratulations for having improved your recorded singing! Have a mod point :)

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 11-12-2006 04:38 PM]
11-12-2006 at 04:36 PM
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453
Good job UrAvgAzn! It is much better, and much better quality! Keep going!!! :D
11-12-2006 at 04:42 PM
Jason

File: whistler_modified.ogg.zip (1.4 MB)
Downloaded 22 times.
Here is a version that is 1.4 MB. It is again a bit shorter and a bit less music quality but faster to download!

11-12-2006 at 04:58 PM
UrAvgAzn

File: drod-awe.ogg (4 MB)
Downloaded 32 times.
I'm satisfied with the Whistler, so I'm moving onto the next song (as long as you guys don't mind). And the next song is the Deadly Rooms of Death Webfoot theme! I spent the 45ish minutes working on it, and I think it isn't that great. I'm just going to use this is a draft for the final version. I just hope RoboBob doesn't mind that I used his lyrics from Songs of the Eighth... Here it is!

Keep posting,

EDIT: Jason, really sorry for bothering you, but could you lessen the filesize a bit? If you don't mind. You really got to tell me how to do this...

[Last edited by UrAvgAzn at 11-15-2006 02:29 AM]
11-15-2006 at 02:28 AM
Elfstone
Jason wrote:
Here is a version that is 1.4 MB. It is again a bit shorter and a bit less music quality but faster to download!

Thanks again Jason, I modded you when I saw this but didn't have time to post - sorry that only took around 17 minutes to download!

I must do something about finding broadband ;)

UrAvgAzn - I'll get back to you on this one.

Elf.

11-15-2006 at 01:01 PM
Jason

File: drodawe_modified.ogg.zip (1.5 MB)
Downloaded 22 times.
Here is a version of the song that is 1.5 MB.

BTW UrAvgAzn: Where did you get your music? Here is a link to it here but the attachment doesn't work because it was to drod.net/something odd. Thanks!

11-15-2006 at 06:27 PM
UrAvgAzn
Thank you! Here is where I get my music and the lyrics are there as well.
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=3121

Keep posting,

11-16-2006 at 12:17 AM
Jason
But where is the music without words? I don't see it! I only see the version with words. Thanks.

EDIT: Got it here. Thanks!

[Last edited by Jason at 11-16-2006 04:41 PM]
11-16-2006 at 04:28 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
UrAvgAzn wrote:
RoboBob doesn't mind that I used his lyrics from Songs of the Eighth... Here it is!

Haha! Excellent! A better rendition than I could have ever managed, that's for sure!

11-18-2006 at 10:10 PM
UrAvgAzn
Thank you so much! Have a rank point on me. I'll have a better version coming out soon. :)

Keep posting,

11-18-2006 at 11:33 PM
Elfstone
My apologies UrAvGazn, I haven't had time to listen to the second version (from Jason). I'm afarid that with my assistant being absent from work, and the bridge now in the process of being re-built, and pressure to finish writing the next chapter of my novel and . . . you get the idea I'm sure.

To top it all, this is the middle weekend of the Autumn Internationals, so I spent a fair chunk of yesterday shouting at the TV as we beat the South Sea Islanders :thumbsup and I'm just about to go and watch Ireland thrashing the Springboks (I hope!!) :cool

Elfstone.

11-19-2006 at 02:08 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : My Singing (or more appropriate for the situation, My Squawking)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com