Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : I fought with the law... (And I think I'm going to win)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1723
IP: Logged
icon I fought with the law... (0)  
Right now, there's some stress going on in my life, because my landlord wants to boot me from my residence so they can renovate. They want me out November 1st. However! I found a law for NY that says since they notified me on Oct. 16th, they have to wait until Dec. 1st before I can officially be forced out.

This will probably *enrage* (synonym added for the young of age crowd) them off slightly. But I'm okay with that, because now I have an extra month to try to find a place for 2 weeks, instead of 2 weeks to try to find a place for 6 weeks.

They wanted to do this because they're going to renovate the building, which might suck, but they can't kick us out and that makes me very, very happy.

Had to get that off of my chest.

10-23-2006 at 10:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Bunches
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 192
icon Re: I fought with the law... (0)  
2 weeks to find a house? That's wrong.
10-23-2006 at 10:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: I fought with the law... (+1)  
Hey Zex, you're looking in NYC, right? If so, I can check if anyone I know wants to sublet for the first two weeks of Dec.

10-23-2006 at 11:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
I'm actually looking in upstate for December, but I am looking for a place in January (for at least a year-long lease.) If you could keep your eyes open, that would be great. 1 or 2 (or maybe even 3) people--there may be roommates. That'd be awesome, man.

10-23-2006 at 11:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krepnox
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 52
What are you looking for? I work with a number of co-op buildings. Most are in Riverdale, but some are in the West Village. If you and your roommates don't mind baring your lives to an intrusive, nosy co-op board, I could make a couple of calls.
Alternatively, a number of my clients own rental buildings in the South Bronx. The neighborhood may be life threatening, but the rent is cheap.
10-24-2006 at 06:40 AM
zex20913
What would co-op living (and this baring of the life) entail? I've got a misconception that all co-op people are hippie vegans.

Actually, the South Bronx place (though I know it's threatening) might be good, as we're all teaching there (or going to teach there). What areas are the buildings in?

10-24-2006 at 12:42 PM
krepnox
icon Re: I fought with the law... (+1)  
Those vegan hippies you are thinking about are the ones who care for some of the community gardens that sit on undeveloped real estate. Although they will fight to the death to prevent any sort of development that would threaten their gardens, they generally do not sit on the boards of the buildings where they live.

Co-op housing is one of those unique things that seems to exist only here in the NYC area. A co-op is sort of like a rental building - a corporation owns the building and you rent your apartment from them. The big difference is that the shares in the corporation that owns the building are owned by the people who live in the building. The shares attach to specific apartments so that, while you technically don't own your apartment, no one else is permitted to rent it. A rental building is generally managed by the landlord who owns it - a cheap, miserable, enemy of society who undoubtedly will be one of the first ones up against the wall come the revolution. Co-ops are managed by a group of tenants who are elected, by their neighbors, to the board of directors of the corporation that owns the building. Althought they quickly become intoxicated with their own power and self-importance, they will fight to the death to prevent any sort of development that would threaten their property values.

Anyway, sometimes one of the co-op apartment owners will vacate their apartment but, for whatever reasons, they decide not to sell it. In that case, they can sublet it. This is where you come in. The thing is that the the co-op board has a legitimate interest in making sure that you can pay the rent. (A co-op building is like a bunch of people splitting the check for a meal or splitting a bar tab. If one person doesn't pay, then everyone else has to come up with extra money.) As a minimum, you will be asked to prove your ability to pay. This usually involves filling out a financial disclosure form, producing your tax returns and pay stubs and a letter from your employer verifying your job and your salary. You will also be interviewed by the board, so that they can see that you are the kind of person they would like as a neighbor. However, since most co-op boards think of themselves as the lords of all they survey, the approval process is often more intrusive. You might be asked to provide access to your credit history. In some cases I have seen boards ask for access to medical records. Some boards ask for a handful of references, others ask for references from everyone you ever knew plus a letter from God. The interview can be open and friendly or it can resemble the Spanish Inquisition. And on top of that, some boards take their sweet time about the approval process.

Aren't you glad you asked?

On the rental side, I am limiting myself to clients who actually try to maintain their buildings properly. The buildings owned by those clients cluster around Third Avenue in the 170s.

How big an apartment are we talking about and how many people will be living there? Let me know and I will make some calls and see if any of the buildings I work with have any vacancies. Since I don't know you - except for the fact that your scores are better than mine and that you probably don't look like your avatar - those phone calls should be interesting.

[Last edited by krepnox at 10-24-2006 02:40 PM]
10-24-2006 at 02:39 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
Yeah, I understand in most states at least a 30-day notice is required when terminating a month-to-month lease.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-24-2006 at 06:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
krepnox wrote:
Co-op housing is one of those unique things that seems to exist only here in the NYC area.

I live in Victoria, BC, in a co-op.
10-25-2006 at 10:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krepnox
Banjooie wrote:
krepnox wrote:
Co-op housing is one of those unique things that seems to exist only here in the NYC area.
I live in Victoria, BC, in a co-op.
Sorry, meant the US.
Apartment buildings where people own their apartments are quite common in the US. In the NYC area, most of those buildings are co-ops. The last time I looked upwards of 95% of the residential co-ops in the US were located in the NYC area. In the rest of the country those buildings are almost always condominiums.

[Last edited by krepnox at 10-26-2006 02:00 PM]
10-26-2006 at 04:51 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
They sound like strata arrangements, a bit, which are quite common here.

But then, I'm probably wrong.

10-26-2006 at 07:41 AM
krepnox
Mattcrampy wrote:
They sound like strata arrangements, a bit, which are quite common here.
I don't know. What's a strata arrangement?

10-26-2006 at 01:54 PM
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
The same sort of thing as your co-op I think. Individual people hold rights to their particular units/apartments/whatever, and everything else is common property managed by the Body Corporate.

http://www.strataman.com.au/strata.html
10-28-2006 at 12:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : I fought with the law... (And I think I'm going to win)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com