Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Nicely done! (It's all about appreciation)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
IP: Logged
icon Nicely done! (+1)  
I guess this would be a caravel.net request. With the advent of the #1 score tracker, I've spent much time battling it out with various players claiming, reclaiming, and re-reclaiming my #1s. Interestingly, "Seasons" is probably the biggest battle-ground to date since JtRH due to the recent ease of tracking those lost scores. Whereas as claiming and reclaiming used to be done over a period of weeks, or months, it can now switch hands several times a day.

As I've been intensely battling away, I have seen some purely stunning examples of optimisation. Whether it be a pause at the right time, or a counter-intuitive assault on the impossible, I have frequently wanted to somehow let that player know of my awe. So far, this has been via PMs but...

My thought:

I think it would be great to be able to flag demos as "Genius" or similar in-game. Not a rating exactly, but rather like mod system as we have for posts on the forum. The exact specification would need to be thought about, but I figured I'd throw it out into the open. As I see it DROD is chess with fewer boundaries, and it would be nice that the odd Karpov knight counter-attack should be recognised when seen. Not every #1 is born equal...
10-17-2006 at 08:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
icon Re: Nicely done! (0)  
Agreed! That's a really neat idea. I definitely see places I could dole them out.

Would there be sort of a mod system though? Like, you can only rank for each first place (or first place tie) that you have?

Or would there be no way to give a "Bad" mod? I think this is better.

Also, is that you in your icon? I can't imagine who else it would be...

Do I ask too many questions? Survey says?

10-17-2006 at 08:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: Nicely done! (+1)  
Yeah, I don't think it should be about "rating" a demo, so no "bad demo" flag (besides, that would hardly make sense). I see it as a way of just rewarding greatness - just another stat I guess, but I frequently want to show my appreciation for good demos.

As for limiting it, I don't think this should be based on #1 count. After all, some of the best demos are not #1 - they're just brilliant. The limit should probably be set similarly to the forum rules: Start off with a fixed amount and get awarded more if people flag a demo of yours.

Oh, and yes, that would be me. Been resisting having an avatar for years but a girl friend of mine told me it was *sooo* last century, so figured I'd play along.

Oh... yeah... and yes, you don't. Ask too many questions that is. Though maybe you do. What was the question?
10-17-2006 at 08:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
I like this idea. I also think it should be possible to see which are the highest ranked demos in a given hold.
10-17-2006 at 11:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
I like it, it would be great to be able to have some way of saying "great demo" when someone finds a clever way to optimise a room.

The question is how complex and persistant do you want this system to go? I personally think a it should work as being able to apply a 'star'to a demo. Then, people could have a list of demoes that have been stared. Of course, multiple people could star a demo, which would evevate a demo to higher in that list.
10-18-2006 at 04:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Nicely done! (It's all about appreciation)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com