Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : How do dates and times work?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Scott
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 578
IP: Logged
icon How do dates and times work? (0)  
I posted a message in the bugs forum and then realised that I had made a typo so edited it. The time that it shows I posted was 2:02pm and the time I edited it was 4:02am GMT. The actual time where I live was 1:02pm so that time is out by 1 hour.

Link to the post is here

So how does the board determine the time that a post was made?
08-12-2003 at 04:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: How do dates and times work? (0)  
I told Schik before that the editing is always in GMT, but he said it wasn't worth changing it. As for the original hour difference, perhaps the board assumes Daylight Savings Time, which I think is in America only? Some boards ask you whether that should be considered or not, but this one doesn't.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-12-2003 at 04:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scott
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 578
icon Re: How do dates and times work? (0)  
Daylight savings is not specific to america its just that its winter here so not on daylight savings.
08-12-2003 at 04:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: Re: How do dates and times work? (0)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
I told Schik before that the editing is always in GMT, but he said it wasn't worth changing it.
If you're editing a post and enter an edit reason, it puts the GMT in there, but if you don't enter a reason, it doesn't. That should be easy enough to fix - what I didn't want to change was to make the edit time appear in everyone's local time.

As for the original hour difference, perhaps the board assumes Daylight Savings Time, which I think is in America only? Some boards ask you whether that should be considered or not, but this one doesn't.
Actually, if you look in your profile, there is an option for whether or not your local area uses Daylight Savings Time. Now that I look, it only shows up when you modify the profile, not just view it, but I assure you, it works. Or if it doesn't, let me know. :)

Back to the original question - hmmm... when does your DST start and end? Maybe my logic for detecting it was too USA-centric, I don't know...

08-12-2003 at 06:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Re: Re: How do dates and times work? (0)  
Schik wrote:
Actually, if you look in your profile, there is an option for whether or not your local area uses Daylight Savings Time. Now that I look, it only shows up when you modify the profile, not just view it, but I assure you, it works. Or if it doesn't, let me know. :)

Ah yes, I had it checked, but when I looked before it wasn't right next to the time zone so I missed it. Anyway, when you think about it, you have to ask the question, because even in the U.S. there are states like Arizona that don't follow DST, and there isn't an option to select that in the profile...

I actually didn't realize that other countries followed DST...I thought it was one of those stupid American things like not using the Metric system or something like that. But to be useful it should probably somehow account for different hemispheres. I would guess that most boards just tell their Southern hemisphere and non-DST members to just change their time zones when necessary to make the board times show up correctly.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-12-2003 at 04:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : How do dates and times work?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com