Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Question on *Buying* Drod
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Warmskin
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon Question on *Buying* Drod (0)  
Been playing the demo and it looks good (the first Drod - King Dugan). What I'd like to know is, after buying the full version, do I start right where I left off in the demo? I'm on the 3rd level and I don't really want to start over... thanks.

10-01-2006 at 02:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Question on *Buying* Drod (+1)  
Warmskin wrote:
Been playing the demo and it looks good (the first Drod - King Dugan). What I'd like to know is, after buying the full version, do I start right where I left off in the demo? I'm on the 3rd level and I don't really want to start over... thanks.

No, you do not have to start all over again. If you go into the player profile, you can export your player. Then, when you install the full version, import your player and it will pickup from the same spot.
10-01-2006 at 02:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
Warmskin wrote:
Hi! Yes, you may continue where you left off by doing the following:

In the DROD:KDD demo version, export your player profile to disk from the Change Player screen by clicking Export.

Then, in the full version of DROD:KDD, click Import and select the file you saved to disk to load your player progress.

Select the Restore Game screen and choose the final room in the 3rd level to continue from there.

(Just in case... Note that this won't work if you've just been playing the older version of King Dugan's Dungeon from DROD:Architects' Edition. It only works with King Dugan's Dungeon 2 featured in the 2.0 version of DROD: King Dugan's Dungeon.)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
10-01-2006 at 02:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Warmskin
icon Re: Question on *Buying* Drod (0)  
Thanks for the quick replies... Well, I d/ld the demo from *this* site (Caravel), but nowhere do I see a mention of version 2.0. Is that something different (I hope not)? Where in the demo can I see if it's 2.0? Thanks.

10-01-2006 at 03:18 AM
NiroZ
Warmskin wrote:
Thanks for the quick replies... Well, I d/ld the demo from *this* site (Caravel), but nowhere do I see a mention of version 2.0. Is that something different (I hope not)? Where in the demo can I see if it's 2.0? Thanks.
Well KDD 2.0 (King Dugan's Dungeon) is the revamped version of the very first DROD. If you downloaded the version here you have the KDD 2.0 demo.
10-01-2006 at 03:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Warmskin
Thanks.... Usually though, there is a place somewhere in the game that would tell you exactly what version you're running, so there's no confusion. Not in Drod?

10-01-2006 at 03:31 AM
NiroZ
Warmskin wrote:
Thanks.... Usually though, there is a place somewhere in the game that would tell you exactly what version you're running, so there's no confusion. Not in Drod?
Yeah, there is.

If you look up at the top right hand corner [of the title screen], you should see a set of numbers, most likey 2.0.14. that 2 means its the DROD engine 2.

(note that I'm not sure where the version number is on older versions)

[Last edited by mrimer at 10-01-2006 04:13 AM : clarified version location]
10-01-2006 at 03:40 AM
Warmskin
OK, great, I see it. Thanks. BTW, is Drod: JtRH any better? Or just different (rooms)? The demos look pretty similar as far as play mechanics, monsters, etc., but I didn't play JtRH much yet (at least not like KDD). Or do most people here just buy both. Thanks, again.

10-01-2006 at 04:26 AM
mrimer
Warmskin wrote:
OK, great, I see it. Thanks. BTW, is Drod: JtRH any better? Or just different (rooms)? The demos look pretty similar as far as play mechanics, monsters, etc., but I didn't play JtRH much yet (at least not like KDD). Or do most people here just buy both. Thanks, again.
Good question. KDD is the first game in the series and JtRH is the second. It picks up sometime after KDD ends (I won't add any spoilers here). Both games use the same game engine, so they have the same play mechanics and functionality in the level editor. JtRH has a more expansive story line and more new characters and game elements featured in the official levels, like Beethro's troublesome nephew, Halph. I'll leave it up to other people to give their impressions of both official dungeons (holds).

10-01-2006 at 04:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
chinook
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 61
King Dugan's Dungeon is the one you should probably play first, at least in terms of official releases. Well, from what I gather. I'm still plugging through it myself! :)

Apparently, JtRH is not quite as difficult, but has a few more features and gameplay mechanics.

But King Dugan's Dungeon is a great dungeon, and probably what a lot of us think of when we think "DROD." I'd go for that one first.

Also, the reason it is called 2.0 is because there is an older version, called the Architect's Edition, which is freeware. New features are added in the 2.0 engine, such as being able to hit backspace to undo a move. Perhaps Beethro learned a bit of precognition? Anyway, it certainly helps a lot, but might not be used by the vets. ("When I was your age, we died 500 times on the same tar mother and begged for more!")

10-01-2006 at 05:14 AM
Warmskin
OK, thanks for all the info, everyone. Appreciate it.

10-01-2006 at 05:55 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
chinook wrote:
Anyway, it certainly helps a lot, but might not be used by the vets. ("When I was your age, we died 500 times on the same tar mother and begged for more!")
I am a backspace addict, I shall admit; I even press it occasionally when making a mistake in level editing.

10-02-2006 at 01:18 PM
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
agaricus5 wrote:
chinook wrote:
Anyway, it certainly helps a lot, but might not be used by the vets. ("When I was your age, we died 500 times on the same tar mother and begged for more!")
I am a backspace addict, I shall admit; I even press it occasionally when making a mistake in level editing.

Does that WORK? Because if not I think we have ourselves a feature request....

10-02-2006 at 11:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Yeah, because we're too cool for ctrl + z
10-02-2006 at 11:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Or that big large 'Undo' button on the left of the editor screen...

[Last edited by Tim at 10-02-2006 11:55 PM]
10-02-2006 at 11:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
How have I--I honestly never--

when did they put that in
10-03-2006 at 12:00 AM
Beef Row
Oh, I know undo is in the editor, I just think being able to use the same control for undo in-game and in the editor would be nice. That and I didn't know it already had a keymapping, just knew about the button.
Still, if people are instinctively reaching for backspace for editor mistakes, that certainly means it'll be an intuitive way to do this ;)

10-03-2006 at 03:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
icon Re: Question on *Buying* Drod (+3)  
Beef Row wrote:
agaricus5 wrote:
chinook wrote:

Sure! I like thee feature requests that take only a minute to add. The Undo command key will now undo editor changes. Just for fun, the Wait command key will redo changes.

10-03-2006 at 05:01 AM
Beef Row
mrimer wrote:
Beef Row wrote:
agaricus5 wrote:
chinook wrote:

Sure! I like thee feature requests that take only a minute to add. The Undo command key will now undo editor changes. Just for fun, the Wait command key will redo changes.

Awesome! Anything to make the editor more friendly, and more ummm.. "keyboardable". Have mod points!

10-03-2006 at 05:04 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Beef Row wrote:
mrimer wrote:
Beef Row wrote:
agaricus5 wrote:
chinook wrote:

Awesome! Anything to make the editor more friendly, and more ummm.. "keyboardable". Have mod points!
Indeed, backspace undo will now become even more convenient; whoever first suggested it was a genius.

Thanks, Mike!

10-03-2006 at 08:57 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Oh thank heavens. The problem with "control-Z" has always been that I use Z and X as my sword keys; which means that undoing, in the editor, also rotates the cursor.
10-03-2006 at 01:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Rank Points: 468
agaricus5 wrote:
Beef Row wrote:
mrimer wrote:
Beef Row wrote:
agaricus5 wrote:
chinook wrote:

Indeed, backspace undo will now become even more convenient; whoever first suggested it was a genius.

Thanks, Mike!

Yay! This is awesome!
*Adds to list of things that will definetly be in 3.0*

10-10-2006 at 01:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Question on *Buying* Drod
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com