Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Wii Prices and Launch date (US $249.99!)
Page 3 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
IP: Logged
icon Re: Wii Prices and Launch date (0)  
Hikari wrote:
NiroZ wrote:
Can someone please tell me what is so exciting about a browser on a console?
'OMG You've gotta see this thing on YouTube!'
'Meh, I don't want to go stare at your computer screen.'
'OK, so I'll show you on the Wii!'

I admit its a nice gimmic, but I can't really see a console browser as a thing to get hyped about.
09-23-2006 at 07:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Well, wish me luck, I'm going out to see if I can preorder at EB. Today is the only day they are doing it, with limited quantities, hopefully an hour before opening is enough. Plus, I can pick Lemony Snicket's "The End" on the way home!

Hip-hip-hooray!
10-13-2006 at 02:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
An interesting tidbit:

The Mii feature, which is basically an avatar attached to a Wii remote, will crop up in third-party games.

You know all those fanboy demands about having a universal avatar you could use in any game? That's what Mii is. With luck, it'll be possible for third-parties to override the Mii graphics element-by-element so you'll have avatars that adapt themselves to the artstyle of the game.

10-13-2006 at 02:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
That leaves me wondering .. does all games that use the Mii* have to have roughly the same art style, if they want it to fit in ? Or can the Mii be morphed to fit whatever ?

~ Gerry

* M!!
10-13-2006 at 07:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
My friend at work and I decided that it wasn't really worth waiting in line for pre-order...considering the number of units shipping, we should be able to get a Wii at Target, Costco, etc., without too much trouble on launch day or soon after. I don't really need to have it immediately, and I am sure I will have it before the holidays, if there really are that many in production.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-13-2006 at 11:12 PM
Ezlo
icon Re: Wii Prices and Launch date (+1)  
Yeah, I was thinking of heading to K-mart on the 19th myself, but I figured I might as well try. So, I got there and I was about 15th in line, and they had thirty of them. I'm guaranteed one on launch unless a disaster happens.
10-14-2006 at 12:47 AM
Mattcrampy
I pre-ordered one a few weeks ago, but I'd be very surprised if there was a line or anything.

10-14-2006 at 12:52 PM
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
I stand absolutely no chance of getting the Wii on the release date. At the moment, I'm broke, and I'm saving up for Kingdom Hearts 2. Then I'm gonna sell the PS2 and everything to get the Wii and SUPER SMASH BRAWL!

10-14-2006 at 03:56 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Well, they're saying limited supply just about everywhere, so my plan is to phone in after school on Monday and if in the miraculous case that they still have them, rush over to order. Else, I'll just pick one up ASAP.
10-14-2006 at 05:10 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
I'm super tempted to get mine on the release date, as I'll know how many are available at our store before they get released. Either that, or I'll wait until the second shipment comes in.

10-14-2006 at 09:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Here's a neat little item that allows you to try your hand at making a Mii-ish looking thing

Clicky!
10-16-2006 at 07:03 PM
Mattcrampy
So. Zelda.

People's thoughts, now that the press have gotten hold of it and said that it's pretty much everything we've been told it'll be?

And how much difference do you think it'll make having Zelda at launch?

11-07-2006 at 05:41 AM
NiroZ
Mattcrampy wrote:
So. Zelda.

People's thoughts, now that the press have gotten hold of it and said that it's pretty much everything we've been told it'll be?

And how much difference do you think it'll make having Zelda at launch?

For me personally? I think I will shock everyone and say that I personally could never get into zelda. It just... never grabbed my fancy.

In other words, Zilch mate.
11-07-2006 at 05:50 AM
Ezlo
I think it sounds like OOT refined and expanded. Not that I don't like that, I've been waiting for one ever since I finished OOT.

I also think having a Zelda at launch, even a port of a gamecube Zelda, will certainly help Nintendo out. Most people seem to buy Nintendo systems just to play the Big Three Franchises, and Mario and Metroid aren't ready yet. If they didn't have Zelda, they would have any flagship title.
11-07-2006 at 01:10 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
Zelda as a launch title inspires more people to go out and purchase the system before the price drop. Thus, Nintendo makes more $.

11-07-2006 at 01:44 PM
coppro
There are people who wait for the price drop?
11-07-2006 at 05:27 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5064
coppro wrote:
If not, then what purpose is there in dropping the price?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
11-07-2006 at 05:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
mrimer wrote:
coppro wrote:
If not, then what purpose is there in dropping the price?

I always thought it was a way of making up for not having enough at launch.

Speaking of which, I'm probably going to go to one of those midnight thingies, if there is one where I live and if my parents let me.
11-07-2006 at 09:39 PM
zex20913
coppro wrote:

I always thought it was a way of making up for not having enough at launch.

That's the strategy of the PS3--which I'm somewhat surprised nobody has yet made a thread about. Although I'm not saddened by it either.

Speaking of which, I'm probably going to go to one of those midnight thingies, if there is one where I live and if my parents let me.

I'm going to (hopefully) be at one in full gear--Zelda shirt, makeshift shield, ready to hold the game over my head and go "Da da da daaaa". Oh yes. I'm that nerdy.

11-08-2006 at 12:20 AM
NiroZ
zex20913 wrote:
Oh yes. I'm that nerdy.

Ah, but are you white?

[Last edited by NiroZ at 11-08-2006 06:43 AM : 256, wahoo]
11-08-2006 at 12:25 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
zex20913 wrote:

I'm going to (hopefully) be at one in full gear--Zelda shirt, makeshift shield, ready to hold the game over my head and go "Da da da daaaa". Oh yes. I'm that nerdy.
Make sure you don't forget to make the game float in mid-air above your head while holding your arms upwards. That will definitely make it authentic (while earning you the admiration of Zelda players and physicists all over the world).

11-08-2006 at 12:42 AM
coppro
Yeah, well, you don't have THIS! err...

And I plan to hold the console high above my head after having battled my way through hordes of other nerds and then (badly) sing some Queen, for the puns.

[Last edited by coppro at 11-08-2006 01:09 AM]
11-08-2006 at 12:50 AM
Mattcrampy
Have an employee ask you to wave it around in the air to attract customers, okay?

Ah, that was my favourite part of Link to the Past.

It comes out here in December, so on the one hand everyone else iwll have played through Zelda by that point but on the other hand so will all the guide writers.

11-08-2006 at 07:49 AM
zex20913
I intend to BEAT the guide writers. Screw sanity and sleep for a week! One day of turkey (I'm American) and 6 days of wolf!

11-08-2006 at 01:33 PM
Fafnir
Rank Points: 315
From everything I've heard, Twilight Princess looks like it's going to be one of the greatest games in history, and I can't wait to get my hands on it. I fully intend to forgo sleep, food and/or basic hygiene in favour of getting that last heart container.

In that light, maybe it's a blessing in disguise that it's coming out December 8th over here (after university interviews). Just need to remember that. Blessing in disguise, blessing in disguise, blessing in disguise... :weep :weep :weep

11-12-2006 at 10:47 PM
Ezlo
Just want to let people know that TSA over at The Hylia is pretty much done with the game by now. Last time he reported he had finished
Click here to view the secret text
dungeons and was near the end.
11-12-2006 at 11:03 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Just you all wait until two weeks from now until I start working in electronics and I get the inside information from vendors. I've already got access to Sony's retail training website, which tells me absolutely nothing new, but actual vendor information will be great. :evil:

11-13-2006 at 04:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Rank Points: 392
So I heard that the Wii's coming out tomorrow in America. If it is, you're wel lucky. I have to wait til December 8th.

11-18-2006 at 02:25 PM
Ezlo
Yep, it is. I've got Zelda pre-ordered, and Red Steel and Super Monkey Ball are in my Gamefly queue.
11-18-2006 at 02:27 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1913
Pilchard VIII wrote:
So I heard that the Wii's coming out tomorrow in America. If it is, you're wel lucky. I have to wait til December 8th.

Yes, but the lines to get one are longer than infinity :lol

I hear people have actually waited in line a full week.

[Last edited by larrymurk at 11-18-2006 02:31 PM]
11-18-2006 at 02:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 3 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Wii Prices and Launch date (US $249.99!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com