Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : New Hold: Smallsome Swicks
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged

File: Smallsome Swicks.hold (9.6 KB)
Downloaded 115 times.
License: Other
icon New Hold: Smallsome Swicks (0)  
I needed to get my hands dirty and build a hold. So here are eleven rooms with puzzles, one room without much of anything, and one room containing a strange advertisement. Lots of invisibility potions and serpents. Not much hack-and-slash.

-Erik

[Edited by ErikH2000 on 08-04-2003 at 09:18 PM GMT: v2--one extra checkpoint and a fix to enforce a desired solution.]

[Edited by ErikH2000 on 08-05-2003 at 05:13 PM GMT: v3--Fixed 1n1w. Try it again!]

08-04-2003 at 07:49 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: New Hold: Smallsome Swicks (0)  
I work on the principle that if I can complete a hold, it's not difficult. This will make it difficult to beta-test my holds.

That said, I've completed one room, Once South Once West.

Click here to view the secret text

Wow, aren't I helpful?

Matt

08-04-2003 at 09:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: New Hold: Smallsome Swicks (0)  
Mattcrampy wrote:
That said, I've completed one room, Once South Once West.
Regarding what you said: Maybe the challenge of the two halves isn't equal. This room wasn't meant to be very hard, though.

-Erik

08-04-2003 at 09:21 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon v2 of Smallsome Swicks. (0)  
Ack, I realized that 1n1w had a way to bypass my intended solution. So for the proper brain pain, download v2 (top of thread).

-Erik

08-04-2003 at 09:24 PM
Scott
Rank Points: 578
I didn't see the first 1n1w but this second one seemed pretty easy. Still noit finished all the rooms. Half way there. I loved that goblin room heaps of fun.
08-05-2003 at 03:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
As you have designed it, I don't believe 1S is possible. Can you double-check it for us?

08-05-2003 at 03:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bibelot
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 322
Well, I finished it off, and I like most of it. My favorite room was 2S1E; I had just about thought it impossible, when suddenly it became obvious. 1S1E was also nice, but sort of silly.

1N1E I thought was too tedious, but none of the other rooms were that way, so it's probably okay.

In 1W I didn't see why there was so much space provided for the tar to grow into....

I also thought that 1S had a nice little twist, though it didn't really fit in with the rest of the level (nor did 1N, but whatever.)

Well, I've had my fill of invisibility and serpents for one day...
08-05-2003 at 04:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Never mind, I found the trick. Sneaky...

08-05-2003 at 04:24 AM
ErikH2000
bibelot wrote:
Well, I finished it off, and I like most of it. My favorite room was 2S1E; I had just about thought it impossible, when suddenly it became obvious.
That one I judged to be the hardest. From playing Ricky's Dungeon, I would guess you like really difficult rooms.
1N1E I thought was too tedious, but none of the other rooms were that way, so it's probably okay.
Hmm. You don't have a victory demo for that one, do you?
which makes me wonder what steps you might have taken.
In 1W I didn't see why there was so much space provided for the tar to grow into....
About that room...

-Erik

08-05-2003 at 04:39 AM
zex20913
My thoughts on this newly completed hold.

Overall: Good layout, interesting paths needing to be taken room to room.

Individual rooms:

Sorry if this isn't helpful, I chose to do reactions instead of ratings. I liked this level. Fun and challenging.

08-05-2003 at 05:03 AM
Scott
I think I have the solution to 2S1E but I can't get it to work.

Don't read this bit if you don't want to get spoiled.

As for 1W

08-05-2003 at 07:53 AM
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
ErikH2000 wrote:
I needed to get my hands dirty and build a hold. So here are eleven rooms with puzzles, one room without much of anything, and one room containing a strange advertisement. Lots of invisibility potions and serpents. Not much hack-and-slash.

-Erik

Cool hold, lots of subtle solutions (except for the goblin room which was... revealing about their behaviour) 1S had me stumped for a long time. All the rooms offered something interesting. I'm really going to have to hurry up with my own offering - some of my rooms looked quite similar to yours (I've a roach+invisibility puzzle, and an eye+invisibility puzzle - perhaps it's because these are the obvious puzzles for the new invisibility behaviours)

A mini-bug, perhaps. The stairs lead back to the start of the level, and do not complete the hold, at least in the initial version. I haven't played all the way through the revised version.
08-05-2003 at 03:54 PM
ErikH2000
Scott wrote:
I think I have the solution to 2S1E but I can't get it to work.
Yeah, you basically got it, but...

As for 1W
Okay, okay, my room is getting stomped on here! I really intended it to be harder. Could you post a victory demo so I can see what the circumvention is?

-Erik

08-05-2003 at 04:50 PM
ErikH2000
StuartK wrote:
The stairs lead back to the start of the level, and do not complete the hold, at least in the initial version. I haven't played all the way through the revised version.
No, that's probably still there. I may wait to revise my 1n1w room before putting up the fixed version.

-Erik

08-05-2003 at 04:52 PM
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: Re: New Hold: Smallsome Swicks (0)  
I wrote:
Okay, okay, my room is getting stomped on here! I really intended it to be harder. Could you post a victory demo so I can see what the circumvention is?
Never mind. I see it.

Well now, wait until you guys have to complete the room in its intended way!

-Erik

08-05-2003 at 04:57 PM
ErikH2000
icon v3 (0)  
I fixed 1n1w. It should be a *much* more difficult room. Please try it out.

-Erik

08-05-2003 at 05:14 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
zex20913 wrote:

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-05-2003 at 09:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
For Oneiro, and anyone else who wishes to see it:

[Edited by ErikH2000 on 08-06-2003 at 01:03 AM GMT: Fixed secret tag--sorry for the intrusion.]

08-05-2003 at 09:37 PM
Oneiromancer
Okay, I finally beat the level. Very intriguing. Here are my comments, if they are different from other people's.

I really liked these rooms, because for the most part, when I restarted it was because I realized I screwed something up instead of being surrounded or something like that. Pretty much no hack and slash, either, which is good when you are playing at work. :D

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-06-2003 at 12:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mister
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 104
zex20913, you opened a second secret tag instead of closing the first; this is messing up the topic.

Shouldn't this be caught and repaired automatically? *wink*wink*

Well, I just used two close secret tag and now it is somewhat better :)

[Edited by Mister on 08-06-2003 at 12:57 AM]

[Edited by ErikH2000 on 08-06-2003 at 04:14 PM GMT: Sorry, it was still screwy.]
08-06-2003 at 12:54 AM
ErikH2000
Oneiromancer wrote:
Okay, I finally beat the level. Very intriguing.
Glad you liked it!
Here are my comments, if they are different from other people's.
Heh. No man, they're still your comments, no matter what.
1N1W:
I really thought that one was going to be hard. Maybe I should have left in the red herrings.
1S1E:
Yep, that's how I intended it. You made it easier on yourself.
1W:
Okay, I must be missing another easy solution here. Got a victory demo?

EDIT: Ah, jeebus. Never mind--I see it. Stand by for v4.

-Erik

[Edited by ErikH2000 on 08-06-2003 at 01:24 AM GMT: Cause I'm dumb.]

08-06-2003 at 01:18 AM
Mattcrampy
I couldn't be arsed killing the last snake in 1W, but I was able to stop the tar at 3x3 easily (I say easily because I could manage it).

I'm sure you saw this coming, Erik - it's not like it was a hard concept. The last snake's the hard bit, but I reckon with some thought it won't be that bad.

Matt

08-06-2003 at 01:29 AM
Oneiromancer
icon Re: Re: Re: New Hold: Smallsome Swicks (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
Here are my comments, if they are different from other people's.
Heh. No man, they're still your comments, no matter what.

Actually, I meant I would only comment on a room if they were different than other people's comments...no sense in beating a dead horse, as they say. So, I wasn't having an inferiority complex or anything like that. :)

Game on,

08-06-2003 at 01:31 AM
ErikH2000
Mattcrampy wrote:
I couldn't be arsed killing the last snake in 1W, but I was able to stop the tar at 3x3 easily (I say easily because I could manage it).

I'm sure you saw this coming, Erik - it's not like it was a hard concept. The last snake's the hard bit, but I reckon with some thought it won't be that bad.
Huh? I don't understand this. Okay, this time I really mean it: Can you post a demo so I can see what you are doing?

-Erik

08-06-2003 at 02:11 AM
Scott
Ok the new 1 west seems well I won't say harder it just takes longer and the tar grows a lot more. It filled up the big square and was 1 spawn from creating a baby in the long column.

1N1W doesn't seem any more tricky than before.
08-06-2003 at 02:28 AM
Mattcrampy
icon Re: Re: DROD Conversion Project (0)  
The old 1W (apparently there's a new one) was easy to solve because tar doesn't grow if the tar mothers can't see you on their time to spawn. With careful time management, this wasn't an issue.

Something you've changed, apparently.

Matt

08-06-2003 at 10:38 AM
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: Re: DROD Conversion Project (0)  
Mattcrampy wrote:
The old 1W (apparently there's a new one) was easy to solve because tar doesn't grow if the tar mothers can't see you on their time to spawn. With careful time management, this wasn't an issue.

Something you've changed, apparently.
The thing I changed with 1w was removing a trapdoor that could be used for an earlier solution. Tar still grows as you describe above, so I don't understand.

-Erik

08-06-2003 at 04:13 PM
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
I think this hold was absolutely fantastic... maybe I will cough up the $20 or so when you start releasing new holds. I was very impressed.
08-08-2003 at 05:25 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : New Hold: Smallsome Swicks
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com