Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : I got a Nintendo DS lite! (now, what should i do?)
<<3456
Page 7 of 8
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
IP: Logged
icon Re: I got a Nintendo DS lite! (0)  
Yeah, Justice for All was not nearly as good as Ace Attorney. Apart from the aforementioned need for proofreading, there were a lot of places where Phoenix was asked to present something, and there were several choices which made sense.

The fourth case of Justice for All was really good, though, it's just a shame that it was hampered by those gameplay and presentation issues.

[Last edited by Mattcrampy at 09-30-2007 07:14 AM]
09-30-2007 at 07:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
On Phantom Hourglass. Secreted for mild details about content.
Click here to view the secret text

*Product does not actually exist, AFAIK.

10-07-2007 at 01:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
I just got that today as well. I'm thinking it's great. I bet if it continues being at the quality it is after two main dungeons, then It'll certainly be my favorite 2d Zelda.
10-07-2007 at 01:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
Ezlo wrote:
I just got that today as well. I'm thinking it's great. I bet if it continues being at the quality it is after two main dungeons, then It'll certainly be my favorite 2d Zelda.

The battle with
is amazing.

[Last edited by Pinnacle at 10-07-2007 02:14 AM]
10-07-2007 at 02:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
I'm on the SW map, and I am really enjoying Phantom Hourglass as well. I bought it the day of release but I'm taking it slow so I can savor the journey. ;) I wish other Zelda games opened up the warp mechanic as early as this game.

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-07-2007 at 05:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Almost every boss fight was incredible and memorable.

I totally forgot to give my opinions on them! Secrets!

As almost always, though, I want a boss-run function.

10-07-2007 at 01:56 PM
Ezlo
Hmmm... Question about Boss 1:

10-07-2007 at 03:32 PM
Oneiromancer
Ezlo wrote:
Hmmm... Question about Boss 1:

I also forgot to mention that I agree with zex that I still suck at getting Link to roll. In fact when reading the instructions after getting the game I saw that mechanic in there and thought to myself "that's never going to work right" and I was right. Everything else has worked fine though. Sometimes I wish the game would pause when I switch items but usually it's not a big deal.

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-07-2007 at 04:44 PM
malkav11
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 59
For the record, none of the Phoenix Wright games so far released in the North American and European territories have been native DS titles. The first game's last scenario was tacked on for the DS release, and it's a little disappointing they didn't do anything of the kind for 2 (or, apparently, 3), but not entirely surprising. I suspect it may have been an extra included on the assumption that that would be the only game in the series to see English release (it certainly looked like that would be the case for a while.)
10-09-2007 at 12:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pinnacle
icon Re: I got a Nintendo DS lite! (+1)  
Contra IV looks amazing. That is all.

10-28-2007 at 02:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
I never knew they were making this, it's going right on my "Must get from Gamefly when it comes out" list. :)
10-28-2007 at 02:40 AM
Mattcrampy
I am internet friends with the producer of Contra 4.

Protip: it's not coming to Europe. Import it.

10-28-2007 at 04:45 AM
Ezlo
Also, the third Phoenix Wright game is awesome, go buy it if you even slightly enjoyed the first two.
10-28-2007 at 01:34 PM
Mattcrampy
Did they hire a proofreader?!

10-28-2007 at 03:48 PM
Ezlo
Well, I'm not the best at proofreading, so don't ask me. I didn't notice anything that I can remember off the top of my head though.
10-28-2007 at 04:26 PM
Abbyzzmal
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 348
There are still lots of little mistakes, many wrong tenses of verbs and occasional left-out articles and prepositions, but unlike in Phoenix Wright 2, the mistakes do not interfere with one's enjoyment of the game.

Also, it is amazingly coherent. The entire Phoenix Wright series makes sense after the final chapter, which is pretty extraordinary, considering.
10-28-2007 at 05:08 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
I finished Zelda: PH (almost, there's a couple of gems somewhere still) so I borrowed Puzzle Quest from a friend because t'ain't being sold anywhere obvious.

Complaints because I want to complain:
1. Hardly any puzzles (as other people mentioned)
2. Insulting hint arrow can't be turned off.
3. Stupid penalty for illegal move punishes me if I get bumped or accidentally drag instead of tapping. :angry

But it is a good game for filling in the time to and from work.

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 03-11-2008 07:24 AM]
03-11-2008 at 07:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rabscuttle wrote:
Insulting hint arrow can't be turned off.

Note that the hint arrow almost always puts you in a worse position than you would be if you did any other move. This might change your feelings about it.

Guys, Apollo Justice is awesome. Much better gameplay than the Phoenix Wright games, and the plot's more coherent and focused.

03-14-2008 at 06:33 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
I don't think it's out to get you. It does suggest moves that leaves your opponent in a good position, but I think that's because it doesn't look ahead at all. Just from observation, I'd guess its selection process is

pick a 4-in-a-row move if one exists
otherwise pick the three in a row that lets you immediately (not after the drop) collect the maximum number of thingies (so it prefers to grab multipliers or completing 2 sets of 3 if it can)

One other complaint: I can't see mana costs when I'm selecting which spells to equip. graghrgh.

03-14-2008 at 07:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Apollo Wright suffers from the same proofreading issues that Justice For All and Trials and Tribulations suffered. There were at least 3 distinct typos. In a game like this (entirely text-based) that is a big part of QA.

03-14-2008 at 10:44 AM
Oneiromancer
Rabscuttle wrote:
I don't think it's out to get you. It does suggest moves that leaves your opponent in a good position, but I think that's because it doesn't look ahead at all. Just from observation, I'd guess its selection process is

pick a 4-in-a-row move if one exists
otherwise pick the three in a row that lets you immediately (not after the drop) collect the maximum number of thingies (so it prefers to grab multipliers or completing 2 sets of 3 if it can)
The hint arrow is out for immediate satisfaction. It has no idea what will come from above, and when choosing between two equally good options (say, two 4-of-a-kinds) it will pick the one that immediately leads to a good result for your opponent half the time.

Sadly, I miss 4-of-a-kind matches so often that I usually wait for the hint arrow anyway. I rarely follow its advice if it's just another 3-of-a-kind.

03-14-2008 at 09:02 PM
manhammer
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
I would definitely get a flash card for all those "homebrew" games out there....
03-25-2008 at 12:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
manhammer wrote:
I would definitely get a flash card for all those "homebrew" games out there....
Definitely get an R4 card. Those things are easier to use than a pillow!

I like pillows...

[Last edited by Monkey at 03-25-2008 01:33 AM]
03-25-2008 at 01:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
malkav11
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 59
The World Ends With You: a game about fighting frogs and rabid wolves in the Shibuya district of Tokyo while digesting your ramen so that you can be brave enough to wear that bikini.

Actually it's a lot weirder than that.
05-12-2008 at 02:43 AM
Ezlo
Yeah, I just got that game from Gamefly yesterday and was very excited to try it, unfortunately the moment I opened it up my DS decided to snap. :(
05-12-2008 at 05:38 AM
Pinnacle
malkav11 wrote:
The World Ends With You: a game about fighting frogs and rabid wolves in the Shibuya district of Tokyo while digesting your ramen so that you can be brave enough to wear that bikini.

I second that. I even took my avatar from one of the more memorable characters.

05-12-2008 at 02:37 PM
Mattcrampy
malkav11 wrote:

Man, I love this game. It has no right to be anywhere near as good as it is. Accessible, deep, much more transparent and forgiving than most RPGs are (particularly Square-Enix RPGs, known for their Guide Dang It qualities), and it nails nearly everything it tries. One of the best games this year.

Edit: let me explain more. It's an action RPG, where battles take place on two screens simultaneously (though you can put one screen on auto-pilot while you get the hang of the game) - after the tutorial sections, the game lets you dynamically adjust the difficulty - difficulty changes the XP rewards and what drops off enemies, so even if you're an experienced player it's worth dropping down to ensure you get a particular reward. In addition, the game lets you handicap your HP in order to increase the rate items drop off enemies. Your attacks are represented by pins, which you equip and use in battle and have different effects, and winning battles earns you points for your pins, which levels them up and on occasion lets them evolve into stronger versions. Each pin also has a brand, as well - each street in Shibuya has a favourite brand, which players can influence. And your equipment are clothes, which are also branded. And there's no random battles. And you can level up shopkeepers, who'll give you advice and special back-room deals.

And all of this is tied into the plot, which stars about the only snotty teenager in JRPG history that has other characters tell him to shut up and grow up, thematic coherence that extends to the gameplay, and an excellent, fresh script that avoids descending into melodramatics (and while there is a little bit of stupid worldbuilding ala Kingdom Hearts, it's forced into post-game content and the point is that it's supposed to be nigh indecipherable. The game's plot itself leaves just enough unsaid.)

In short, it's great and you should play it. And Joshua is a massive jerk.

[Last edited by Mattcrampy at 05-16-2008 05:28 AM]
05-16-2008 at 05:06 AM
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
Has anyone played Etrian Odyssey? I'm thinking of getting the sequel (which comes out in a month), but I'm not positive I'll like it.

I'm really into rougelikes (which I guess are "hardcore"?), but this is kind of a different beast entirely. I think I'll only like it if it has sufficient strategy in character/party building and the battles themselves.

Can anyone confirm that this is a good game?

EDIT: I see this game has already been talked about, and in this thread, even! Still, I'd like to be convinced one way or the other. Maybe some statements like "If you don't like ____, there's no way you'll like this game."

[Last edited by Zmann at 05-16-2008 01:40 PM]
05-16-2008 at 01:37 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Mattcrampy wrote:
malkav11 wrote:

Man, I love this game. It has no right to be anywhere near as good as it is.

I've been playing it recently and I entirely agree - I'm only just beginning (free time is not one of my main assets these days), but I really like what I've seen so far.

05-16-2008 at 05:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Got my sister's DS and I've now played up til mid week 2 and loving it so far. Everything is perfect! I'll certainly be taking this with me on vacation next week!

[Last edited by Ezlo at 03-07-2011 06:31 AM]
05-16-2008 at 07:18 PM
<<3456
Page 7 of 8
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : I got a Nintendo DS lite! (now, what should i do?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com