Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Where I've been.
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ClaytonW
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 961
IP: Logged
icon Where I've been. (0)  
Hello everyone.

I realize I've been very quiet for the last month or so, and basically inactive with beta-testing too. I just thought I should pop in and let everyone know what I've been up to, and how an 18-year old male can possibly be too busy to type some crap on a forum once a day.

We've lived in this new "mobile home" (we were snapped at by the manager for calling them trailers) for a little over a month now, and aside from the necessities (my computer is one of them), we haven't done much unpacking. We've got a rental storage shed full of stuff, but my mother insists on being present when I bring boxes back. She works at night and sleeps during the day, so seldom does the opportunity arise that I can haul boxes for her to unpack. I'm still looking for some of my DVDs, goddammit.

I'm STILL trying to find a job. I've got $70-80 to last me through the Boone County Fair (2nd largest in the state) August 5-10, and the Nintendo Fusion convention in Chicago on August 12th. I've turned in applications all over Belvidere and Rockford, and even called them back with the same line "Hi, my name is Clayton Weiss, I turned in an application on the 15th, I was wondering if there were any openings available or any interviews being scheduled?" Either nobody is hiring, or the world is against me... probably the latter.

My father isn't doing so well. He's got several shattered vertebrae, one of which is pinching his spinal cord, causing excruciating pain, he had pnumonia, he's got MERCA, he can barely walk, and practically needs to be waited on hand and foot. Like I said, my mom sleeps during the day, and I was always a good babysitter.

My girlfriend (Mary) goes to summer classes in the morning, and so I only get to see her in the afternoons until early evening, but I still can't leave the house because of my dad. Unless of course my mom isn't working that night, in that case I go out as long as I can.

So unfortunately, DROD is taking a backseat to my personal life again.

I apologize, and hope I can become more involved soon.

- Claythro
07-31-2003 at 06:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Where I've been. (0)  
ClaytonW wrote:
Hello everyone.
Hey, Clayton. I hope you don't feel bad that nobody responded to this (well, except me). I would guess that it's just difficult for people to switch out of "gamer mode" to "mensch mode". DROD is a break from the complexities of life, so your audience on this board is probably going to step around your life complexities as well.
I realize I've been very quiet for the last month or so, and basically inactive with beta-testing too. I just thought I should pop in and let everyone know what I've been up to, and how an 18-year old male can possibly be too busy to type some crap on a forum once a day.
I didn't have an expectation that you'd work on beta-testing. It's like a party--you invite a bunch of people and some can make it, others can't. So don't worry about that.
I'm STILL trying to find a job. I've got $70-80 to last me through the Boone County Fair (2nd largest in the state) August 5-10, and the Nintendo Fusion convention in Chicago on August 12th.
Heh. You really like that Boone County Fair. It sounds like you may never miss a year for the rest of your life.
I've turned in applications all over Belvidere and Rockford, and even called them back with the same line "Hi, my name is Clayton Weiss, I turned in an application on the 15th, I was wondering if there were any openings available or any interviews being scheduled?" Either nobody is hiring, or the world is against me... probably the latter.
It sounds like you're doing the right thing, but don't convince yourself it's impossible to find a job. I mean if you go to McDonalds you'll see some not particularly qualified guy picking his nose behind the counter. How did he get that job? If there really is something that is making people not hire you, you should figure out what it is. Really, cynicism is cheap.
My father isn't doing so well. He's got several shattered vertebrae, one of which is pinching his spinal cord, causing excruciating pain, he had pnumonia, he's got MERCA, he can barely walk, and practically needs to be waited on hand and foot. Like I said, my mom sleeps during the day, and I was always a good babysitter.
Man, I sure sympathize with you there. My Mom was bed-ridden with cancer (died later). I wasn't old enough to be as responsible as you, and in hindsight, I'm glad that other people stepped in and handled most of the work of taking care of her. I imagine you have mixed emotions about it.
So unfortunately, DROD is taking a backseat to my personal life again.

I apologize, and hope I can become more involved soon.
Apology not accepted. What a weird thing to apologize for. :)

-Erik

08-06-2003 at 06:16 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Where I've been. (0)  
Hey, also...

Is a commute to Lockport feasible for you? This is where Webfoot offices are. I could recommend you to Webfoot for testing, web stuff, typing--all entry-level stuff. It's a slim chance and I don't know of any openings, but maybe there is something.

-Erik

08-06-2003 at 06:31 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ClaytonW
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 961
icon Re: Re: Where I've been. (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
Hey, also...

Is a commute to Lockport feasible for you? This is where Webfoot offices are. I could recommend you to Webfoot for testing, web stuff, typing--all entry-level stuff. It's a slim chance and I don't know of any openings, but maybe there is something.

-Erik

Thanks for the gesture, but there's no way I'd be able to get down there and back daily. Partially because of my dad, but mostly because my car is, shall we say, less than amazing. It's a wonder-mobile! (I wonder how it still runs) I've been taking my parents van when I want to go out lately because I don't trust mine (A '91 Chevy Caprice).

But again, thanks, I really do appreciate it. Lockports just a wee bit too far for me right now.
08-08-2003 at 04:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: Re: Where I've been. (0)  
ClaytonW wrote:
But again, thanks, I really do appreciate it. Lockports just a wee bit too far for me right now.
Fair enough, buddy. I thought it was probably too far. Good luck on the job search and taking care of your Dad.

-Erik

08-08-2003 at 05:22 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Where I've been.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com