Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Serpent brains
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
levelthirteen
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 109
IP: Logged
icon Serpent brains (0)  
In some rooms with brains and serpents, the brains direct the serpents to move diagonally or through a pile of other monsters. A serpent brain, similar to an ordinary brain but never leading serpents to their death, and not giving directions to any other monsters.

02-28-2003 at 05:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1721
icon Re: Serpent brains (0)  
I think that this would make the serpents far too difficult. They are tough enough without being able to move diagonally. I do like the idea of individual brains though.

02-28-2003 at 05:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Boksha
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
I think the idea was to make brains so that they can NOT make a snake go diagonally.
03-09-2003 at 05:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
icon Re: Re: Serpent brains (0)  
Boksha wrote:
I think the idea was to make brains so that they can NOT make a snake go diagonally.
Huh? Snakes can\'t go diagonally anyway - if they could a lot of the rooms in DROD would be impossible.

"Oook!"
03-09-2003 at 06:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Serpents NEVER move diagonally. Brains do not change that.

03-09-2003 at 06:36 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Perhaps what is meant by \"diagonally\" is movement in a horizontal and then vertical direction, one square at a time, repeatedly, e.g.

If the serpent wants to move \"South-East\", it would go one square south, then one square east, then one square south, and so on until it changes direction.

03-09-2003 at 08:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
levelthirteen
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 109
In the two or so rooms with both serpents, brains, and tar, the serpents are led to their death by the brains; -anyone who has solved the tar room in level twenty can agree.
The serpents charge towards Beethro despite obstacles that can kill them.

03-09-2003 at 11:08 PM
zex20913
Yes, but it is the diagonal thing that we are questioning.

03-10-2003 at 02:29 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Well, actually I think a brain that makes snakes smart enough to avoid traps would be worse than snakes moving diagonally. I guess you could design rooms where you\'d need to trap the snakes in unavoidable traps by closing doors on them and so forth, but you can do that now (just don\'t include tar babies).

It\'s not difficult to think of ways to make the game harder. The question is - will it add anything to the game? Or just detract from it? DRoD isn\'t an arcade game. It\'s a thinking game. Making the game arbitrarily harder isn\'t any good, unless it also requires more of the player. As far as I can see, changing the brain/snake interaction in the way proposed won\'t do that.

03-10-2003 at 04:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Serpent brains
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com