Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Have I gone deaf??
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Elfstone
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1285
IP: Logged
icon Have I gone deaf?? (0)  
Can anyone explain to me why the sound in DROD has suddenly disappeared?

I have checked settings and voices, effects and music are all checked. My computer's sound seems to be working normally.

Why has DROD gone silent?

(I have to say it 'sounds' very odd, if you know what I mean :~( )

Elfstone.

08-08-2006 at 11:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Niccus
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 308
icon Re: Have I gone deaf?? (0)  
I don't know, but restart DROD. It happens to me occasionally.

I don't know how to reproduce it either, so...

I'll bet there's something in the Bugs forum though.

[Last edited by Niccus at 08-08-2006 11:47 PM]
08-08-2006 at 11:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
Niccus wrote:
I don't know, but restart DROD. It happens to me occasionally.

I don't know how to reproduce it either, so...

I'll bet there's something in the Bugs forum though.

Thanks Niccus.

I restarted DROD, but it made no difference.
I searched the Bugs forum and came up with several threads about this problem (it's not just me!!), but they all seem to relate to an earlier version of the software and the recommended cure is upgrading.

Mention was also made of the 'DROD.ini' file and I had a look at that - goodness knows why, as it means nothing to me and I have no idea whether it is the way it should be or not.

Very strange that the sounds would just suddenly cut out like that.

Elfstone.

08-09-2006 at 12:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Elfstone wrote:
Can anyone explain to me why the sound in DROD has suddenly disappeared?

I have checked settings and voices, effects and music are all checked. My computer's sound seems to be working normally.

Why has DROD gone silent?

(I have to say it 'sounds' very odd, if you know what I mean :~( )

Elfstone.
A quick way to tell if you really are going deaf, or your speakers/soundcard is dying is to click on the speaker icon in the task tray, and then click on the volume control bar. If it doesn't make a noise, its not DROD's problem. Making sure you haven't muted the sound is also a good idea.
08-09-2006 at 07:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
NiroZ wrote:
A quick way to tell if you really are going deaf, or your speakers/soundcard is dying is to click on the speaker icon in the task tray, and then click on the volume control bar.
I really doubt that's gonna work on Mac OS X...

08-09-2006 at 07:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
Thanks guys, but my computer sound is working quite normally for all other tasks, so it's not the computer; it is just a DROD problem.

Elf.

Edit: thinking about when it happened - could it be something to do with downloading a hold? I mean, could there be a problem with the hold, which would cause the silence?

[Last edited by Elfstone at 08-09-2006 08:50 AM]
08-09-2006 at 08:27 AM
Briareos
Elfstone wrote:
Edit: thinking about when it happened - could it be something to do with downloading a hold? I mean, could there be a problem with the hold, which would cause the silence?
I really doubt it; but would DROD have happened to crash on you lately?

Take a look into your DROD.ini file and check if there are two sections labeled "[Songs]" and "[Waves]", which should contain several "<something>=<something>.ogg" lines each. If those are missing the sounds and songs in-game would be missing as well...

08-09-2006 at 09:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
There is a sound loss on hold import bug that crept into 2.0.14, which I think you don't have, so that's probably not it. Have you tried playing other holds? Is the sound gone for all holds?

Have you tried replacing your drod.ini with a fresh one? That's probably not it either, but worth a shot.

Otherwise, it might help if you posted your drod.err file here.
08-09-2006 at 09:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
Briareos wrote:
I really doubt it; but would DROD have happened to crash on you lately?

No - it has never crashed.

Take a look into your DROD.ini file and check if there are two sections labeled "[Songs]" and "[Waves]", which should contain several "<something>=<something>.ogg" lines each. If those are missing the sounds and songs in-game would be missing as well...

Yes they are there (and see my reply to michthro).
Elf.

08-09-2006 at 09:34 AM
Elfstone
michthro wrote:
There is a sound loss on hold import bug that crept into 2.0.14, which I think you don't have, so that's probably not it. Have you tried playing other holds? Is the sound gone for all holds?

Yes and indeed all the "click" noises in the menu screens; all sound in fact.

Have you tried replacing your drod.ini with a fresh one? That's probably not it either, but worth a shot.

I opened the file you gave me beside my drod.ini file and compared; they are identical with the one exception of the section marked "startup". Yours says something about the 2005 Smitemasters Selection and mine says this:

[Startup]
Demo=1

Otherwise, it might help if you posted your drod.err file here.

Happy to, but I have no idea where to find it. The folder called Resources>Data where I find the drod.ini file has several other folders:

Bitmaps, Fonts, Help, Homemade, Licenses, Music, Sounds,

and 4 other files:

data.dat, drod2_0.dat, palyer.dat and text.dat.

I tried Spotlight, but it did not find a drod.err file.

Elf.

[Last edited by Elfstone at 08-09-2006 09:45 AM]
08-09-2006 at 09:44 AM
michthro
icon Re: Have I gone deaf?? (+1)  
urgh. The old Mac again.. Apparently drod.err should be in ~/.caravel/drod-2_0. See this post for more on how to get at it.

A reinstall might fix the problem, though it may be a big job if you have to redownload your holds. First try to avoid that:

-Export your player and put it in a safe place. (Just in case.)
-Back up your .dats. They are data.dat, drod2_0.dat, player.dat and text.dat.
-Uninstall DROD, whatever that means on the Mac. (It may simply mean deleting the whole DROD folder.) Make sure you have your player file and .dats somewhere away from DROD so they don't accidentally get deleted in the processs.
-Reinstall. Again, whatever that may mean. Just do what you did in the first place to get DROD up and running.
-Replace the four .dat files with the backup copies.

Hopefully that will work.
08-09-2006 at 10:13 AM
Elfstone
michthro wrote:
urgh. The old Mac again..

Hey! Less of the "old"!! :P

I'm ready to admit to being old (not that you would mention it of course ;) ) but my iMac is new!!!!

I'll have a go at following your directions later on today when I can concentrate on not doing anything stupid.

Thanks for your help,
Elfstone.

08-09-2006 at 01:56 PM
Briareos
Elfstone wrote:
I'll have a go at following your directions later on today when I can concentrate on not doing anything stupid.
I'd recommend copying the whole DROD folder somewhere else before uninstalling, just in case...

08-09-2006 at 02:05 PM
michthro
Elfstone wrote:
michthro wrote:
urgh. The old Mac again..

Hey! Less of the "old"!! :P

I'm ready to admit to being old (not that you would mention it of course ;) ) but my iMac is new!!!!
My apologies to your iMac. At least I didn't say "Old Elfstone again", but then again, you are Scottish.. O:-

Please do as Briareos suggested and back up your DROD folder first.
08-09-2006 at 04:31 PM
Elfstone
A quick question before I plunge into radical surgery on DROD: if I am going to copy the entire DROD folder (onto my pen drive) and then delete everything, do I have to do the export player thing and backing up of dats?

Elfstone.

08-09-2006 at 10:03 PM
michthro
Elfstone wrote:
A quick question before I plunge into radical surgery on DROD: if I am going to copy the entire DROD folder (onto my pen drive) and then delete everything, do I have to do the export player thing and backing up of dats?
No, backing up the folder will be enough. You can just extract the .dats from there, and your progress will be backed up anyway.
08-09-2006 at 10:19 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
I think this should be moved to the Bugs board, so I'll do that in a while, after Elfstone and co. have had some chance to read this post.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
08-09-2006 at 10:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
mrimer wrote:
I think this should be moved to the Bugs board, so I'll do that in a while, after Elfstone and co. have had some chance to read this post.

Thanks mrimer, and apologies - I didn't realise it was a bug; I just assumed I'd done something stupid. :~(

Elf.

08-09-2006 at 11:09 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
Elfstone wrote:
mrimer wrote:

Thanks mrimer, and apologies - I didn't realise it was a bug; I just assumed I'd done something stupid. :~(
No, I'm doubtful it's a bug. I guess we can leave it where it is for now. /shrugs

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
08-10-2006 at 12:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Ok, I copied the DROD folder across to my pen drive and then deleted the folder from my computer.

I reinstalled DROD form my JtRH CD.

When I started up DROD - no sound!!

The other odd thing (its seems to me anyway) is that when I clicked on 'Change Settings', the new DROD had my name, my key, Q and W changed to A and S, just as I had had them on the old DROD. If it's a completely new version of the software, it shouldn't have had that, should it? :?

Elfstone.

Edit: More - when I clicked on Play Game> Change Location the list in the window included all the games I have played and the 100%s beside the ones I have completed.

I think I haven't uninstalled something along the way, but I have no idea what or where to find it.

[Last edited by Elfstone at 08-10-2006 05:00 PM]
08-10-2006 at 04:50 PM
michthro
Elfstone wrote:
The other odd thing (its seems to me anyway) is that when I clicked on 'Change Settings', the new DROD had my name, my key, Q and W changed to A and S, just as I had had them on the old DROD. If it's a completely new version of the software, it shouldn't have had that, should it? :?
I think that means that simply deleting the folder doesn't completely uninstall DROD. There must be some way, but I have no idea how it works on the Mac. Isn't there something along the lines of "Add/Remove programs" somewhere? Or an "uninstall" somewhere in the DROD folder?
08-10-2006 at 05:03 PM
Elfstone
michthro wrote:
I think that means that simply deleting the folder doesn't completely uninstall DROD. There must be some way, but I have no idea how it works on the Mac. Isn't there something along the lines of "Add/Remove programs" somewhere? Or an "uninstall" somewhere in the DROD folder?

I'll have a hunt. Thanks
Elf.

08-10-2006 at 05:06 PM
Briareos
Elfstone wrote:
I'll have a hunt. Thanks
I'm pretty sure DROD stores all your settings, players and holds somewhere in your home directory; so after uninstalling you'll have to remove it's directory (probably ".drod" or something) from there as well...

np: Yello - Oh Yeah (Indian Summer version) (Stella)

08-10-2006 at 05:53 PM
Elfstone
Thanks briareos. Mentioning "directory" set me on the trail: I remembered something Eric had emailed to me when I bough the CD of JtRH. There was a problem with the full version only going as far as Level 3 and I was told to delete DROD and given an instruction to use Terminal to clean out the directory.

Because I was poorly at the time, I never did get round to doing that (and consequently never got round to playing the rest of JtRH - there are plenty other Holds to be busy with!).

Anyway, I followed those directions and re-installed from the JtRH CD and got myself a brand spanking new version of DROD!

Unfortunately, would you believe it, I still don't have sound!!!!

What do I do now?

Elfstone.

08-10-2006 at 06:41 PM
Elfstone
I've lost it all!!!!!!!!

Everything; all the holds I had done; it's all gone

I decided as I had no sound in the new DROD I might as well take back the back-up copy from my pen drive and when I did, all that I had in Change Location is JtRH.

Everything else has gone!!!

I had completed somewhere between 20 and 25 Holds including all of KDD!!!!!

I can't bear the thought of having to do all of that all over again.

:weep :weep :weep :weep :weep :weep :weep :weep :weep :weep

08-10-2006 at 08:17 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
That always stinks, not matter who it happens too. It happend to Pilchard a litte while ago in fact, I can do the same for you what I did for him, I'll send you my player file which has around 30 or so finished holds, (albeit different then yours most likely) but it's a start to rebuilding what you have.

This includes JTRH, KDD, Perfection, Beethro's Teacher and others finished.
08-10-2006 at 08:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Have I gone deaf?? (+2)  
I'm seriously confused by what's been happening here. Now, I'm no Mac expert, but as far as I know, even on a Mac what you're describing seems pretty impossible - if you just copied DROD over to your pen drive yesterday, than copied it back today, you should only lose one day of progress at most. So I think that either you did something different than what you thought you were doing, or there's something else going on here that you aren't describing properly.

I'll leave it to the people who understand Macs to suggest advice, but for now I'd suggest just leaving everything as is and not touching it until you get advice from someone who knows what's going on.

08-10-2006 at 08:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
michthro
I don't understand either. Your progress should be in the .dat files. What are the sizes of your .dat files? Sorry if it's my advice that caused this, but even if your progress is actually stored somewhere else on the Mac, I don't see at all how deleting a folder and then replacing it with a backup copy can possibly cause you to lose anything.
08-10-2006 at 09:00 PM
Hikari
Rank Points: 438
Jeebus, I *knew* I should've been paying attention in here... Elfstone, did you back up your .dat files or just the program? It's the .dat files that store the holds and your player file and everything...

Hmm. I'll see if I can duplicate what happened there.

08-10-2006 at 09:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Hikari
Rank Points: 438
OK... Elfstone, were you running your DROD from a full version or a demo version of the *program* before? I've discovered that the DROD program *does* store the demo's files in a different directory than full version's files go in, but it doesn't seem to autodetect them and change the foldername when you go from demo to full.

In any case... I think I see what happened here, if all you have left is JtRH. What appears to have happened is the .dat that carries hold files got replaced. You'll want to put your backed up .dat files in the drod-2_0 folder in place of the ones that are there right now, and that should put all your holds and such back.

That said, I have no clue how to get your full version of the JtRH hold into your holds list from the other list. As long as you still have the old .dat files, though, it should be possible to get everything put back together as it should be.

Also, on a side note... The program itself doesn't actually contain anything that would affect loss of sound as far as I know. The file that's the most likely culprit is going to be the drod.ini file in your drod-2_0 folder.

08-10-2006 at 09:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Page 1 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Have I gone deaf??
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com