Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Snakes! ...to the Death (Our Contest for August.)
<<2345
Page 6 of 32
78910>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Niccus
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 308
IP: Logged
icon Re: Snakes! ...to the Death (0)  
The upper snake would be delayed by four turns, unless he jumps early. (there's only one point where he can choose that)
08-14-2006 at 02:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
techant
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 854
jamesdenem wrote:
I had the same problem at first, but figured it out pretty quickly. I can't wait to see you in the pairing chamber, techant

:lol

08-14-2006 at 03:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NekoIncardine
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 127
eytanz wrote:
NekoIncardine wrote:
Well, great. I got moved down even when I set a Jump. I lose. :/

Was this a bug? Or did you mis-type your moves (i.e. put the wrong number of bumps before the jump?) If it's a bug, I think it should be corrected.

I was approximately here:
SSB-

Where S = Snake, B = Box, - = Empty space, and * = area.

I put in JJBB, and ended up here:
SSB-
*S**

I'm... Not sure how THAT works. o_O;

08-14-2006 at 03:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Niccus
Rank Points: 308
I believe timing is at play.

Rotten-luck, unfortunate, serendipitous timing. :(
08-14-2006 at 03:07 AM
silver
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: Snakes! ...to the Death (+3)  
Niccus wrote:
serendipitous timing
"serpendipitous"? :)

serendipity is when amazingly good things happen, so this is closer to serpendipity.

[Last edited by silver at 08-14-2006 03:16 AM]
08-14-2006 at 03:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
The number of doomed snakes is depressing. -_-
08-14-2006 at 03:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
techant
I am still wondering what happens when you jump off the board to the right.

Also how are you all making all those nice pics?

08-14-2006 at 03:11 AM
silver
Rank Points: 915
Erik posted the tileset here (public domain): http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=11482&page=3#124474

and I own a copy of either photoshop or the gimp (*)

--

I'm not so depressed about the deaths, except for the 2 people who have posted that they thought they entered surviving moves and died anyway... Erik auto-entered a bunch of people into the contest, so there was expected to be a number who weren't really interested in playing.

--

(*) for the curious, the answer is photoshop. for which I paid 1200 $ (though it was bundled with Illustrator, Acrobat, and something else I never bothered to install).

[Last edited by silver at 08-14-2006 03:22 AM]
08-14-2006 at 03:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Penumbra
Rank Points: 358
Dang. I, too, thought I had posted moves that would have taken me out of the "are you awake" chamber. Seems like I am not, or was not, or something... :? Well, no matter, t'was my own fault. I will watch this contest unfold with great interest.
08-14-2006 at 03:28 AM
techant
silver wrote:
Erik posted the tileset here (public domain): http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=11482&page=3#124474

and I own a copy of either photoshop or the gimp (*)

oK Downloaded the tileset and I have gimp but what is the best way to take the segment of snake or a snake head and past it to my copy of the game png? I have used the gimp for other contests and some simple artwork but I am not as versitile with layers as I should be maybe. :blush

08-14-2006 at 03:51 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Hmm, how did I end up dead? Was pretty sure I got the sequence right... either I wasn't controlling the right snake or made a mistake somewhere.

08-14-2006 at 04:21 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Can you remember what/when you typed in? Sounds like theres a few people who didn't expect to die, but I would expect a few people to have misinterpreted the rules, too. Hard to tell if theres a problem or not..
08-14-2006 at 04:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Maurog
It might be that the snake's head was just before a turn and I didn't count it, thinking from the next move when it goes down and on. But not sure. For the time being, I recommend everyone to use J everywhere except when you specifically want it to bump. If I left the initial sequence on, I'd still be alive.

08-14-2006 at 06:07 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Yeah, that's a lot dead snakes. I hope there's something that can be done to allow those who died by making a mistake another chance.

This picture shows how Jumps and Bumps should've been used (From the submission thread). I had to double-check this, too, so it's not a surprise that some people didn't get it right, even while trying.

08-14-2006 at 06:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog

File: EasyPuzzle4.jpg (15 KB)
Downloaded 629 times.
License: Public Domain
I disagree with that solution. This is important - the right sequence that should be used is shown below:

08-14-2006 at 06:59 AM
TripleM
Hmm, I tend to agree with Doom here - Maurog's way is a lot less intuitive, and much more prone to mistakes. They both should work though..

I don't quite get why you would do it that way at all..

[Last edited by TripleM at 08-14-2006 08:31 AM]
08-14-2006 at 08:29 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Well i just posted 10 or so jumps, as figured what ever the rule set was, i should clear it. I was suprised that it didn't allow you to to jump over empty squares.
08-14-2006 at 08:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Less intuitive maybe, but you only have to use B when you need to bump where there is an option to jump, i.e. very rarely. This means less places in which you switch from B to J and vice versa. And this in turn means less mistakes that can easily kill you.

08-14-2006 at 09:20 AM
TripleM
I don't see whats so hard about saying 'if I want to bump, I type B, and if I want to jump, I type J'.. its pretty hard to make mistakes.
Anyway, I guess people will just use whatever is easiest for them.

(By the way, when you say mistakes that can immediately kill you, that would be pretty rare whatever you type in. Its not as if typing 'bump' will kill you if there are no bumps allowed, but there are still jumps.)

[Last edited by TripleM at 08-14-2006 10:38 AM]
08-14-2006 at 10:30 AM
Hikari
Rank Points: 438
I think Maurog's problem is that he typed too many Bs so he had B in a place where bumps *could* kill him, when he thought he was jumping there instead.

08-14-2006 at 10:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
TripleM
Yeah. On the other hand, in the full snakepit, an extra J will be just as likely to kill you as an extra B. So there isn't really much difference between the two methods.
08-14-2006 at 11:00 AM
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471
NekoIncardine wrote:
I put in JJBB, and ended up here:
SSB-
*S**

I'm... Not sure how THAT works. o_O;

Question: Did you remember to press the "Save" button after putting in your sequence?

For anyone else who died after entering, the same question, and another one: did your move sequence take into account the trivial turns prior to the decision point?

08-14-2006 at 11:05 AM
Mikko
Rank Points: 276
Can two snakes use the same exit if there's enough time between them and no turns in the passage? That is, can one snake jump over another that has already reached the edge?
08-14-2006 at 11:37 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Maurog
That's impossible. But the time the first snake reaches the exit, there is simply not enough free space left. The second snake is either winning too or dead.

08-14-2006 at 11:39 AM
Chris
Rank Points: 144
silver wrote:
with automatic jumps when bumps aren't available, then I should get here if I just sit on my after quarters:

edit: my sincere hope is that this serves as explanation-by-example of the rules to people, rather than a spoiler.
I see it now. I was playing it out in my head and got it wrong. I was thinking you would automatically jump over yourself and the block to the East. I was missing that it was possible to bump to the South instead. So yes, don't leave your list of moves blank. :)
08-14-2006 at 12:40 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Can we have a link to the snakes page somewhere at the top of the forum? The only way I see to get there is through the contest page. Not that this is bad, but the link would be better.

08-14-2006 at 01:32 PM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
Hmmm... I sort of forgot about this contest (it's easy to do that when you only really have internet at work, and you don't work on weekends).

Oh well, at least I get to watch as my snake slithers towards a slow and agonizing death. :)

08-14-2006 at 01:55 PM
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
zex20913 wrote:
Can we have a link to the snakes page somewhere at the top of the forum? The only way I see to get there is through the contest page. Not that this is bad, but the link would be better.

Why not add it as a favorite in your browser until the contest is over.
08-14-2006 at 02:08 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
One thing that might be nice would be if the Snakes page included a note indicating the time of the next move. Like '45 minutes to next move' or sometbing like that'. Of course, it's calculable in any case, so this is pretty minor.

Josh

08-14-2006 at 03:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Ouch. I'm traveling at a pretty bad time. There's still a lot time until the pairing chamber phase ends. Almost certainly enough to prevent me from seeing the real arena at all. For 5 or so days. Oh well, hopefully the snake can survive ~65 turns of free moving. (Not totally impossible thought, if it's anything like the example arena)

Hey, do the excess moves from the pairing chambers carry on to the actual arena or is the move list reseted?

[Last edited by Doom at 08-15-2006 07:19 PM : 4->5, 50->65]
08-14-2006 at 03:37 PM
<<2345
Page 6 of 32
78910>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Snakes! ...to the Death (Our Contest for August.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com