Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : What's your fauvorite city or nation?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Neather2
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
IP: Logged
icon What's your fauvorite city or nation? (0)  
What's your fauvorite city?

For my the Italy :D

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
07-27-2006 at 05:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
icon Re: What's your fauvorite city or nation? (0)  
I'll say the USA.

Did you know? You can click on the Statistics link at the top of the page to see what countries forum members are from (who have chosen to specify their country).

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-27-2006 at 05:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bradwall
Rank Points: 423
07-28-2006 at 07:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
York, but not the one on the continent of Pennsylvania. Come to that, not the one in Maine, Nebraska or Alabama. Or the New one. I mean, there's only one Eboracum.
07-28-2006 at 02:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1285
icon Re: What's your fauvorite city or nation? (+1)  
Well, I would have to say Scotland wouldn't I? We have a beautiful wee country and Edinburgh is a wonderful city. I used to live there many years ago.

I would also give Ireland a plug; it's a wonderful country - very much like Scotland in many respects - and the stout (especially Murphy's) is very good!! :beer

Elfstone.

07-28-2006 at 11:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Canadian_Army
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 50
Canada!!

...as if you could guess

(Vancouver perticularly)

07-29-2006 at 04:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: What's your fauvorite city or nation? (+1)  
Elfstone wrote:
Well, I would have to say Scotland wouldn't I? We have a beautiful wee country and Edinburgh is a wonderful city. I used to live there many years ago.
I decided some years back that Edinburgh is my favorite city in the world after visiting it 3 times. They got a big old castle on a hill in the middle of the city. You can't beat that! Incredibly friendly people there too that don't mind starting conversations with Americans.

-Erik

07-29-2006 at 10:43 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Neather2
Rank Points: 406

File: castle.jpg (3.6 KB)
Downloaded 50 times.
License: Public Domain
Just, If mistake I have not seen some photo to me of that castle… Good Day Erik. :thumbsup

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.

[Last edited by Neather2 at 07-30-2006 07:46 AM]
07-30-2006 at 06:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
ErikH2000 wrote:
I decided some years back that Edinburgh is my favorite city in the world after visiting it 3 times. They got a big old castle on a hill in the middle of the city. You can't beat that! Incredibly friendly people there too that don't mind starting conversations with Americans.

-Erik

Excellent comment - the Scottish Tourist Board would love it!! Your last sentence is delightful. :)

If you ever plan to be back in Edinburgh let me know; we could meet up for a chat over coffee or lunch. From here to Edinburgh and back again in a day is just possible.

Elf.

07-30-2006 at 07:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
ErikH2000 wrote:
They got a big old castle on a hill in the middle of the city. You can't beat that!
Heh... if you can't beat them, join 'em - we've got a few such castles here too, if you want to pay Austria a visit someday... :D

np: Reinhard Voigt - Zu dicht dran (Kompakt Total 2)

07-30-2006 at 08:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
Briareos wrote:
ErikH2000 wrote:
They got a big old castle on a hill in the middle of the city. You can't beat that!
Heh... if you can't beat them, join 'em - we've got a few such castles here too, if you want to pay Austria a visit someday... :D
Well, Switzerland can't compete there -- we have any number of hills and castles, but no actual cities O:-
07-31-2006 at 01:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krepnox
Rank Points: 52
Briareos wrote:
ErikH2000 wrote:
Heh... if you can't beat them, join 'em - we've got a few such castles here too, if you want to pay Austria a visit someday... !
I've never been to Edinburgh, but I have been to Austria. The castles in Austria are better than any that I've seen here in the US. On the other hand, they pale in comparison to Ludwig's castles.

[Last edited by krepnox at 07-31-2006 11:06 PM]
07-31-2006 at 11:05 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
krepnox wrote:
I've never been to Edinburgh, but I have been to Austria. The castles in Austria are better than any that I've seen here in the US. On the other hand, they pale in comparison to Ludwig's castles.
Heh heh. Do we even have any castles in the US? I mean other than the one at Disneyland. ;) Oh, and then there's White Castle. Mmmm, White Castle.

I have not been to Austria, and must admit that I am not an authority on castles. But without taking anything away from Austria or other castle-containing places I've not been to, Edinburgh is just wonderful! The castle is at the end of a straight, climbing road (The Royal Mile, I think). It's not dwarfed by nearby modern construction, but allowed to remain the center of attention. Like if you went to Seattle, you'd find our Space Needle on the outskirts of the downtown area and thoroughly shown up by skyscrapers. And I use the Space Needle as a lame example, because we don't even have old monuments that were actually involved in important historical events. Well, I guess the World's Fair counts as a historical event, but it's not nearly as good as a hilltop castle that was occupied by different forces throughout the centuries.

The other thing I loved about Edinburgh was staying in this one hostel run by a bunch of hippies. You have to climb up 3 or 4 flights of stairs from the street level, and the whole way up there's cartoon characters on the walls. Hostel rooms are co-ed which makes for a lot of awkward but funny situations.

Oh, and Elfstone lived in Edinburgh, so that speaks well of it. Also a famous DROD hold author, whose name I won't reveal, I believe currently lives in Edinburgh. Next time I am there, I'll definitely look people up. :)

-Erik

08-01-2006 at 01:16 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hikari
Rank Points: 438
ErikH2000 wrote:
Heh heh. Do we even have any castles in the US? I mean other than the one at Disneyland. ;) Oh, and then there's White Castle. Mmmm, White Castle.

Well... according to this, there's rather a lot...

I'll note that the top of the page is filled up with some political stuff about that law that got signed in about the government being able to force private property owners to sell their property against their wills, but below that is a *lot* of stuff about US castles. ;)

08-01-2006 at 02:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
krepnox
Rank Points: 52
ErikH2000 wrote:
[Heh heh. Do we even have any castles in the US? I mean other than the one at Disneyland. ;) Oh, and then there's White Castle. Mmmm, White Castle.

Opinions may differ on this, but White Castle is one of the reasons I believe in a benevolent and merciful God.

Funny you should mention the castle at Disneyland. It is a very poor copy of one of Ludwig's castles. The original is way more spectacular. My wife and I spent a month driving through Bavaria and Austria. The castles, the scenery and the beer were all worth the trip. A few of the nights we were there, we slept in some castles. Very romantic. A lot more romantic if they have modern plumbing and ventilation.

Yes, we do have castles in the US. We just don't have them in the European sense of the seat of nobility or royalty. We also don't have them in the sense of defensive fortresses. Again, reasonable people may differ on this. I am limiting myself to places I've been, but I think that the "summer cottages" in Newport, RI are castles. So are some of the homes built by the railroad barons in the Hudson valley. And let us not forget that monument to modesty in San Simeon, CA.

[Last edited by krepnox at 08-01-2006 02:18 AM]
08-01-2006 at 02:15 AM
golfrman
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
ErikH2000 wrote:
-Erik

go to cambria and you can find a wonderfull place called hearst castle

08-01-2006 at 07:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : What's your fauvorite city or nation?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com