Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Dinfro Budkin's winecellars v2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
IP: Logged

File: winecellarv22.hold (7.5 KB)
Downloaded 105 times.
License: Other
icon Dinfro Budkin's winecellars v2 (0)  
OK, as the post for this hold seems to have vanished, I'm reposting. I've made a couple of very minor alterations but I've also added a third level. I'm not going to alter this hold (but may reuse some of it in future) unless there is a serious bug with it.

It's more of a hack 'n' slash than puzzle hold, and it's not massively difficult... with one or two exceptions. :D Anyway, see what you think.

EDIT: Versions 2 and 2.1 don't allow access to all levels. If you've got either, re-download version 2.2 here. Sorry.

[Edited by krammer on 07-28-2003 at 02:06 PM]

"Oook!"
07-27-2003 at 07:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
icon Re: Dinfro Budkin's winecellars v2 (0)  
krammer wrote:
OK, as the post for this hold seems to have vanished, I'm reposting. I've made a couple of very minor alterations but I've also added a third level. I'm not going to alter this hold (but may reuse some of it in future) unless there is a serious bug with it.

It's more of a hack 'n' slash than puzzle hold, and it's not massively difficult... with one or two exceptions. :D Anyway, see what you think.

Enjoyable, cool puzzles with subtle solutions in the first level (1W almost had me ready to complain you hadn't playtested properly - I actually laughed out loud when I got it ;) )

A problem though. The exit for the top floor takes me back to the start of the top floor again. So no access to levels 2 or 3, if they do infact exist ;) Just tried with build 32.

Another thing, a complaint to hold designers in general infact. Could people please start putting checkpoints in their exit rooms? There is a good reason for it - a checkpoint allows the saving of the completion status of all rooms on a level. If I upgrade to a new version of a hold with bugfixes etc, I'm not forced to re-do some of the rooms on the current level, before descending the stairs. Or if there's a secret room which I visit early on, I can go back there with all rooms complete. Checkpoints == Good. Or maybe you can only start an entire new level with a hold upgrade. I don't know - I've not really had a chance to try it yet.
07-28-2003 at 01:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
:twak <- = me.

Sorry! I checked my levels 2 and 3 stairs but assumed level 1 would be OK because I hadn't modified it...

*sigh* OK, fully playable version (2.1) is posted above now.

"Oook!"
07-28-2003 at 08:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
icon Re: Re: Dinfro Budkin's winecellars v2 (0)  
...almost

The stairs for the second level do not lead to the third level, but instead complete the hold :D

On the plus side, I'm enjoying this, so I don't mind re-playing a level :) It seems to me, that the way DROD deals with any hold upgrade will necessitate replaying at least one level at the moment... I still like those checkpoints there in the exit rooms for neatness, and on the chance that DROD could make use of them at a future date when upgrading...

[Edited by StuartK on 07-28-2003 at 09:47 AM]
07-28-2003 at 10:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Gaaaah! :twak :twak :twak :twak

Stupid, stupid. Many many apologies - I have double checked all stairs and they all work. I've put a checkpoint in the Level 1 exit room too, just for Stuart. :D

OK, version 2.2 is the one to get folks. Sorry for any inconvenience.

"Oook!"
07-28-2003 at 02:04 PM
Quath
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
I enjoyed this hold. It had a lot of well balanced and thought out rooms.

Quath
07-31-2003 at 01:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Quath
I enjoyed this hold. It had a lot of well balanced and well thought out rooms.

Quath
07-31-2003 at 01:06 AM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Re: Dinfro Budkin's winecellars v2 (0)  
Quath wrote:
I enjoyed this hold. It had a lot of well balanced and thought out rooms.

Quath

Quath wrote:
I enjoyed this hold. It had a lot of well balanced and well thought out rooms.

Quath

The hold so nice they complimented it twice!

:D

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer on 07-31-2003 at 01:42 AM]

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-31-2003 at 01:13 AM
Quath
Heh. That is what I get for trying to edit after I already hit "send reply." :glasses

Quath
07-31-2003 at 01:40 AM
Oneiromancer
Hey, I finally got around to beating this, it was pretty fun! If you aren't planning on adding more to it you could certainly add it to the Holds forum, I think it is a pretty well polished small hold.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-04-2003 at 09:05 PM
krammer
Thanks, Oneiro... somehow I didn't think it was really good enough to be submitted, I expected it had sunk into obscurity, but I suppose it can't be that awful.... :unsure

OK, you've convinced me, it's going in. :D

"Oook!"
12-05-2003 at 05:35 PM
Oneiromancer
krammer wrote:
somehow I didn't think it was really good enough to be submitted

If you think it's finished, it's up to the rest of us to decide whether it's good enough, through the voting procedures in the Holds forum. Yes, please post it there, post-haste! :)

Game on,

12-05-2003 at 05:55 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Dinfro Budkin's winecellars v2
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com