Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : I Ching Contest Entries : I Ching Contest Level (Agaricus) : Entrance
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
janneke
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
IP: Logged
icon I Ching Contest Entries : I Ching Contest Level (Agaricus) : Entrance (0)  
I've tried this for hours but am getting nowhere. Please could someone send me a demo (or some really good hints). Thanks
07-17-2006 at 10:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: I Ching Contest Entries : I Ching Contest Level (Agaricus) : Entrance (0)  
To be fair, this is a *hard* room. Also, if you're chasing scores, the room moves won't register if you use undo. I still wake up in the middle of the night thinking about this room.

My best advice is to remember that a diagnoal move on your behalf will result in a mimic (unable to move diagonally) to move horizontally or vertically, depending.

But the mimic will always prefer verticals if possible.

I'd probably be willing to PM you my demo (I never post them), but I need a guarantee you don't distribute it. Generally, that would be in the form of a handshake. Baring that, and with the technological age upon us, just pm me with a placebo handshake. Hints are unfortunately impossible on this level, unless you're stuck at some specific point (top right-handside comes to mind).
07-17-2006 at 11:46 PM
silver
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: I Ching Contest Entries : I Ching Contest Level (Agaricus) : Entrance (0)  
Syntax wrote:
Also, if you're chasing scores, the room moves won't register if you use undo.

buh? virtually every demo I've ever submitted (rather, had submitted to the highscore list for me by the game/client) has had undos performed while making them.

07-18-2006 at 12:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Right... but not so entrance rooms with no monsters. I've been told this bug had been fixed, but had to solve this room 8 times before it registered online. And this was only after michthro's advice to descend from the previous level and not use undo. That worked. With a room like this, you want a solution which works. Trust me :)

[EDIT]

Don't get me wrong. Most undone rooms will submit fine, but once you get as pinacky as me, you start noticing HS which won't upload. There are others out there like me. Together we have decided to start a movement.

This, it is hoped, will become the repository of all HS related conspiracies. In the meantime, only the underground know what is truly a reflection of the world above. And that includes (still) monster-less entrance rooms. I could go on about 0-move demos and the such, but I've said too much already.

Time to go back into the ninth and watch over the eighth.

[Last edited by Syntax at 07-18-2006 12:33 AM]
07-18-2006 at 12:26 AM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
I can get all the way up to here, what did I do wrong?
04-18-2007 at 05:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
That helped a ton. Thanks.
04-18-2007 at 06:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
deftriver
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 75

File: ICCE I Ching Contest Level Agaricus The Entrance one behind.demo (1.4 KB)
Downloaded 51 times.
License: Public Domain
Okay, I can get to a place where the mimic is just one behind of where it needs to be.

Here's a demo (sorry I never changed sword movement if you have sound on).

[Last edited by deftriver at 08-09-2008 02:14 PM]
08-09-2008 at 02:02 PM
deftriver
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 75
anyone? I just need that one move, and I can't figure out where I'm losing it.
08-24-2008 at 02:20 AM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2387

File: ICCE_Agaricus_Entrance_close.demo (1.4 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
deftriver wrote:

Has anyone solved this room? This is the closest I got.

Demo please! O:-

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 04-26-2009 07:37 PM]
04-26-2009 at 07:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838

File: I Ching Contest Entry (agaricus5) Entrance Solution.jpg (158.5 KB)
Downloaded 184 times.
icon Re: I Ching Contest Entries : I Ching Contest Level (Agaricus) : Entrance (+1)  
disoriented wrote:
deftriver wrote:

Has anyone solved this room? This is the closest I got.

Demo please! O:-
I can't give you a demo, but would this old template do? I orginally used it to build this room, and it discloses the solution for the second part (with an explanation for the mimic's movement, too).

Click here to view the secret text

Edit: Switched back to DROD: AE for this image. But I'm still curious: What's the forum policy on posting screenshots from TCB?

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 04-27-2009 01:10 AM]
04-26-2009 at 09:03 PM
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
You may post any screenshot of DROD: TCB anywhere, in or outside the forum.

You may modify a screenshot and post it on the forum only, for purpose of H&S and other helpful purposes.
04-26-2009 at 09:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2387
agaricus5 wrote:
I can't give you a demo, but would this old template do? I orginally used it to build this room, and it discloses the solution for the second part (with an explanation for the mimic's movement, too).

It doesn't seem to work for me. When do you step on (18,28)?

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 04-26-2009 11:37 PM]
04-26-2009 at 11:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170

File: drodscreen.jpg (166 KB)
Downloaded 62 times.
disoriented wrote:
When do you step on (18,28)?
Very late in the game.

Here's a screenshot of what my room looked like when I got there.
04-27-2009 at 12:37 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
disoriented wrote:
agaricus5 wrote:

It doesn't seem to work for me. When do you step on (18,28)?
Sorry about that. One arrow (17,27) was incorrect. If you follow the directions indicated now, it definitely works.

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 04-27-2009 01:11 AM]
04-27-2009 at 01:10 AM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : I Ching Contest Entries : I Ching Contest Level (Agaricus) : Entrance
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com