Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : request for a forum feature ((because i don't know where to post this else))
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
zaubberer
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 251
IP: Logged
icon request for a forum feature (+1)  
in the last few weeks i heard sometimes that people were out of mod points. this isn't such a bad thing to cry about, i know!

but how would be this:

all players with a rank higher than "Roachling" should earn some mod points each month. this should be staged addicted to their rank and their activity in the forum. also could be a difference built in for those who got more rank points in the past month. this would surely effect some impulses to write more messages and also not only to post stupid messages.

a nice forum feature imho!

any further suggestions? or some comments why this can't be included?

zaubberer
:wizard
06-27-2006 at 08:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
icon Re: request for a forum feature (0)  
If this would be implemented, I'd say it should be given to those Master Delvers, people who have got to 100 rank points. 30 just seems to low.
06-27-2006 at 08:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: request for a forum feature (+1)  
Actually, an income of mod points seems kinda reasonable, so that the moderators don't have to be responsible for rejuvenating the 'economy'.
06-27-2006 at 11:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
I think this is a reasonable idea, actually. Especially if, as you say, it depends on how active the user is as well, because I'm sure there are plenty of long-term lurkers who should have just as much say in modding posts up as other people..
06-28-2006 at 12:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Part of the beauty of the system is that if you have mod points, you've reached a certain standard of contributing in the forum community. I wouldn't want to circumvent that because it's what seperates this system from most other karma systems.

That said, it'd be nice if, say, competition winners got mod points to match their rank points. All of the competition winners have been top-notch people, so the values having mod points represents would still be intact. Plus it's no extra work.

Unless that's already being done. I'm not sure.

06-28-2006 at 02:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Matt; Thus why there'd be a rank point minimum to get this mod point income: if you have, oh, 100 or 500 or 1000 or /whatever/, you've generally proven that you're an okay person who does not stick pencils up your nose, and not up other people's noses either. (Unless they're into that sort of thing, I guess, and you get permission.)
06-28-2006 at 07:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zaubberer
Banjooie wrote:
Matt; Thus why there'd be a rank point minimum to get this mod point income: if you have, oh, 100 or 500 or 1000 or /whatever/, you've generally proven that you're an okay person who does not stick pencils up your nose, and not up other people's noses either. (Unless they're into that sort of thing, I guess, and you get permission.)

this were my thoughts too. but i think that it also would be possible to start the income of mod points with less than 100 or more points. it would be a appeal to grow up un the ranking system i think. so also people with a few rank points faster would be an active part of the community. and if they would do crappy things with their points they wold be fast modded back down. so the system could be self regulated. also possible to make a trial period to check out if it will work...

i would like to know what the admins are thinking about.

zaubberer
06-28-2006 at 07:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: request for a forum feature (+3)  
zaubberer wrote:
i would like to know what the admins are thinking about.
I'm currently thinking about a big bowl of chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream.

Mmmmmmm.

06-28-2006 at 07:25 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
How about an annual mod point interest rate? 4% or so sounds great... :D

np: RJD2 - Take the Picture Off (Deadringer)

06-28-2006 at 07:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
icon Re: request for a forum feature (+2)  
For what it's worth, Zauberer, I think it is a good idea that relativly new people like myself who have very few points could get a few more every so often. I have recently been much involved in a thread on the General board, where many kind members have tried to help me with a technical problem related to downloading JtRH and uploading scores.

I gave 2 individuals, who had been particularly helpful, mod points (the first time I've done that) but I discovered that to give one, I lose two and I only had 8 to start with apparently (not 18 which puzzles me a bit). Anyway the point of this ramble is that I would very much like to have given mod points to everyone who so kindly helped, or tried to, in that thread.

Under the current system there is no saying how long it might be before I get more points to distribute in that kind of situation. I'm not particularly witty and I am not knowledgable enough about DROD, or computers in general (unless anyone wants to know about using 'Sibelius'?) to earn them in helping others.

Elfstone (feeling impoverished :~( )

Edit: I modded up your first post, so down to 2 :?

[Last edited by Elfstone at 06-28-2006 07:52 PM]
06-28-2006 at 07:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
icon Re: request for a forum feature (-1)  
Sorry to be the devil's advocate here, but I'm against this idea. Look, the system works, right? Good posts get modded up, bad posts get modded down, and there are still excess points floating around. Why, look at the bar - it's at 40+ points, which doesn't feel like a mod points shortage to me at all.

If you feel a constant low of points (and we all do sometimes), be more active on the forums, or use the mod points more sparingly. And don't worry, if it was such an awesome post, someone else will probably mod it up.

Don't fix what ain't broken, is all that I'm saying.

06-29-2006 at 04:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zaubberer
Maurog wrote:
[...]
Don't fix what ain't broken, is all that I'm saying.

at first i must say that i didn't wrote this posting to earn masses of modpoints. :D
well, i'm lucky every time i get modded up, because i see that the other players got helped with my postings or like the ideas. the fact that you never should change a working system is right at all. but i think there a great exeption: if you can make the system better you should think about the change! as well too: i have not to judge about the worth of my idea! so i look forward to the finish of Schik's chocolate bowl :lol and i am really anxious to see what he will think after this! may be that it will be a nice thinkin' about some money or a new car *grin*

P.S.: and if i only started a little diskussion were others participate it will be okay.

zaubberer

P.P.S: typos? take 'em away as a gift!

[Last edited by zaubberer at 06-29-2006 09:07 AM]
06-29-2006 at 09:07 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Banjooie wrote:

Which means there's incentive to game the system? Part of the reason the rank point system has worked as well as it has is because it's not tied to anything concrete. It probably wouldn't stand up to someone dedicated to game the system, and the only way to consistently game it is to, uh, be a valuable member of the community.

I'd hesitate to give higher ranks anything, because that simply gives people an incentive to get those ranks instead of just hangin' out and being part of the community.

I much prefer just dumping a whole bunch of rank points on someone deserving. The admins get some sort of control on the system, and rank points get stirred around. Everybody wins!

06-29-2006 at 02:06 PM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
I think the bar should give out more points. :hmmm:
Click here to view the secret text

06-29-2006 at 02:09 PM
Elfstone
Maurog wrote:
Why, look at the bar - it's at 40+ points, which doesn't feel like a mod points shortage to me at all.

What is this "bar"? Is it connected to that enigmatic thread in General - The Riddle of the Bar - which cannot be read? I did a 'search', but the 14 pages it produced gave me not a hint as to what ithe Bar is, or what the riddle is.

(Sorry if this is considered off-topic a bit.)

Elfstone

06-29-2006 at 07:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Elfstone wrote:
What is this "bar"? Is it connected to that enigmatic thread in General - The Riddle of the Bar - which cannot be read?
Yep, it's the yellow progress bar at the top of the forum's main page, which

np: RJD2 - Ghostwriter (Deadringer)

06-29-2006 at 09:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
Briareos wrote:
Yep, it's the yellow progress bar at the top of the forum's main page, which

Thanks Briareos!

Elfstone.

06-29-2006 at 09:58 PM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
Elfstone wrote:
For what it's worth, Zauberer, I think it is a good idea that relativly new people like myself who have very few points could get a few more every so often.

I know I like to give mod points to people posting for *help* on Hints & Solutions, pretty much for that reason: many requests for help come from players without much past on the boards, so they could use a few mod points here and there (a somewhat detailed question and a "thank you" is all it takes to get a point or two). Of course, I haven't spent much time on Hints & Solutions of late, but that would be a different problem (namely that I'm still playing catch up).

Regarding your other query, new users start with 10 rank points but no mod points (chiefly to avoid modding up yourself with other dummy accounts). That, and the two aren't quite related, since you can sometimes gain rank points without mod points (as in contests), and rank points can be taken back from you (unlike mod points)... and there's always the Bar that gives a different amount of rank and mod points.

I have to agree with the "no automatic mod point gain" side here. The users most likely to benefit from mod points are the disenfranchised masses, not the aristocracy and the nouveaux riches of the place. We of the upper classes are much more likely to have mod points galore (I'm down to 97 mod points myself, and I'm having trouble spending them faster than I gain them), and do not need to strengthen our hold on power. I almost dare not speak about the outrageous privileges of the ruling class, which boasts of millions of mod points created seemingly out of nowhere. Truly, the royalty has little knowledge of sensible policies, or else they are cunningly trying to break down our nascent power by triggering a massive inflation that would significantly cut down on our profits.

Digressing aside, if a problem of mod points scarcity is felt to exist (I have no idea about that part myself), I think a better solution would be to encourage spending rather than increase the amount of points in the system. There might be a chance to gain a rank point for yourself after having modded up someone, or something to that effect.
06-29-2006 at 10:03 PM
Elfstone
Alneyan wrote:
Regarding your other query, new users start with 10 rank points but no mod points (chiefly to avoid modding up yourself with other dummy accounts). That, and the two aren't quite related, since you can sometimes gain rank points without mod points (as in contests), and rank points can be taken back from you (unlike mod points)...

Many thanks for clarifying that Alneyan.

and there's always the Bar that gives a different amount of rank and mod points.

I'm still a bit vague about the 'Bar'. - How does it give points? (I'm suddenly wondering if I'm not allowed to ask much about the Bar; it seems to be shrouded in mystery for the uninitiated like myself.)

Digressing aside, if a problem of mod points scarcity is felt to exist (I have no idea about that part myself), I think a better solution would be to encourage spending rather than increase the amount of points in the system. There might be a chance to gain a rank point for yourself after having modded up someone, or something to that effect.

I think that last idea is worth exploring; probably not one mod point for every one given, because that would discourage a discerning attitude in diistributing them, but perhaps for every four or five given one could be returned?

Elfstone.

06-30-2006 at 11:36 AM
Briareos
Elfstone wrote:
I'm still a bit vague about the 'Bar'. - How does it give points?

Well, don't ask me about the exact mechanics, but you get points from the Bar when the dialog says you got points from the Bar - which happens a bit more infrequently than the other results, but it does happen...
(I'm suddenly wondering if I'm not allowed to ask much about the Bar; it seems to be shrouded in mystery for the uninitiated like myself.)
Nah... the Bar itself isn't the Riddle of the Bar(TM), which is what all the mystery is about...

06-30-2006 at 11:58 AM
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
Elfstone wrote:
I'm still a bit vague about the 'Bar'. - How does it give points? (I'm suddenly wondering if I'm not allowed to ask much about the Bar; it seems to be shrouded in mystery for the uninitiated like myself.)
The bar has its very own thread over here. Might take a while to read through, but it should clear things up a fair bit.
06-30-2006 at 01:26 PM
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548

File: nice bar.jpg (7.8 KB)
Downloaded 256 times.
License: Public Domain
Briareos wrote:
Well, don't ask me about the exact mechanics, but you get points from the Bar when the dialog says you got points from the Bar - which happens a bit more infrequently than the other results, but it does happen...
like this...

[Last edited by Stephen4Louise at 06-30-2006 02:38 PM]
06-30-2006 at 02:37 PM
Elfstone
Tuttle wrote:
The bar has its very own thread over here. Might take a while to read through, but it should clear things up a fair bit.

Thanks Tuttle. Your're right; it will take a while - there's 42 pages of it! :blink

I read the final page, which made little sense, and then the first 7 pages. I'll get back to the rest of it later.

Elfstone.

06-30-2006 at 07:18 PM
Elfstone
Stephen4Louise wrote:
Briareos wrote:
like this...

-hey!!!! all I got was a tar baby squeezed out ( :no as if I didn't see enough of those things in the game) and an orb? :?

Exactly what to do with either hasn't yet dawned on me; perhaps that's the Riddle.

Elfstone.

06-30-2006 at 07:23 PM
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
Elfstone wrote:
-hey!!!! all I got was a tar baby squeezed out ( :no as if I didn't see enough of those things in the game) and an orb? :?

Exactly what to do with either hasn't yet dawned on me; perhaps that's the Riddle.

Well, the orb is tied to it. Look in your profile and you'll find you have a 'bar goodies' tab now...

06-30-2006 at 07:45 PM
Elfstone
Beef Row wrote:
Well, the orb is tied to it. Look in your profile and you'll find you have a 'bar goodies' tab now...

The orb is there, but the tar baby isn't . . . ?

Elfstone.

06-30-2006 at 09:28 PM
Alneyan
Tar babies popping up from the bar don't count. The only tar baby goodie is the one stuck in the mud, like the others ("You reach down and find / * 1 Tar Baby").

Don't worry, it'll take a while until you get all the goodies, but you should still click every once in a while. There are few delvers without the whole set of goodies now, so it shouldn't take too long for you, as there isn't much competition left. That was different back in the olden days, where a myriad of players would claw their way to the precious goodie, selling their nephew into indenture service if they had to! I remember when...

Okay, so I stood aside the crowd and picked up the goodies once the place got quieter. What can I say? I'm a craven at heart, and that doesn't make good stories.
06-30-2006 at 09:39 PM
Elfstone
Alneyan wrote:
Tar babies popping up from the bar don't count. The only tar baby goodie is the one stuck in the mud, like the others ("You reach down and find / * 1 Tar Baby").

Don't worry, it'll take a while until you get all the goodies, but you should still click every once in a while.

OK, I'll keep clicking :) I like mysteries - baffling, intriguing, bewildering, teasing, infuriating, compelling, frustrating, and thoroughly addictive. :thumbsup

Elf(clicking madly)stone.

06-30-2006 at 10:30 PM
Alneyan
Well, don't mistake me: you should only click every hour or so at most, since goodies aren't "refreshed" in less than a few hours. Clicking every minute for a couple hours like some of us did doesn't work all too well to get goodies.

Of course, there are always the occasional rank/mod points, and we should start the run to 200,000 before long... maybe it has begun already. I'm clicking away like my life depends on it!
06-30-2006 at 10:42 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
I'm pretty certain the bar no longer gives out rank/mod points... I have all 10 goodies, but have never seen such a message. The myth surrounding this kind of message must be associated with the tales of yore, probably hacked up by those same fishermen who claimed to catch the 230lb seabass.
07-01-2006 at 08:20 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : request for a forum feature ((because i don't know where to post this else))
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com