Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : "anyone edit" posts (feature request)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
IP: Logged
icon "anyone edit" posts (+1)  
looking at the "master list" posts in arch and development, we seem to be in a situation where we're reliant on one user to maintain them.

with "anyone edit", though, those posts could have the wikilike power of eternal maintenance even as the community evolves. the poster would just select "anyone edit" while posting or editing.

just a thought.

[Last edited by silver at 06-18-2006 08:22 PM]
06-18-2006 at 08:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
icon Re: "anyone edit" posts (0)  
That is a good idea, but I am very capable of managing my lists. I could have a co-owner though, in case I'm on vacation or something of the sort. Anybody?

Keep posting,
-Jeremy

06-18-2006 at 08:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
I'm not saying you're incapable, I'm saying there's a chance you won't always be a part of the DROD community. Occasionally, people change hobbies. It's true. It might not ever happen to apply to you, but it might to the next person to make a "useful list of something" post.

06-18-2006 at 08:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Fair enough, I see your point. Very good idea.

Keep posting,
-Jeremy

06-18-2006 at 08:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Krishh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 282
icon Re: "anyone edit" posts (+2)  
And then we have vandals changing and blanking these posts, and then we have an ability to revert to previous edits, and then we implement semi-protection on those lists, and then we just build in the wiki code into the forum. ( and by we, I mean Schik :)) Honestly, this seems too contrived, even if it would have it's uses. If someone who makes a post like this leaves the community, someone else (or Someone Else) can copy the list and continue it, starting a new thread.

Actually, starting a DROD wiki might not be too bad an idea, but implementing this into the forum seems to go a bit too far. Then again, this is already the greatest forum ever, with built in Caravelnet even.
06-19-2006 at 09:29 AM
UrAvgAzn
Krishh wrote:
And then we have vandals changing and blanking these posts.

I have the whole code on my computer, but reposting it every day seems a bit too much...

Keep posting,
-Jeremy

06-20-2006 at 01:56 AM
silver
I don't think our forum community is quite as big as the wikipedia community - we tend to be a little more self-filtered against vandalism. IMHO. I certainly doubt there'd be "daily reposting". Maybe annual :).

06-20-2006 at 02:56 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
silver wrote:
with "anyone edit", though, those posts could have the wikilike power of eternal maintenance even as the community evolves. the poster would just select "anyone edit" while posting or editing.
Errr... if we're concerned about vandalism - does it really have to be "anyone edit"?

How about "limited edit", with a list of users for the thread that are allowed to edit each others post, or just the first post?

And if all of the people who were allowed editing get hit by a truck simultaneously (sure it seems like a one in a million chance, but as you know these happen nine times out of ten), a moderator could edit that list and grant editing powers to the, errr, "next generation"...

06-20-2006 at 07:44 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I think the only real solution is to set everyone's posts to Anyone Edit.

It cannot fail!
06-20-2006 at 08:55 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: "anyone edit" posts (+1)  
Can anyone actually link a thread which suffers from the fact the creator is no longer present, and for which an alternative solution has not been found? Tea, cup and storm spring to mind. In a nice way.
06-20-2006 at 10:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
at my job, no one notices me unless a problem occurs. so I try to solve problems before they occur - at least when there's a potential "< 5 lines of code" solution. sorry for bringing that attitude out of work, but I thought it would be a trivial thing to implement with a potential non-trivial payoff.

06-20-2006 at 08:36 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
I like the idea of having potentially-wiki posts. Also, IIRC, adding the feature isn't that hard retroactively. Although, fully open probably wouldn't be good, I think that just one or two people (besides the admins) would be nice.
06-21-2006 at 12:28 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Some sort of cap... on the lines of "you must be X points tall to edit this post" will solve the vandals problem.

06-21-2006 at 05:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I still think this is suggestion is more trouble than it's worth. The problem it exists to solve doesn't really exist itself (as someone pointed out, if a post moderator disappears, just copy & paste the contents of the post to a new thread, have the mods unsticky the old one and sticky the new one - voila!); and the potential for trouble is too great - it's not vandals I'm worried about so much as misguided edits by well-meaning forumites that may have differing opinions about what belongs on a thread.

It's hardly a terrible idea, and if Schik wants to implement it I'm in no way opposed to it, I just don't think there's a need for it.

And Silver, I don't think people are opposed to this because you've tried to preemptively solve a problem, but I really think this is a case where something that looked like a good idea to begin with (I thought it was early on) turns out to not be the best solution as more thought is given to it.

06-21-2006 at 05:31 AM
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
icon Re: "anyone edit" posts (+1)  
This would actually be very useful on private beta boards. They get messy. I'm thinking the author could make a post with a list of all rooms, where testers edit in their (updated) comments, or at least bug reports. That way all comments for a room are in one place, so testers don't have to search through the whole board to see what's been mentioned, and it will be much easier for latecomers to catch up. (Having a thread for each room is impractical - viewing them all is a hassle.)

How exactly to use it can still be sorted out, and can be for the author to decide on, but it would help a lot.
06-21-2006 at 08:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : "anyone edit" posts (feature request)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com