Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Problems with the search
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Surnia
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23
IP: Logged
icon Problems with the search (0)  
I think the search function is not working correct. Yesterday I tried to find hints for a room in KDD. With “KDD” as topic name search I didn’t get one result, with “King Dugan’s Dungeon” I suddenly had a few hundred results. But not only for KDD, also for the King Pilchard dungeon and so on. Then I tried to search only with “Dugan’s”, again zero results (and that cannot be right!).

I can’t explain it very good, I know. Please try it yourself, you will see what I mean. I'm pretty shure before the break down I didn't have these problems.

06-14-2006 at 08:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Problems with the search (0)  
Surnia wrote:
I think the search function is not working correct. Yesterday I tried to find hints for a room in KDD. With “KDD” as topic name search I didn’t get one result, with “King Dugan’s Dungeon” I suddenly had a few hundred results. But not only for KDD, also for the King Pilchard dungeon and so on. Then I tried to search only with “Dugan’s”, again zero results (and that cannot be right!).
Yeah, the search function is a bit under-documented IMHO.

If you enter multiple words, it'll return any matching post that contains at least one of those words, i.e. "King Dugan's Dungeon" will return all posts containing either "King" or "Dugan's" or "Dungeon" or any combination of those.

Of course, if that's a bug or feature is open for discussion - I'd rather have only results containing all terms, like Google does it for instance...

06-14-2006 at 08:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Surnia
Well, I had no problems (or better the search had no problem) when I entered a phrase a few weeks ago. So I'm convinced it's a bug.

BTW: What does IMHO mean? A non-native speaker needs some help.
06-14-2006 at 08:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
IMHO = in my humble opinion
06-14-2006 at 09:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Surnia
:lol Thanks, added to the dictionary.
06-14-2006 at 09:25 AM
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
AFAIK (= as far as I know :) ), you can't search for terms of length less than four, such as "KDD". You also can't use special characters such as the apostrophe.

It really would be much better if we could search using the Google system. I've seen many sites with search functions "powered by Google". Isn't it possible to do that here? Of course I don't know what I'm talking about, and there probably are good reasons why not, but it would be nice to have.
06-14-2006 at 09:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
If you're looking for hints, the custom search page in the Hints And Solutions forum is generally a much better option than the one you're referring to. Go into the Hints And Solutions forum, then click on the "Search / New Topic" link at the top or bottom of the list. You can select a hold, then pick a room, and it'll magically find the right threads even if the subjects aren't obvious.
06-14-2006 at 11:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Surnia
@ Tuttle: I create a new thread to post my problem after clicking "submit" but I don't get a list of questions and answers. What am I doing wrong?
06-14-2006 at 12:11 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Problems with the search (+1)  
Surnia, if there are no hints for the room you're having trouble with, then it will make a new post for you. However, if you are having trouble with a room in KDD I am 99% positive that at least 1 hint thread already exists. Did you make sure to look at King Dugan's Dungeon and NOT King Dugan's Dungeon 2.0? (Even if you are playing KDD2.0, all of the hints for the non-secret rooms are almost definitely going to be in the original KDD. For secret rooms, you will want to search under KDD2.0.)If all else fails, post which room you are trying to search for and we can try it and tell you if there are hints for it already, and what your trouble might have been in finding it. (Don't post your actual question here though, save that for the hint thread when it is found or made.)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 06-14-2006 12:39 PM]
06-14-2006 at 12:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Surnia
KDD, however you write it, was just an example. When you look for Holds with names containing more than one word you possibly get so many results that it is very annoying to look for the right one. And if you want to make a clearer search (for example only with the keyword Dungan's) you probably don't get one result.

The way Tuttle described was new for me. One minute ago I made the experiment to find post for a hold I KNOW that there is a post in Hints and Solutions and this time I got a match. Ok, I learned!

Thanks to everybody!
06-14-2006 at 07:23 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Surnia, I was specifically referring to looking up rooms in the Hints & Solutions board (which is what Tuttle was describing). In that case it is important to realize that when looking for hints in KDD2, you should also check KDD. I should have been more specific, I guess.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-14-2006 at 11:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Surnia
Oneiromancer, don't worry! I did understand you, more or less ;). I'm not able to specify my thoughts sometimes. But even though we maybe were talking about different things at the end I got it. Really! I found my help with looking in both KDD 2.0 AND KDD.
06-15-2006 at 07:48 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Some serious search problems:

-Tim has never posted, or so it says
-Roach King and roach strangler share posts.

The first one has to do with the name being 3 letters - I checked a few other people's profiles with 3 letters and the same thing happened. The second probably has to do with the space.

06-16-2006 at 03:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
The first one has to do with the name being 3 letters - I checked a few other people's profiles with 3 letters and the same thing happened. The second probably has to do with the space.
Eeep.

Is it just me, or should usernames be an exact match instead of substring searching? I remember Jason mentioning a few days ago that searching for his name turns up a few posts by one Jasond as well...

np: Underworld - Pizza For Eggs (RiverRun Project)

06-16-2006 at 09:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
Briareos wrote:
Is it just me, or should usernames be an exact match instead of substring searching? I remember Jason mentioning a few days ago that searching for his name turns up a few posts by one Jasond as well...

Yes. It is very annoying having smeone else suposedly share posts with me.

06-16-2006 at 10:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
Are the search problems inherent in the board, or can something be done about them? I'm sure it worked OK in the past.

A search for Lendy gets no results, but a search for Lendy's gets three pages and shows the first. However, clicking on page 2 or 3 throws up the error "Your search phrase cannot contain special characters." It doesn't seem too sure whether special characters can be used or not. :)
06-26-2006 at 03:52 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Problems with the search
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com