Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Scores AWOL?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
IP: Logged
icon Scores AWOL? (+1)  
I've just updated Beethro's Teacher, since I got a "This hold is not published on CaravelNet", but now I can't find a single demo/high score for any room in the first and second levels, both in-game and on the High Scores page.

Even the demo of "Second Level: 3S1E" which I've just solved doesn't show up - I thought such scores would be considered valid when uploaded and would be validated whenever the spider got around to it?

But whatever room I look at, I always get "There are no high scores for this room" - am I missing something here? :look

np: Funkstörung - A8 KM34 (Appetite For Disctruction)

06-11-2006 at 07:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Scores AWOL? (0)  
Just confirming that all my "Beethro's teacher" and "Island" scores have vanished as well, and I don't seem to have any scores queued for spidering.

06-11-2006 at 08:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Ditto... except that my Beethro's Teacher HS never wanted to upload anyhows...
06-11-2006 at 09:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Also, and this may be linked to a bug I posted regarding my local demos being lost:
Played Pitways - Level 7 - Entrance
And had a demo listed. Now I don't.

There must be some process which deletes local demos, which is being called incorrectly. Also, I agree this is an entrance room with no monsters but I understand that this bug was fixed. So... Well... Either it isn't or something is deleting the demos...
06-11-2006 at 09:51 PM
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
I had 24 demos uploaded for Beethro's Teacher. Now they're all gone, and BT has moved back to "unexplored holds". Fix please?

EDIT: OK, they're back. pheee www...

[Last edited by michthro at 06-12-2006 10:47 AM]
06-12-2006 at 09:42 AM
Briareos
michthro wrote:
EDIT: OK, they're back. pheee www...
While some of my high scores show up on the High Scores pages, I still can't find a single one in-game when connected to CaravelNet... :(

np: Clint Mansell/Kronos Quartet - Winter Overture (Requiem For A Dream OST)

06-12-2006 at 03:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
You seem to be suffering from similar problems to myself.
Actual local demos are disappearing for some reason...
06-12-2006 at 03:58 PM
Briareos
Syntax wrote:
You seem to be suffering from similar problems to myself.
Actual local demos are disappearing for some reason...
Well, the demos I've recorded here are still visible in-game, it's just that the server doesn't seem to be willing to hand out the high score demos.

np: Senor Coconut - Mambo Numerique (Yellow Fever!)

06-12-2006 at 05:17 PM
michthro
Now I can't upload demos for BT. I've tried three times with L3:1W (:evil: <== Doom). Nothing happens, and I keep getting "there are no highscores for this room".
06-12-2006 at 06:59 PM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
michthro wrote:
Now I can't upload demos for BT. I've tried three times with L3:1W (:evil: <== Doom). Nothing happens, and I keep getting "there are no highscores for this room".
I turned on oh-my-god-way-more-logging-than-I-can-possibly-use mode on the server. Try again and hopefully I'll be able to figure out what's going on.

06-12-2006 at 07:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
michthro
OK, I tried again. Still nothing. However, my "hold conquered" status did register with the server. (There's a stairs bug in the hold.)
06-12-2006 at 07:53 PM
Syntax
Just had a thought regarding Beethro's Teacher. I've still only got 4 demos online, yet 18 or so local. Replaying rooms doesn't upload them either.

During the outage, my caravel.net account expired. It was during this period I was also playing this hold. Could it be possible that due to the dates of the demos, they don't get uploaded?

If someone first purchases Caravel.net, and does a full demo upload, do *all* local demos get uploaded? Otherwise, is my Caravel profile corrupt somehow (ie it thinks I'm a new member, and hence shouldn't be able to get the hold)?

Other thought is does a demo get sent on room completion if it isn't the best one locally? Otherwise it could be that DROD thinks it's already sent my demos, and isn't resending my new attempts (as they're not as optimal)...
06-13-2006 at 12:53 AM
Schik
icon Re: Scores AWOL? (+1)  
Syntax wrote:
During the outage, my caravel.net account expired. It was during this period I was also playing this hold. Could it be possible that due to the dates of the demos, they don't get uploaded?
No. It doesn't matter when you played a room. You get credit for all demos that you upload while you have CaravelNet.
Other thought is does a demo get sent on room completion if it isn't the best one locally? Otherwise it could be that DROD thinks it's already sent my demos, and isn't resending my new attempts (as they're not as optimal)...
That is correct - if the game knows you've got a better demo that was submitted, it won't submit a worse demo that you made later. I'd have to ask Mike, but I don't know if it takes into account whether or not the previous demo was accepted - I'd guess it doesn't, because the spider's not verifying them all in real-time. So that could be a problem we need to fix.

Also: I think I've found a bug that's causing all of these problems with Beethro's Teacher. I'm working on it and will let you all know when I think it is fixed.

[Last edited by Schik at 06-13-2006 03:15 AM]
06-13-2006 at 03:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Schik
icon Re: Scores AWOL? (+2)  
I believe I have fixed the bug. I don't have any progress in Beethro's Teacher, so if some of you could re-upload some demos for it or re-play a room or two to test this, I'd appreciate it.

06-13-2006 at 04:48 AM
michthro
Working again. Thanks!
06-13-2006 at 10:10 AM
Briareos
Schik wrote:
I believe I have fixed the bug. I don't have any progress in Beethro's Teacher, so if some of you could re-upload some demos for it or re-play a room or two to test this, I'd appreciate it.
The High Scores page still lists no high scores for Level 3, even though it shows one explorer for Level 4 - I guess that's a different bug, right?

06-13-2006 at 11:04 AM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
I hope I have understood this thread and am not hi-jacking it (the technical side of DROD loses me a bit), but I think this is relevant: my scores page in 'Profile' is not accurate. For instance it has KDD2 listed in the 'Explored but Unconquered Holds', (along with several other anomalies), but I have completed KDD2.

I updated my scores yesterday and again this morning, but that has made no difference.

Elfstone.

06-13-2006 at 11:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
michthro
Briareos wrote:
The High Scores page still lists no high scores for Level 3, even though it shows one explorer for Level 4 - I guess that's a different bug, right?
It lists scores for me. Have you tried uploading scores for L3 again? It will only show you scores for rooms you have conquered.
06-13-2006 at 11:15 AM
Briareos
michthro wrote:
It lists scores for me. Have you tried uploading scores for L3 again? It will only show you scores for rooms you have conquered.
Agh - I knew I was missing something, and of course my scores are at home...

06-13-2006 at 12:29 PM
Syntax
Schik wrote:
That is correct - if the game knows you've got a better demo that was submitted, it won't submit a worse demo that you made later. I'd have to ask Mike, but I don't know if it takes into account whether or not the previous demo was accepted - I'd guess it doesn't, because the spider's not verifying them all in real-time. So that could be a problem we need to fix.
Ah! That could explain a lot of the missing demos (especially if a hold gets updated - though not sure whether, at that point, it would still be an issue).
Schik wrote:
Also: I think I've found a bug that's causing all of these problems with Beethro's Teacher. I'm working on it and will let you all know when I think it is fixed.
Cheers for fixing it! :D

[EDIT]

Out of interest, does full demo upload upload only your best demos then? In that case, it means the spider is rejecting my demos, as opposed to DROD not sending them (though the intermediate case of *having had a best demo rejected, means no 2nd best demo would be sent* issue still exists).

[Last edited by Syntax at 06-13-2006 02:49 PM]
06-13-2006 at 01:02 PM
VodkaAndCoke
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 26
Similar to the troubles everyone else is having, i've lost local demo's in LMNO - Not Forgotten.
06-13-2006 at 02:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
michthro
After the last big re-verification, my Entrapment scores are gone, and the hold has moved to Unexplored Holds.
06-15-2006 at 08:38 AM
eytanz
Yup, all my Entrapment scores have completely vanished as well. Indeed, it appears that everyone's scores from Entrapment have vanished since there are only 10 scores there at the moment, all dated June 15th.

[Last edited by eytanz at 06-15-2006 08:45 AM]
06-15-2006 at 08:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
The hold was just updated very recently, and it appears that the Architect updated it with an incompatible version - i.e. a copy of the hold. Which invalidates all demos.

06-15-2006 at 12:38 PM
eytanz
Could that be prevented? I.e. have the system reject updates the are not compatible? If there's a special need people could always contact you directly, it's not like this is something that happens often.

06-15-2006 at 02:41 PM
Schik
icon Re: Scores AWOL? (+1)  
eytanz wrote:
Could that be prevented? I.e. have the system reject updates the are not compatible? If there's a special need people could always contact you directly, it's not like this is something that happens often.
It can be. In fact, that's how it originally was. I had to add in code to explicitly *allow* updates like this, because it *did* happen so often. That was all before CaravelNet however.

I do think it'd be good to force updates to be the same hold, not copies. With CaravelNet, it's just not fair to people who've worked for their high scores. I don't necessarily want to be contacted directly to fix people's holds to be compatible... I may be able to come up with a better, automated solution. Like giving the architect the ability to download a player file that is compatible with their submitted hold, which they can use to edit the original hold.

06-15-2006 at 04:01 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Ah well...at least Entrapment was a nice short hold.

Maybe a warning that the upload about to be performed will erase all high scores? I don't know how easy it is to tell this before the fact, though...

Josh

06-15-2006 at 04:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Scores AWOL?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com