Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Published.
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Published. (0)  
Hey, I got my first on-the-shelf game published! eGames Card & Board Games 1 and 2 have got some card games on there that I wrote with programming help from Krister Karlson of Webfoot. It's nothing much to brag about--just 7 small games in a budget collection. But this is the first time I've had my software physically published in a shiny box with embossed letters and all, so I thought I'd share the moment. Ah, the lovely package glints with promise and looks convincingly legitimate in the $15 section of any retail outlet!

I have to say the games in the two packs (Gin Rummy, Spades, Hearts, Canasta, Euchre, Go Fish, and Pinochle) aren't particularly expressive of me. But I am proud that I finished them all in three months, at a steady, stress-free pace, and the AI in each game plays above average to excellent. Gin Rummy is just about unbeatable unless you take notes along the way, and my Hearts would kick all over MSHearts if there was ever a match.

I've started on a new game for Webfoot which should appeal to puzzle game fans. Can't say anything more about it until it's released.

Some people may be disheartened that I'm talking about other games when there's still so much to do with DROD! Let me clarify my situation: these other games are earning me money, and for now, DROD is non-paying work with which I must unfortunately invest less of my time.

-Erik

07-22-2003 at 09:18 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
icon Re: Published. (0)  
Ah, but DROD is just so much cooler than card games. After all, what would you rather do for a living... fight off and kill hundreds of deadly monsters, or play cards? :D

But congratulations, anyway. You've done far more than I ever will.

"Oook!"
07-22-2003 at 09:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Congratulations! That's really cool!

As someone who also has a non-paying project (not quite as cool or original as DROD, but still one I care about deeply) that I'm letting languish because of other life demands, I must say that I really admire how much work you put into DROD. I wish my financial situation was such that I could afford buying games I would never play (i.e. card games) to support you (and thereby DROD), but sadly I cannot, so I will wait until there are DROD expansions to pay for.

Anyway, congratualions again :)

07-22-2003 at 10:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
ErikH2000 wrote:
Gin Rummy is just about unbeatable unless you take notes along the way, and my Hearts would kick all over MSHearts if there was ever a match.

Huh...I've never played computer Gin Rummy...although I'm not too fond of it in real life, so I probably wouldn't care. But Hearts...I remember many long nights in college playing Hearts...I got pretty good at it too. (Good enough to cause a friend of mine (who was already having a bad day) to punch a hole in the wall when I shot the moon (he did have a high opinion of his Hearts abilities which were...mostly...founded)!) Anyway, does your Hearts AI cheat like MS, or does it actually play intelligently?

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-22-2003 at 10:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: Published. (0)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
But Hearts...I remember many long nights in college playing Hearts...I got pretty good at it too. (Good enough to cause a friend of mine (who was already having a bad day) to punch a hole in the wall when I shot the moon (he did have a high opinion of his Hearts abilities which were...mostly...founded)!) Anyway, does your Hearts AI cheat like MS, or does it actually play intelligently?
It doesn't cheat, unless you call card-counting "cheating". Each computer player only knows about his cards and cards that have been publicly displayed. How dow MS Hearts cheat? Looks at other player's hands?

The one I wrote plays an older variant of Hearts which was considered The Way to Play back in 1952 or whatever. If you take a trick with a heart, you are "painted" and you can't win the hand, but also your score won't affected by taking additional hearts. The interesting thing about this is that your agenda immediately changes to getting all the other players painted, as opposed to simply minimizing the hearts that you take. If you succeed in getting each of the other players painted, nobody wins points, and points go into a pot that can be won on the next hand. So there is a little more strategy with this variant.

I win less than one game in four playing against four players, so the computer is actually better than me now.

-Erik

07-22-2003 at 10:52 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
eytanz wrote:
Congratulations! That's really cool!

As someone who also has a non-paying project (not quite as cool or original as DROD, but still one I care about deeply)
Hey, I played lots of EyAngband. It's good fun.
that I'm letting languish because of other life demands, I must say that I really admire how much work you put into DROD. I wish my financial situation was such that I could afford buying games I would never play (i.e. card games) to support you (and thereby DROD), but sadly I cannot, so I will wait until there are DROD expansions to pay for.
Thanks, Eytan. I appreciate it. Mike and I have put in a lot of time on DROD.

I just wanted to make clear that I'm not encouraging people to go and buy the eGames packs to support me or DROD. I mean, if they look fun and you got some money to blow, go for it. But I'm certainly not prodding anyone in that direction. Also, I don't make royalties from the sales of the eGames packs. I already got paid my blood money.

-Erik

07-22-2003 at 11:02 PM
ErikH2000
krammer wrote:
Ah, but DROD is just so much cooler than card games. After all, what would you rather do for a living... fight off and kill hundreds of deadly monsters, or play cards? :D
Yep, I'm agreeing with you. Also, there's so damn many card games out there. Makes me scratch my head and wonder why make more? But it was solid, enjoyable, lightly-managed work.

-Erik

07-22-2003 at 11:06 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Re: Re: Published. (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
It doesn't cheat, unless you call card-counting "cheating". Each computer player only knows about his cards and cards that have been publicly displayed. How dow MS Hearts cheat? Looks at other player's hands?

Yes. Or at least, I have been told that this is the case. Basically, this is how MS "scales" the difficulty.

On another note that you mentioned, I did also track down EyAngband. I ended up accidentally killing everyone in town trying to talk to them. I still need to try again. Even though I have been playing video and computer games since 1982 or so, I never tried any of the various Angband/Nethack games until recently, so I am kind of spoiled by the spin-offs (i.e., Diablo). Now, if the keyboard commands were the same as, say, Ultima IV, I would be right at home. Anyway, I meant to tell eytanz that it looks like a nice version of Angband, although I probably won't play it much. If I had discovered those games when I was an impressionable youth, I would have eaten them up, but since I didn't, they hold no nostalgic value for me. Oh, well.

Anyway, Erik, as eytanz said, I will happily "buy" DROD when the opportunity comes. At the very least, I should pay what the full Webfoot version cost--I have put enough time into DROD that it is well worth it. Not this month, though, since I already "donated" $25 to Sluggy Freelance. Also well worth it, IMO.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-22-2003 at 11:25 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
I will also definitely be shelling some schtuff for the release. DROD is far too good to not do so.

07-24-2003 at 03:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Congratulations!

- Gerry

07-24-2003 at 03:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
Congrats Erik! Now get back to work on DROD!

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
07-25-2003 at 03:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Malarame wrote:
Congrats Erik! Now get back to work on DROD!
Well, I'll continue to put in about 16 hours/week on DROD, and for now I'll have to spend more work time on paying projects. My schedule is brutally set.

-Erik

07-25-2003 at 04:26 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
icon Re: Re: Re: Published. (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
Well, I'll continue to put in about 16 hours/week on DROD, and for now I'll have to spend more work time on paying projects. My schedule is brutally set.
Be careful so you don't wear yourself out!

- Gerry

07-25-2003 at 06:44 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Published.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com