Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Beethro's Teacher : Second Level : 3 South
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
talund
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 95
IP: Logged
icon Beethro's Teacher : Second Level : 3 South (0)  
No matter what I do, I cannot disable enough wubbas to get through here.

If you capture them all behind the doors, you can kill two (by hitting the orb and running the trapdoors before hitting the fuse) but the remaining two block you when you go for the fuse in the long passage, you can kill three (by doing the above and also killing the brain but then you have blocked the entrance to the long passage). Also, if you kill the brain, but make it into the passage you'll never make it out. I've tried trapping three and killing one in the passage to the right but doing that cuts off the trapdoor passage so the net result is two kills and they block the long passage anyway. I suspect that even if I could kill a third, the remaining one would block the passage. While I can see that this is one where if I could figure out a way to pass through, there doesn't seem to be one.

Strong hint requested!

Okay, now I've figured out how to kill three wubbas and confirmed that the fourth, if brained, will block me. And if I kill the brain, I either block myself in or out depending on how I play it.

[Last edited by talund at 06-08-2006 03:39 PM]
06-08-2006 at 03:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: Beethro's Teacher : Second Level : 3 South (+2)  
If you look carefully, there's one place you've missed where a wubba could also be killed...
06-08-2006 at 04:12 PM
talund
Rank Points: 95
icon Re: Beethro's Teacher : Second Level : 3 South (0)  
Just gotta keep looking until you find it. Thanks.
06-08-2006 at 09:27 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I know three ways one can go about killing a wubba.

The problem is I still have to have one chasing me while I do the trapdoors, or else the trapdoor path isn't possible to deal with. There's that neat little passage thing that looks like it makes it doable, but it doesn't look like a single orb even affects that.

What the heck?

[Last edited by Banjooie at 06-12-2006 06:02 PM]
06-12-2006 at 06:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Banjooie wrote:
There's that neat little passage thing that looks like it makes it doable, but it doesn't look like a single orb even affects that.
Click here to view the secret text

Anyway... there is a way to drop the trapdoors and keep the wubba away from you...

np: Richard Devine - Scatter Fold 28 (Lipswitch)

06-12-2006 at 08:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
nobodybutyours
Rank Points: 50
I've dropped the blue doors and now I'm working my way back up through this room.

I assumed I'd need to lure a wubba into the lower passage to block the switch that was previously protected by the green door, but I don't see how that's possible. (Obviously I can lure a wubba in, but I don't see how to make it stay by the orb.) Am I missing something?
06-21-2006 at 02:44 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
icon Re: Beethro's Teacher : Second Level : 3 South (+1)  
Here's a tip:

06-21-2006 at 02:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
nobodybutyours
Rank Points: 50
Ah, right. Of course. Thanks!

06-21-2006 at 02:54 PM
key-smiter
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 121
I'm at my wit's end, admittely not a long journey . . . first, my apologies for being unable to submit a room image, and a bunch of words instead -
Regardless of what I do, there appears to be no way to navigate the bottom loop. I thought about dragging a wubba around near the brain, but that doesn't work either. So . . . may I beg the indulgence of a hint?

Thanks -
06-25-2006 at 11:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Here's a hint:

06-25-2006 at 11:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
you won't be killing the brain until the blue door is down. so don't stash a wubba in the green-door corner, either.
there's two wubba kills available to you, though one is rather sneaky.

06-25-2006 at 11:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
key-smiter
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 121
That worked, thanks. I'd tried dragging a wubba down there, but it hadn't followed me too closely until I went a little out of my way.
06-26-2006 at 12:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krepnox
Rank Points: 52
I feel like I am overlooking something obvious. I figured out the various ways to kill the wubbas. My problem is that I can either kill the brain or access the southern passage to the fuse, but I cannot figure out a way to do both. Without that, I cannot exit to the north.

Thanks
07-12-2006 at 07:26 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
krepnox wrote:
I feel like I am overlooking something obvious. I figured out the various ways to kill the wubbas. My problem is that I can either kill the brain or access the southern passage to the fuse, but I cannot figure out a way to do both. Without that, I cannot exit to the north.

Thanks

Did you enter this room from the south or from the north?

07-12-2006 at 07:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
krepnox
jbluestein wrote:

Did you enter this room from the south or from the north?

Color blindness does make this game just a touch harder, although I don't have a problem with the color you mentioned.

Thanks for the help.
07-12-2006 at 08:28 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
krepnox wrote:
Yes
07-12-2006 at 08:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
krepnox
Thanks, I appreciate the info.
07-12-2006 at 08:57 PM
Bocdoc
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
I'm really struggling to "just pass through" this level so that I can return and solve it. How do I open the bottom yellow door without getting wubba's blocking me? Thanks
03-16-2009 at 11:13 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Beethro's Teacher : Second Level : 3 South (+3)  
Bocdoc wrote:
How do I open the bottom yellow door without getting wubba's blocking me? Thanks

03-16-2009 at 11:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
JLE
Rank Points: 46
I'm stuck. First time through this room, so the blue door is up and I can't kill the brain with the western bombs.

I can kill a wubba with the western bombs, no problem, without opening the door. So the brain is still alive on this pass through, and directs the wubbas.

I can trap the the remaining three wubbas behind the non-blue doors if I want. My problems are as follows:

(1) I can't safely go down the red corridor and drop the trapdoors, nor down the northeastern corridor to drop the yellow door by the bomb, while there are ANY brained wubbas chasing me.

(2) Therefore I must either trap or destroy three wubbas before I go down the red corridor, or hit the northeastern orb. I assume I can trap wubbas near the red and yellow doors with impunity. This still leaves one wubba chasing me...

(3) Since the green door cannot be dropped on this pass (because the brain must survive), this final wubba must also be destroyed by bombs. Since the western bombs are accounted for, this leaves the little eastern corridor complex with, the wubba sitting on (28,14) whtn the bombs blow. Therefore, the last wubba must be free to follow me in there to be killed by the bombs.

(4) BUT, blowing up that bomb closes off the door at the eastern end of the red trapdoor corridor, making it impossible to traverse, and thus impossible to knock down the red door. So the wubba behind the red door will survive the blast when I blow up the central bomb.

(5) So, dropping the red trapdoors must be done BEFORE closing off the red-trapdoor corridor. But closing off this corridor is the only remaining way to kill a wubba. So the free wubba must be chasing me when I go down the red corridor.

(6) But it can't be done, because as soon as I drop either the (18,21) or (23, 21) trapdoors, the wubba - which was adjacent to me - will head for the other, get into the corridor at that end, and block me in. A non-brained wubba would be a different matter.

(7) And there isn't time to set off the eastern bombs and get into the red corridor before the door shuts.

(8) And using the little corridor in column 21 is out of the question, because that can't be opened till I hit the southern orb, and when I do that, there have to be NO free brained wubbas to block me into the southern corridor before I can get out of it.

Help?

[Last edited by JLE at 03-17-2018 12:28 AM]
03-17-2018 at 12:12 AM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
Here's the main hint:

03-17-2018 at 02:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
JLE
Rank Points: 46
Okay, done it. Now I'm on the way back. And I have a different set of problems.

Looks like *again* I can't kill the brain right away because I need to get into the southern corridor while the green door is still up (the bombs to blow up the orb to let me out, and the green door to STOP it blowing up the other orb to trap me in the corridor.)

I assume I can trap a wubba by the blue door this time, and at some point will have to trap one by the green door...

Oh, no, I don't. Trap them by the blue, yellow and red doors, the green door in that corner is a red herring, take out the trapdoors the same way as last time, take out the fourth wubba in the corridor on the right, blow up the remaining wubbas, hit the orb in the southern corridor to open the north door, then FINALLY blow up the brain...
03-17-2018 at 03:54 AM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Beethro's Teacher : Second Level : 3 South
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com