Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Tiny Jokes (Our Contest for June.) This topic has been locked
Page 1 of 5
New Topic New Poll
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged

File: StroutOffice.jpg (134.6 KB)
Downloaded 1285 times.
License: All Rights Reserved
icon Tiny Jokes (+2)  
I want you people to learn about Danforth Strout. He's an amazing man that is constantly overcoming adversity and facing new challenges--even while he's sleeping. Danforth has led an extraordinary life that we can all learn from. I've recently written a brief biography about the man:

The World's Greatest Salesman

Here is a picture of Danforth sitting in his office:

It is actually an early version of the exit screen that will appear in the upcoming release of DROD: The City Beneath. You'll notice a poster behind Danforth on the wall extolling the virtues of teamwork. Danforth likes to surround himself with positive messages of motivation. I would actually like to have more than one poster that appears on Danforth's wall. If a player is paying attention, he'd see different posters when he exits the game, and each would have a subtle joke or something not quite right about it. So this contest is about creating a poster for Danforth. Possibly, you could come up with a poster that would actually show up in DROD: The City Beneath. I'll talk about that more below.

Contest Rules

The challenge of this contest is that you have a limited amount of pixelspace to make a "tiny joke". Specifically, you'll need to submit an image file with exact dimensions of 148 x 202. So it'll be hard to do something like tell a story about a farmer and his three daughters. You're probably going to want to stick with the 1-panel gag format. But really, your only limitations are the pixels you can put into a 148 x 202 box.

...well, and good taste too.

* Keep it clean. The same rules we have for forum posts regarding swearing, sexual themes, illegal activities, etc. apply to contest entries as well.

* The joke does not have to be DROD-related or fit into the theme of a motivational message. It can be any kind of joke you like.

* Your tiny joke should be posted as an attached bitmap in a reply to this topic before the deadline of:

Local Time:06-20-2006 at 01:00 AM

* Bitmaps are accepted in the following formats: GIF, JPG, PNG, and BMP. But only use BMP if you have trouble getting your image into one of the other formats. BMP files aren't compressed very well and take people longer to download.

* You can submit up to 3 tiny jokes. The limit is to avoid creating too large of a burden for voters who will rate the jokes. If you happen to submit more than 3 jokes, I'll just choose 3 of them for the poll in some quick and reckless way. Please remove any submissions beyond 3 to make it easier for me to put the poll together. If you want to post jokes that aren't for the contest, you can always start a different topic.

* Note that this is not a submission topic. Everyone will see your jokes as they're posted. Everyone should feel free to comment. It's alright to say which ones you like or don't like. Don't worry about influencing the vote.

* Try to make your joke original, but I understand it's hard to come up with a new joke, and easy to unintentionally copy something else. Originality isn't a requirement, but it will help you do better in the contest.

* Voters will be asked to rate the jokes based on funniness and penalize jokes they feel lack originality. Artistic skill isn't a factor, but undoubtedly it can contribute to how well a joke works. If you feel discouraged about your lack of drawing skill, you might look at some cartoons by Matt Groening or Don Hertzfeld to see what can be done with very simple drawings.

* The drawing and any text that appears in the image must be completely your own work. You can't copy and paste from other sources, even if you have permission. This means no DROD graphics from any of the games can be used for the contest. Just draw it yourself. Use of photographs are okay if you took them yourself. I'm being more restrictive about this than needed for two reasons: 1. I get tired of resolving legal and moral dilemmas like some third-rate King Solomon. 2. It's really quite interesting to see what people make entirely from scratch. Rough drawings people make are often really funny or charming.

* Be sure to specify accurately what you'd like the licensing on your attached image to be. There are options for public domain, Creative Commons, and all rights reserved. If you don't care at all how your image might be reused by others in the future, just leave the default licensing of "public domain". If you don't understand what the different licensing terms mean and want to, we can definitely talk about it here on the forum. It is one of my ongoing goals to help people understand licensing and know how to use it for themselves.

Winning

After people vote, all the entries will have an average rating. Whoever has the entry with the highest rating will win 1st prize, a hundred rank points and any item of his choosing from the Prize Pile. The second and third placers, will win 50 and 25 rank points, respectively.

Only each person's highest-rated entry will be considered for contest placement. In other words, one person can only win one prize no matter how screamingly wonderful his entries are.

Getting Your Image on Danforth's Wall

I'm not necessarily going to use any of the images from the contest in DROD: The City Beneath. If you would like to simultaneously submit an entry for the contest and also to go on Danforth's office wall, then you should also follow these criteria:

* For licensing options on your attachment, either choose public domain or Creative Commons license with the option allowing commercial use. This is my cue as to whether or not the joke is available for me to use. It also cuts down on the substantial hassle of getting you to sign a release form. If you'd rather not have your image distributed in a Caravel Game (or elsewhere without your permission) then I recommend "All Rights Reserved" licensing. All images that are actually used will be attributed to their authors in the game credits.

* I'll reiterate this rule because it's doubly important for the case of distributing your work: the drawing and any text that appears in the image must be completely your own work.

* Although it isn't necessary for the contest, Danforth's wall needs a joke that looks like it might appear on a wall poster found in some overenthusiastic salesman's office. Parodies and exaggerations of business cliches work. Jokes themed around success, money, and self-absorbed quests for personal growth are great. A subtle joke that takes a few moments to get is what I really like.

* It's great if you can make some artwork that is ready-to-use, but if I really like the idea, I might end up using my own art to represent your joke.

* Use the 148 x 202 dimensions for your image even if you foresee a need to replace the art. Having the joke shown in a small image demonstrates if it can work at that size.

* If you have jokes that you don't want to enter in the contest, but think they work well for Danforth's wall, post those in a different topic so I don't get them confused with contest entries.

Alright, this should be good. I know we have some funny and creative people out there. Bring on the tiny jokes!

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 06-04-2006 11:26 PM]
06-04-2006 at 09:20 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
ErikH2000
icon Re: Tiny Jokes (0)  
There is a bug with the attached pic. Schik will get to it later, I think.

-Erik

06-04-2006 at 09:24 PM
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
Hmmmm... interesting idea. I'll have to play around with it.
06-04-2006 at 10:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
ErikH2000
Okay, Schik fixed the attachment bug, so now you can see the picture of Danforth's office.

-Erik

06-04-2006 at 11:27 PM
NekoIncardine
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 127

File: EyeInCoffee.png (13.2 KB)
Downloaded 937 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Tiny Jokes (+4)  
Oh, you know I'm entering this one!

First up: A combined pun and tired joke. :D

Dimensions of humor thought of using Scott Adams' Two Of Six Rule: Cleverness (pun), Cleverness (broken logic), Cuteness (Child-on-computer drawing style)

This image is released for free use.

Maybe I should edit it to look more like an Evil Eye...

06-05-2006 at 06:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts
ErikH2000
Extra plusses to Neko for being the first to stick his neck out. :thumbsup

-Erik

06-05-2006 at 06:22 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
The Amway salesmen make a comeback!

But there is no way I'm going to not enter this. My god, motivational posters! Brilliance!

06-05-2006 at 06:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645

File: Banjooie-Contest.gif (9.3 KB)
Downloaded 984 times.
icon Re: Tiny Jokes (+3)  
If I have to explain the joke, it's obviously not funny enough, but:

Click here to view the secret text

06-05-2006 at 06:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
icon Re: Tiny Jokes (+2)  
Probably not too good but:

All rights reserved

06-05-2006 at 08:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
Ezlo

File: Flawless.JPG (5.8 KB)
Downloaded 894 times.
Someone HAD to do this joke eventually. It's not original, but I'm proud of it anyways!

EDITED TO LOOK BETTER.

[Last edited by Ezlo at 06-05-2006 04:12 PM : Green backgrounds are ugly.]
06-05-2006 at 12:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
Banjooie
Jason wrote:

All rights reserved

Not only is it in PDF, I don't get it. o_o
06-05-2006 at 04:05 PM
ErikH2000
Jason wrote:

All rights reserved
Jason, can you get this into one of the 4 formats we're using for the contest? (JPG, GIF, PNG, BMP)

-Erik

06-05-2006 at 05:40 PM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076

File: joke-jason.jpg (44.8 KB)
Downloaded 820 times.
icon Re: Tiny Jokes (+1)  
OOOPPPPSSS!

EDIT: Edited the colors and stuff

[Last edited by Jason at 06-07-2006 11:15 AM : Edited the colors and stuff]
06-05-2006 at 06:28 PM
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961

File: persistence.jpg (36.8 KB)
Downloaded 1734 times.
icon Re: Tiny Jokes (+4)  
My first submission:

[Last edited by ClaytonW at 06-05-2006 07:05 PM]
06-05-2006 at 07:05 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Are we allowed to use JtRH graphics under any conditions?
06-05-2006 at 09:15 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
ErikH2000 wrote:
* The drawing and any text that appears in the image must be completely your own work. You can't copy and paste from other sources, even if you have permission. This means no DROD graphics from any of the games can be used for the contest. Just draw it yourself.

06-05-2006 at 09:22 PM
coppro
K thanks. Didn't see that.
06-05-2006 at 09:26 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Clayton - the picture is really cool, but I feel it would be even cooler if it said something like "cooperation" or "trust" or something that reflects an interaction between two people.

06-05-2006 at 11:46 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Persistence really drives it home for me ;)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-05-2006 at 11:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds
coppro
Pestilence - judging by the flies.
06-05-2006 at 11:57 PM
Banjooie
icon Re: Tiny Jokes (+3)  
coppro wrote:

Coppro, honey, sweetie, darling, those are knives embedded in the wall.
06-06-2006 at 12:28 AM
coppro
Banjooie wrote:
coppro wrote:

Coppro, honey, sweetie, darling, those are knives embedded in the wall.

Ummmm... I'm male?

But I guess you're right.
06-06-2006 at 12:33 AM
eytanz

File: Tinyjoke2.bmp (87.6 KB)
Downloaded 1384 times.
License: Creative Commons
Attribution 2.5
Ok, I'm not a very good artist, but I drew a couple of entries. I may replace them later on with other/better versions.

Entry 1 - this one is a variation on the "motivational poster" theme used by Erik's example and several previous posters.

[Last edited by eytanz at 06-09-2006 12:37 AM]
06-06-2006 at 04:29 AM
eytanz

File: Tinyjoke3.bmp (87.6 KB)
Downloaded 1362 times.
License: Creative Commons
Attribution 2.5
Entry 2 - A slightly different joke based on Danforth's character.

[Last edited by eytanz at 06-09-2006 12:38 AM]
06-06-2006 at 04:31 AM
coppro
I know my three jokes.

One is a MADD poster, one is the obligatory one (I'm not telling you), and the last will be [url www.despair.com]demotivational.
06-06-2006 at 04:39 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
I've got my slogan - all I need is a good drawing to go with it.

06-06-2006 at 05:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Banjooie wrote:
If I have to explain the joke, it's obviously not funny enough

This is my favourite one so far. I wish I had thought of it.

06-06-2006 at 02:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts
Ezlo
I don't get Banjooie's. I guess I'm not smart enough.
06-06-2006 at 02:39 PM
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392

File: Stay Sober.PNG (6.2 KB)
Downloaded 1502 times.
Just a random stab at this contest.

[Last edited by Pilchard VIII at 06-06-2006 04:11 PM]
06-06-2006 at 04:08 PM
eytanz
Ezlo wrote:
I don't get Banjooie's. I guess I'm not smart enough.

Me neither. I mean -

Click here to view the secret text

06-06-2006 at 04:22 PM
Page 1 of 5
New Topic New Poll
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Tiny Jokes (Our Contest for June.) This topic has been locked
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com