Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Searching for hints for KDD 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
IP: Logged
icon Searching for hints for KDD 2 (0)  
I replayed KDD 2 over the last three days, and just have 6 secret rooms to beat, so I was looking for hints. (Bad memory, can't remember how to do them) Since I don't have a CNet sub, I can't use the dedicated search in the Hints & Solutions board, so I tried the general search to search in H&S. If I use the full title of the hold, it finds 69 pages of a number of different holds that use "king" or "dungeon". If I just use "dugan" it finds nothing, and if I use "dugan's" it complains about special characters. So how do I search for help on KDD 2?
05-18-2006 at 12:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Searching for hints for KDD 2 (0)  
Hmm, I guess we didn't think about what happens when subscriptions run out. Now that we have the Purchases tab, it shouldn't be too hard to check to see if a person owns a specific SS hold. But that might take a while for Schik to implement (or he may have a better idea).

In the meantime, have you tried searching by room coordinates and level? Most of the hints will be in the traditional format. Or you could ask someone to search for the room for you and send you the link. Or you could post for a different room, and put a disclaimer in the beginning that you want help with a different room, and that you can't search for it because you aren't a subscriber anymore, so no one "reminds" you of it every time. ;)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
05-18-2006 at 12:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
Searching by room coordinates or level doesn't work. For example, searching for L21 gives no results, while searching for Level 21 gives over 200 pages. Extend that to Level 21 1 south, or similar, and the number goes up to over 300 pages and even 400 pages.

Strangely, the search won't find the KDD in the subject line of this thread.
05-18-2006 at 07:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
bandit1200 wrote:
Searching by room coordinates or level doesn't work. For example, searching for L21 gives no results, while searching for Level 21 gives over 200 pages. Extend that to Level 21 1 south, or similar, and the number goes up to over 300 pages and even 400 pages.
Is it just me, or does the search function "OR" the search terms together?

Would it be possible to add a way to choose between "OR" and "AND" (aka "posts containing any terms" and "posts containing all terms") or perhaps even searching for a full phrase? That would make those searches a lot easier, not to mention possible... :)

05-18-2006 at 07:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
bandit1200 wrote:

Strangely, the search won't find the KDD in the subject line of this thread.
The search function ignores short words so that would explain the KDD matching no pages...
05-18-2006 at 08:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bandit1200
Ah, I suppose you could say I was using the wrong syntax.
05-18-2006 at 08:47 AM
bandit1200
icon Re: Searching for hints for KDD 2 (+1)  
Well, I never found a hint for the one I really needed, on level 21, which I had big trouble with last time, but this time ended up being practically a walk through. Which all goes to show that I *did* learn something from you guys over the last couple of years. Certainly more than I did playing DROD by myself over the last 8 or 9 years, or however long it's been.

I'm finding it hard to believe I've completed it over the period since Monday night, yet the first time I beat Webfoot, it took about 6 months, albeit with a lot of help from Erik in rec.games.computer.puzzle

Ain't hindsight a wonderful thing? :)
05-18-2006 at 07:09 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Searching for hints for KDD 2
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com