Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Within a Deep Forest
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Watcher
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 902
IP: Logged
icon Re: Within a Deep Forest (+3)  
I looked around a bit, and apparently, this isn't directly related to WADF or the other games by that author. The games were made with a program called Multimedia Fusion, which apparently triggers false positives in some anti-virus programs. Here's a thread on the WADF forums discussing the problem, with most people blaming MMF, and here's a thread on the MMF forums about the problem. One person emailed AVG tech support about this, and was told that it was indeed a false positive, and the next update to AVG will fix this.

01-15-2007 at 05:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Within a Deep Forest (0)  
Thanks, Watcher. I probably should have looked into it, but, since I beat WADF and the other game, and probably wasn't going to be playing it again for a while, it was better safe than sorry. Oh well, guess I should have kept the files in quarantine instead of deleting them. :P

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-15-2007 at 06:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
AVG does throw up a lot of false positives actually.

The other day I was told the "here i am again.ogg" file in JtRH was infected. Needless to say, I didn't play it safe and decided not to uninstall *that* game :)
01-17-2007 at 09:49 PM
Oneiromancer
I guess if it had showed up on a regular scan I would have wondered about the false positive more. But since it showed up as the computer booted...it seemed like it was catching the program trying to do something. I mean, I haven't run it in months, I'm not sure why AVG would scan it unless it checks all .exe files on boot (but then why didn't it catch Treasure Tower or the ones on my backup drive). So while yeah, it seems like it is a false positive, it was more convincing to me than other ones I've had or have read about on this forum.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-17-2007 at 10:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
John259
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
I think AVG Anti-Virus only checks the boot sector and startup programs at startup. Checking all of C:\Windows or all exe files would take far too long.

If that theory is right then WADF was presumably trying to run something at startup which on the face of it sounds potentially malicious.

Or all my theories could be rubbish :)

John

[Last edited by John259 at 01-18-2007 07:00 AM]
01-18-2007 at 06:59 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Within a Deep Forest (+1)  
According to google, AVG might perform a full check on startup if it missed a scheduled check because the computer was off, or perhaps if it was doing one that was interrupted earlier (though there doesn't seem to be a reliable source for this claim, only people on message boards).

[Last edited by eytanz at 01-18-2007 12:54 PM]
01-18-2007 at 12:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
BeefontheBone
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 184
Does me having witnessed it do that count? That's generally sensible behaviour having missed a scheduled test, surely?

01-18-2007 at 08:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
I don't schedule checks so that doesn't seem to apply, unless it continually scans .exe files even without setting it to do so. Which probably isn't too bad of an idea, but oh well, I can always download them again if I really want to play them again.

Game on,

01-18-2007 at 10:03 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Within a Deep Forest
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com