Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Spiderweb Software (A thread about Spiderweb Software and most of their games.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
IP: Logged
icon Spiderweb Software (+3)  
Hello all! UrAvgAzn here. I am a big fan of Spiderweb Software. I have been enjoying their games since I was 8 (for those of you who may not know, I am an underestimated 12 year old). Anyway, their games are very unique and I think they deserve a thread. This thread is currently (5/13/06) on the Anything Board. I'm pretty sure Erik, Onei, or Schik is gonna move this to some other board. Without further ado, to those people who don't have a CLUE what Spiderweb Software is, I give you their site:

Spiderweb Software

If you want to get right to the games, starting from oldest to newest, here ya go:

Exile 1: Escape From the Pit
Exile 2: Crystal Souls
Exile 3: Ruined World
Blades of Exile
Nethergate
Avernum
Avernum 2
Avernum 3
Blades of Avernum
Geneforge
Geneforge 2
Geneforge 3
Avernum 4
Caution: These games are very addicting and are only demos!

EDIT by ErikH2000: Copied descriptions of games deleted.
EDIT by UrAvgAzn: Remaking descriptions.
Geneforge: A very nice game, first in the Geneforge series, was one of my favorites. It has a nice storyline to it and was the second spiderweb software game I played. You're a Shaper, which is a tribe. A shaper can create monsters with magic. Choose your destiny and be a Shaper, Fighter, Mage, Traitor, and many more. Do what you think is right.

Geneforge 2: Another score for Spiderweb. The graphics on this game are excellent. It is just like Geneforge 1, but you are sent on an easy mission. But then, as always, things go wrong; your teacher mysteriously dissapears, rogue monsters roam everywhere you turn, and you own allies turn on you!

Geneforge 3: The third in the impressive Geneforge series. Spiderweb fans rejoice everywhere. You are getting ready for your Shaper testing. At last, after long years of apprenticeship, the test has finally come. Once again, things go wrong. Your school is destroyed, all monsters returning once again to destroy the shapers. In a faraway land, you must find allies, get power, and find a way to destroy the rebels who caused this madness.

Nethergate: One of my old favorites, Nethergate is a fascinating game with so-so graphics. It is one of the classics of the Spiderweb Software site. The year is 60 BC. Rome is at the fullest extent of its power, under the rule of the ultimate Nero. Britannia is never left alone since they rebelled against the Roman Empire. The magic is dying, so there isn't enough to totally wipe out the Romans. Your job is to help them. Or stop them. That's one of the more interesting points of Nethergate. You can play as the Celts and defeat the Romans, or play as the Romans and restore control to the empire. The choice is yours.

Okay, thats pretty much it! Check in to the site or this forum once and a while to see if there is any news.

Keep posting,
-Jeremy

[Last edited by UrAvgAzn at 05-13-2006 11:40 PM]
05-13-2006 at 11:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Spiderweb Software (0)  
Jeremy, you can't just copy all the text from Spiderweb's site. That's copyright infringement. If you want to put in your own descriptions of the games that's fine. Also, it's more interesting to hear what you think about the games in your own words. We can all go to Spiderweb's site and get the game info there if we want.

So I'm editing out your descriptions. Also, I'm moving this to Electronic Games where it belongs.

I'm a big fan of the Avernum games, btw. You are right that Spiderweb makes some great games.

-Erik

05-13-2006 at 11:21 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
icon Re: Spiderweb Software (+1)  
Great idea. I'm now remaking the descriptions of Geneforge 1, 2, and 3, and Nethergate. Sorry for all the copyright infringement plagiarizing thingymabobber.

Keep posting,
-Jeremy

05-13-2006 at 11:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1911
I enjoyed Geneforge 2.
05-14-2006 at 12:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Let's see what can I say about the Avernum games...

Well, I actually already said a fair amount about them. I wrote a mini-review of Avernum 2 a while back, and wrote about my experiences with Avernum 1. Here's a grab bag of trivia for you about Avernum, Spiderweb, Jeff Vogel, and maybe Kevin Bacon if I can work out the connections.

* The Avernum 4 demo is on the upcoming Spring 2006 Smitemaster's Selection CD along with a bunch of other games.
* Jeff Vogel (Spiderweb founder) is a fan of DROD and has played a fair amount of it.
* Spiderweb and Caravel are in the same city. (Seattle)
* Pieter Simoons, the creator of a cool game called Subterra published by Spiderweb, hangs out on the forum and has a Subterra board here.
* Jeff has the controversial opinion that independent games are the last place to expect innovation to come from. He wrote about it here. It's kind of depressing, but a good read.
* silver Harloe, the guy who made an amazing reference to Avernum 1 and 2 is a DROD-playing fiend and hangs out on the forum. He's also worked on at least one Blades of Avernum scenario, but I'm not sure if he finished any offhand.
* silver also lives in Seattle, thereby making Seattle the Avernum capital of the world.
* I played Geneforge a bit, but didn't like it as much as Avernum because of the display and controls.

-Erik

05-14-2006 at 12:34 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Here is some news from the Spiderweb Software News Page. Last updated 4/28/06.

larrymurk wrote:
I enjoyed Geneforge 2.

Did you just download it? Or have you been playing it for a while? I enjoyed Geneforge 3 and Nethergate. Avernum, Exile, and Nethergate have basically the same controls. Erik, have you tried Exile? I'm planning to tackle the whole series very soon. The thing that I was kinda surprised about was that the Avernum series and the Exile Series, they both had Blades of Avernum or Blades of Exile right after the third one in the series. Why don't they have a Blades of Geneforge? They should also make a Nethergate 2 because it is my favorite Spiderweb Software game.
Also, I used to have SubTerra, but I wiped the memory on the computer...

Keep posting,
-Jeremy

P.S. Thnx a bunch guys! I have advanced to the rank of delver!

[Last edited by UrAvgAzn at 05-14-2006 12:56 AM]
05-14-2006 at 12:40 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Gah, this is one of the chief annoyances i get when looking up new games.
(rant)
Everyone assumes you know how games play, when you DON'T.

so can you please tell me how the games play.

which basic genre do they fit into?
What veiw is it? (First person, top down, etc)
What is its playlength? (approx.)
What is the games 'theme'? (ie, puzzles, anti war, teamwork, story etc)

(/rant)

sorry, i get kinda carried away with these things.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-15-2006 09:21 AM]
05-15-2006 at 08:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: Spiderweb Software (+4)  
Okay, for the spiderweb games, I will class them into these 4 categories to address your questions.

Exile:
    Exile 1: Escape From the Pit
    Exile 2: Crystal Souls
    Exile 3: Ruined World
    Blades of Exile

Nethergate:
    Nethergate

Avernum:
    Avernum
    Avernum 2
    Avernum 3
    Blades of Avernum
    Avernum 4

Geneforge:
    Geneforge
    Geneforge 2
    Geneforge 3

now we can make this handy table:

category   genre                       view/style   
Exile      Fantasy(nonTolkein)         2D tiled, mixed top/side view tiles, turn based (think early Ultimas)
Nethergate Historical(Rome in Britain) 2D isometric, turn based
Avernum    Fantasy(nonTolkein)         2D isometric, turn based
Geneforge  ScifiFantasy                2D isometric, "real time"

For almost all of them, the playlength is 30-60 hours. Nethergate might be double that since you can play through as either the Romans or the Celts and experience different aspects of the same story.

For "Blades of (Exile|Avernum)" the playlength is effectively infinite - they are scenario engines allowing you to design and share scenarios and played ones made by other people. But the typical downloaded scenario usually maxes out around the 5-10 hour mark.

For all of them, the theme/closest-comparison-game/genre is "RPG" - Geneforge you play one character with (potentially) a party of summoned/controlled monsters, but the rest you play a party of 4-6 characters. You do the usual RPG stuff - kill things and loot them to get treasure and raise your stats so you can kill bigger things and get phatter loot.

Some notes on my "table":

by "fantasy/non-Tolkein" I mean the setting is effectively medieval magic world, swords and sorcery, but there's no elves and dwarves (there are, however, cat-people and lizard-people which almost fill similar niches. sorta).

By turn-based v. real-time I mostly mean NPC movement relative to the characters. But Geneforge games do have a "fight mode" which restores turn-based mechanics. So, in a way, all are turn based (Geneforge is just a little easier to navigate in a point-and-click way).

Okay, that's all the things you asked. Here's some stuff you didn't:

Jeff Vogel (i.e. Mr Spiderweb) is apparently a fan of retro RPGs. Or at least sees the market for them. If you fondly remember Ultima4 (or Ultima6) you will feel very much at home in his games. If you have no clue what I'm talking about ... well, the games DO have free demos. But if you just dropped 1200 bucks on a dual PCIe cross-linked graphics card and want to test it out, you're looking in the wrong place by far.

None of the games feature the popular RPG concept of "classes" - you just have a skill list, skill costs, and points to spend. Geneforge games do, however, have 3 divisions of character which affect the cost of skills (for example, a "Shaper" spends less on "shaping" skills and more on physical combat skills, but is never prevented from having any skill or equipment)

Avernum1-3 are remakes of Exile1-3 with some mechanics changes (simplified spells and interface, slightly expanded side-quests, and of course the graphics change to isometric). Some changes were much lamented by hardcore Exile geeks, but you would probably be more at home ignoring Exile as _too_ retro. The only real reason to still love Exile is that there's like 10 years of excellent user-made scenarios for Blades of Exile. Some of which are all encompassingly excellent. There are still few scenarios for Blades of Avernum, and even some of the highly rated ones are subpar.

Geneforge1-3 are set in a world which is kinda sci-fi (in the Clarke's law sense of the word(*) ) and kinda fantasy (more swords and sorcery). The science elements usually come more towards the end of the game when you delve into the aspects of the Geneforge itself. Mostly it just feels like Very Very non-Tolkein fantasy.

In all cases, the game is solved usually mostly by combat (including magical combat), partially by collecting "quest items" and sometimes combining them, partially by employing non-combat skills (trap disarming and such), and partially by solving puzzles. And in the Geneforge games, there's typically different endings depending on some factional decisions you made in the game (support group X or Y? which seems more right? quests and rewards will vary) and some ethical decisions you make late in the game.

In any case, all the games have free demos. Might be worth a shot if you like RPGs which emphasize story over graphics and freedom over "classes".

(*) Clarke's Law (from Arthur C. Clarke. If you have no idea who that is, you really need to consider seppuku): "A sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."(**)
(**) silver Harloe wrote something he calls the "Zelazny Corollary" based mostly on Roger Zelazny's books _Creatures of Light and Darkness_ and _Lord of Light_: "A sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from godhood." But Zelazny's corollary is not germaine to the discussion.

[Last edited by silver at 05-15-2006 10:06 AM]
05-15-2006 at 10:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
silver wrote:
Arthur C. Clarke. If you have no idea who that is, you really need to consider seppuku

My brother is very disappointed, but he understands your displeasure. Well, he doesn't, but he understands that you're displeased and that's good enough.

05-15-2006 at 10:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Well said silver, I would have said the same thing, but much less complicated.

Keep posting,
-Jeremy

PS. This is my 100th post!!

[Last edited by UrAvgAzn at 05-16-2006 02:21 AM]
05-15-2006 at 11:47 AM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
*Bump* Geneforge 4 is out for mac and will be out for PC in Early 2007! I've tried it out and I think it is fun. Might want to try it out!

Clicky!

12-03-2006 at 05:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
malkav11
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 59
I have fond memories of the early versions of Exile I and II. Before Jeff found people with artistic talent to work with him. Back when it was Mac only. In fact, I have a demo of the old Exile on a CD that came with a now horrifically outdated book on game programming for the Mac. Oh, and Exile II in particular's demo lock didn't quite work. The Shareware Demon'd pop up and annoy you...and then you could stroll right past and play the rest of the game, though I never did finish. I came closest with Exile III, easily the most elaborate of the series and a lot of fun. I have the updated versions all on the Exile Trilogy CD.

I looked at Nethergate, but honestly never got into it. And then Avernum came along and I looked at that, and went "Okay, so it's Exile except with fewer party members, less spells, and slightly prettier isometric graphics. Why is it I'm meant to want this?" I dunno, I expect there's more content someplace, but I'm still not really convinced. Still, going to have to make the switch for Avernum 4 one of these days. ;P

Geneforge blows me away, though. I don't know that it's particularly innovative, per se, but I don't believe I've seen anything comparable in shareware RPGs and the particular mixture of gameplay's all but unobtainable even in commercial games. Unusual setting, different ways to tip the balance and different routes to building your character....though I'd have trouble pulling myself away from the Shaper class. I really, really love summoning minions with which to scourge my foes, and Geneforge really provides all of that I could possibly want. And of course, Vogel's trademark text pop-ups and keyword based conversation. Sure, it's old-school, but I actively prefer it. Can't comment on Geneforge 2, 3, or 4 as (my experience with Exile and sequels notwithstanding) I typically prefer to play through the original game before starting any sequels. And I'm nowhere near done with Geneforge.
01-16-2007 at 11:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
Yeah, it's where Subterra was before going there. But no, i haven't tried the other games.

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

01-17-2007 at 12:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Geneforge 4 is out! But I must admit its not as great as the first 3. The tutorial is very easy to get killed in, as well. But that's why I'm probably only going to get 1, 2, and 3, on a CD, because 4 doesn't seem worth the money. Although, it is a pretty good game.

Keep posting,

02-20-2007 at 05:54 PM
Jason
Take a look here?

02-20-2007 at 08:09 PM
UrAvgAzn
Jason wrote:
Take a look here?
Well, I meant out for the PC.

Keep posting,

02-20-2007 at 09:20 PM
malkav11
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 59
A revamped and expanded version of Nethergate (Nethergate: Resurrection) is now out for Macintosh. When it comes out for Windows, maybe I'll finally play it. It looked really interesting back in the day, but I never did get around to it. (I do have a Mac...a 7-year old Mac, but I'm sure it could still run all of Spiderweb's games. But I really prefer to game on my PC and do my internet on Mac.)

They're also working on Avernum 5. So I'll be 5 games behind soon enough... ;)

Been addicted to Geneforge most of this week. I love the way it's broken up into discrete, evenly sized areas that you can freely hop between once you've dealt with whatever issues were afflicting that region. I still love summoning my army of doom. I love all the free stats to be obtained if one's dedicated in searching them out. I love being able to wander into areas that are way beyond my level, and with enough ingenuity and stubbornness, clear them. And the story's pretty neat too.
Possible spoilers follow:

Oh...one other thing I really like about Geneforge - it's not quest-driven. I mean, I love quests. I would much rather do quests than grind or wander around some randomly generated dungeon. But quests are still not the best possible motivation for doing things in an RPG. The *best* motivation (at least that I've encountered so far) is to know that exploring will find cool stuff. Not just spangly items and experience, but interesting places to explore, cool puzzles to solve, and interesting, unique battles to fight. And that's what I get out of Geneforge. There's a few quests, and they have decent enough rewards and might dictate how you approach a couple of situations, but ultimately, exploring the island is its own reward.

[Last edited by malkav11 at 05-28-2007 09:32 AM]
05-28-2007 at 09:17 AM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
In case anyone is interested, Spiderware has recently released the code and the data files from their Blades of Exile game. Link is here.
05-28-2007 at 09:48 AM
Jason
Avernum 5 is out for Mac! PC in March 2008. It's a very good game, although the demo is shorter than usual.

[Last edited by Jason at 11-18-2007 04:05 PM]
11-18-2007 at 04:02 PM
noma
Rank Points: 1594
Spiderweb Software has announced that Avernum 6, the final chapter to the Avernum series, will be available in November for Mac and next spring for Windows.
08-18-2009 at 11:56 AM
noma
Rank Points: 1594
Avernum 6 is now out for the Mac. As usual, Spiderweb is making a large demo available.

[Last edited by noma at 11-22-2009 07:04 AM]
11-22-2009 at 07:03 AM
wonkyth
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
Good News!
Although I'm not sad that Avernum is coming to an end.
It really lost something that made Exile beautiful.
I cant wait for the new series, though. :)

But Nonsense Transforms it"
- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes

[Last edited by wonkyth at 11-28-2009 10:05 AM]
11-28-2009 at 10:03 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Would I miss anything by skipping to Geneforge 4? The interface on 1 is a giant pain, and I hear the next two games are the same.

10-15-2012 at 03:07 AM
Jason
Jatopian wrote:
Would I miss anything by skipping to Geneforge 4? The interface on 1 is a giant pain, and I hear the next two games are the same.

Nope. They stand alone quite well.

10-17-2012 at 04:53 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Spiderweb Software (A thread about Spiderweb Software and most of their games.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com