Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Deception 1,2,3,Trapt (Anyone played any of these?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
lakibuk
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
IP: Logged
icon Deception 1,2,3,Trapt (0)  
I stumbled on reviews of the Deception series which is popular in Japan. Part 1-3 for PS1, the 4th part called Trap has recently been released for PS2. The games are about setting traps in a castle to kill your enemies. The game concept sounds interesting. I will try to find Deception 2 for PS1 cause it got the best reviews. Or can anyone recommend Trapt which should be easier to get hands on? (reviews are quite mixed though).

[Last edited by lakibuk at 05-12-2006 11:48 PM]
05-12-2006 at 11:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: Deception 1,2,3,Trapt (0)  
Any reason why you are specifically looking for one of that series?
There are a lot more (better) games to play out there... Esp if you're running an SP1 emu fluidly.
05-13-2006 at 02:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Lakibuk: I like this game series, so I want to find more of it.

Syntax: But there are other games that are good, so why do you want this one?!

...what?

Esp if you're running an SP1 emu fluidly.

Of course noone around here runs PS1 emulators because they're illegal and stuff, right? Right! ^_^
05-13-2006 at 02:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Well, emulators aren't, and where I live, downloading ROMs isn't either. Yay for the courts ruling that you aren't guilty of copyright infringement if you download illegal material. Of course, uploading of course isn't legal.
05-13-2006 at 03:24 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
icon Re: Deception 1,2,3,Trapt (+1)  
Banjooie wrote:
Lakibuk: I like this game series, so I want to find more of it.

Syntax: But there are other games that are good, so why do you want this one?!
Quote? What are you quoting? Instilling assumption does not achieve anything.

lakibuk showed interest in the series, and I merely pointed out there may be better options depending on his personal taste. Quoting non verbatim however is presumptious. Either extrapolate a theory, or ignore the thread. *Never* misquote. :no

[EDIT]

Seriously!

[Last edited by Syntax at 05-13-2006 05:58 AM]
05-13-2006 at 05:56 AM
lakibuk
Syntax wroteThere are a lot more (better) games to play out there... Esp if you're running an SP1 emu fluidly.
Well, what are these better games? I already played the usual suspects like Metal Gear Solid, Wipeout XL and the like, Oddworld,too. I am interested in unconventional game concepts more than the new Gran Turismo 37. So if anyone knows if Trapt or one of its successors is worth buying, maybe he wants to share his experience. Thanks for the hint with the emulator but i prefer playing comfortably in front of the TV rather than crouching in front of a PC.

Syntax wrote:
Any reason why you are specifically looking for one of that series?
Edit: Also interested in other games that are original but over-looked,especially puzzle-oriented ones. Like Space Station Silicon Valley/N64. For PC,N64,PSX,PS2,GC preferably. Emulators for old systems like SNES or MAME are ok,too.

[Last edited by lakibuk at 05-13-2006 10:19 AM]
05-13-2006 at 10:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Ok, admittedly I haven't played any of the deception series but this review isn't too glowing. Conceptually anyhows. The reason I recommend the PC, is that some of the most innovative games are available as free downloads since the respective companies went bust, or similar. Also most gfx cards support video out, so all you need is a cable to the TV. I wouldn't recommend IF for example, as the res on the TV just doesn't lend itself to accurate detail (unless you got a hdtv). For FPS though, it's perfect (I play Doom 3 on the tv for example).

Anyways, manhunt sounds like a game you probably want to try (PC/PS2 commercial), or something like Dungeon Keeper Gold (free - see hotu). In fact, have you had a look at that site? You currently can't actually download anything from there, but I'm sure she's looking into it. In the meantime, it reviews some of the most obscure and innovative games you could possibly want.

Sounds like you like your action games, so how about some Deus EX (1 and 2), or Half-life (1 and 2)? My issue here isn't really what to recommend, but how to recommend one game over another. I've been collecting concept games for 20 years so I can recommend the volume, but I guess I tend to go more for novel "thought" games. Depends what you're really after.

Finally, I'd like to recommend "D/Generation" (abandonware) which needs to be played by all. Mixes action and puzzles, in the simplest way, to create great complexity. Or what about Cadaver (1,2 and 3)? Bitmap brothers at their peak. Innovative and immersive as hell.

Anyways... let me know your favourite 5 games, and I can more accurately recommend your next favourite 3 :)
05-13-2006 at 11:26 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Just for the record, emulators themselves are not illegal. Downloading ROMs for games that you do not own is illegal.

Know the difference.

05-13-2006 at 08:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Well, yes, Gamer, but then we get into the delicious semantics of public domain ROMs, and whether those are legal because it's using code, and then everybody starts jumping up and down because their country lets them download ROMs, and then you know what happens? Communism.

:( So I like a little untruth at the emulator level just to keep it from going there.

Also: I suspect you'd misinterpret my difficulty interpreting what you were trying to say if I quoted you directly--whereas my interpretation, quoted, makes my confusion a little more clear.

[Last edited by Banjooie at 05-14-2006 04:18 PM]
05-14-2006 at 04:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hikari
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 438
Let's try and get this thread back on track...

I'm kinda fond of the Deception/Trapt series, so I can probably speak with some minor degree of 'authority' on this subject...

Deception 1 is vastly different from the rest of the series. While it has a few nice differences from the later entries (summonable creatures), I find it to be far less enjoyable to play (not to mention the save file takes up *9* blocks on that awfully small PS1 memory card). 2 and 3, it's hard for me to decide which I like more. IMO, you'd be best off finding a used copy of 2 or 3, as they'd almost certainly be cheaper than Trapt, and have the same basic gameplay. Use *them* to decide if you like the series, then spring for Trapt if you do.

05-14-2006 at 07:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
lakibuk
Ah great,someone knows the games. Are you from Japan?
Is Trapt as good as part 2 & 3? Hard to find the older games in my region. Deception 2 is on ebay for $45(!), so it might be easier and cheaper for me to buy Trapt.

05-14-2006 at 08:13 PM
Hikari
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 438
icon Re: Deception 1,2,3,Trapt (+2)  
Hee... Nope, west-coast US. If I was from Japan, I probably wouldn't be familiar with your numbering system and wouldn't have any clue what Trapt is at all (it came out as Kagero 2 in Japan)...

Trapt is... well, it's got prettier graphics and such than the earlier entries in the series, and some of the hidden traps in the levels are particularly sadistic/fun... but I don't really think it's as good as the earlier ones.

Also, they're hard to find everywhere. It's the problem with a somewhat niche-market game that leaves a lot of people scratching their heads when you let them know what it's about.

05-15-2006 at 08:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Deception 1,2,3,Trapt (Anyone played any of these?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com