Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The wrong parity (recreation of a puzzle)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Doom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3226
IP: Logged

File: Tribute to pieguy.hold (1.6 KB)
Downloaded 105 times.
License: Other
icon The wrong parity (+3)  
Pieguy is a person who has made some interesting Chip's Challenge levels. (You can find all of those on his site)

The wrong parity is one of those. I felt like sharing it (with pg's permission), because it's possibly the best trapdoor puzzle I've ever seen. Very hard, but very satisfying to solve. You can do it all with pure logic - there's no need to cheat with programs or anything like that.

This isn't going to the holds board. Just a little challenge, in case someone is interested.
05-12-2006 at 09:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: The wrong parity (0)  
Garg. It's easy to tell when you've screwed up LONG before you do, but...I get the disturbing feeling that the first 5 or so moves are the really important ones.
05-12-2006 at 11:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
forrestfire
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
This is a pretty good puzzle. I'll try to solve it with paper and pencil when I have the time. Does it only have one solution?

05-13-2006 at 12:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Banjooie wrote:
I get the disturbing feeling that the first 5 or so moves are the really important ones.
Well, yes. That's what the name refers to. Reminds me of the KDD:L13 roach :)
forrestfire:
Does it only have one solution?
According to the author, there are 1920. Which means that most of the route is definite, with several decisions here and there. It's probably best to leave most of the choices until the end...
05-13-2006 at 12:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Curzon
Rank Points: 92
That is a cool puzzle.

I have always considered myself good at trapdoor puzzles. I will renounce this claim...
:)
05-19-2006 at 09:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Geiler Hengst
Rank Points: 64
nice puzzle... of course i couldnt solve it yet... but still sth in me tells me that you might have been able to make your point with 10% of the trapdoors... :-)
05-20-2006 at 12:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Curzon
Rank Points: 92
I solved it now and I believe you are wrong. If you have found out the reason for the name of the hold, still a very intriguing puzzle remains, that would be much less interesting to solve.

05-20-2006 at 09:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dali
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 174
It's really hard. For those who played Chips Challenge, it's a little bit like the 105th level (Short circuit), and it was the only level that I didn't complete.

05-21-2006 at 10:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : The wrong parity (recreation of a puzzle)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com