Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : re: drod1_5.dat file upload
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon re: drod1_5.dat file upload (0)  
--- In drod@yahoogroups.com, \"tiercel3 <dpgerdes@r...>\" <dpgerdes@r...> wrote:
If I heard Erik correctly, he said that you could install other people\'s demo runs by replacing the drod1_5.dat file.
That\'s right.
I would like to encourage people to upload demos to provide solutions for the many of us who frequently get stumped by DROD, or simply wish to skip a level. Personally I am hoping to find someone\'s walkthrough of level 11.
This is a good idea except the .DAT files are ***huge***. I don\'t know what the file space limit is on Yahoo Groups, but it is likely to be filled up pretty quick if several people upload .DAT files. What might be more practical is if one person had finished the whole game with a complete (or mostly complete) set of demos.

This all gets much easier after the next release when demos can be exported separately in a file that is maybe 1K instead of a 300K.
I think a CHEATs document/FAQ, or better yet walkthrough demos are a more effective way of helping people through places they are stuck than having a forum where each person has to ask the question \"HOW DO I GET THROUGH ROOM X?\"

A compilation of hints/walkthroughs would be nice. Clayton has a section of the site where some rooms are represented. If someone had the inclination, they could collect many of the hints that have been posted, organize them, and reformat them. Basically, a FAQ-keeper is needed to produce such a document.

Personally, I like the \"Invisiclues\" style of hints where you get a series of hints. The first ones are small and the last ones give away everything. You use just what you need. Sometimes you want to just get through a room, and demos are good for that. Other times you want just enough help to get going again.

I look forward to getting stuck on somebody else\'s level, since I\'ve only been able to play my levels and Lucas Swineford\'s all these years. I think I would prefer getting \"just enough\" hints, as opposed to getting the complete solution with demos. Admittedly, you can stop the demo when it gives enough away, but I just like seeing it in text better.

And not to say there isn\'t a place for demos.

To get people started I have uploaded a file dpg-demo-7-10.dat to the Files section of the Yahoo DROD Group.

Level 7 is where I was at when I turned on the option to auto save demos. What you get are solutions for levels 7 through 10, but nothing more. I have not even reviewed them. They will show all the stupid things I tried as I was attempting to solve each room for the first time. Feel free to laugh as much as you like. If they are not useful, perhaps someone else will upload some quality demos.

As I understand it, the process is to make a copy of your drod1_5.dat file and then copy this file in its place. Do this at your own risk. Just make sure you have made a good backup of your original file.
Man, we gotta hurry up with this next release so you guys have a decent way to exchange demos. If people want to upload those big files to Yahoo Groups!, I\'m not against it.

-Erik

02-23-2003 at 08:56 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
tiercel3
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon Re: re: drod1_5.dat file upload (0)  
Cool. Thanks Erik. I wasn\'t sure how this would be received. I agree that for most puzzles, gentle hints are much prefered. But some of those puddle levels and I guess 13, tho I wouldn\'t know, you just want to skip some times (no offense).

I made the mistake of not ZIPing it first. Turns out it is less than 300k zipped,
so I have replaced it with a .ZIP.

Yahoo files section says:

5645 Kb used of 20480 Kb total

02-23-2003 at 10:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : re: drod1_5.dat file upload
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes